Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Perfect Plan. (A Real Mock)

Quote Originally Posted by K-Ro 25 View Post
    I'm not saying to tank the season. With the addition of Mingo, Barwin, and Rambo, we'd still have a top 10 defense. Quinn still has potential, and I'd rather wait a year for a QB rather than dump all our faith into a mediocre prospect.
    I watched Quinn play for KC last season. He does not have potential. The guy is awful. I am of the opinion that Sanchez is mentally shot and any plan that includes him as the Starter is a plan to tank the season. I'm also not convinced that outside of the 1st pick QB Bridgewater that the 2014 QB draft is any better than 2013. For that reason alone the Jets need to try every single year to remedy the QB situation. For me this season I grab Flynn and draft one (Manuel/Bray/Wilson/Nassib) in the 3rd round. Both are low risk moves that dont preclude taking another one in 2014 if necessary.

All Pro
    I'm not saying to tank the season. With the addition of Mingo, Barwin, and Rambo, we'd still have a top 10 defense. Quinn still has potential, and I'd rather wait a year for a QB rather than dump all our faith into a mediocre prospect.
    Brady Quinn has proven over multiple opportunities to be a far worse QB than Sanchez. Gradkowski has a career completion % of 52.9. Neither of these guys is going to magically turn into a good QB. Bringing those dogs in to compete for the starting role is pointless.

And as I said before, dumping two cheap, capable players just to get a team to take Holmes for minimal cap savings doesn't help. It would make more sense to just cut Holmes and keep Wilson and Powell (which I wouldn't do either). That 3rd round Safety isn't worth those two guys.

And yes, some people were less than gentle in reacting to your 'plan' but you're not doing yourself any good by reacting with hostility. Assuming you're right and everyone else is wrong is probably not a good strategy for being taken seriously.

Rookie
    2014 is loaded at QB. Manuel and Geno are the only QB's with legit potential. Manuel is a huge risk, and may not fit the WCO, and Geno won't make it to 9. Glennon is highly innacurate, and can't feel pressure, Landry Jones is a mediocre prospect coming off a terrible season. Barkley is another Sanchez. 2014 has Bridgewater, Boyd, Manziel, Murray. This year is all about setting the foundation, and providing weapons. Hopefully Lattimore will be back to 100% in 2014. Jamison reminds me of Rice, Wheaton reminds me of a less injury prone Jeremy Maclin. Brick, Cooper, Mangold is an elite left side of the line.

That is just silly...... the ONLY thing they have in common is USC.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Laxman View Post
    That is just silly...... the ONLY thing they have in common is USC.
    Yeah, what an amazing in depth report from a "draft guru" who "constantly watches tape".

2014 is loaded at QB. Manuel and Geno are the only QB's with legit potential. Manuel is a huge risk, and may not fit the WCO, and Geno won't make it to 9. Glennon is highly innacurate, and can't feel pressure, Landry Jones is a mediocre prospect coming off a terrible season. Barkley is another Sanchez. 2014 has Bridgewater, Boyd, Manziel, Murray. This year is all about setting the foundation, and providing weapons. Hopefully Lattimore will be back to 100% in 2014. Jamison reminds me of Rice, Wheaton reminds me of a less injury prone Jeremy Maclin. Brick, Cooper, Mangold is an elite left side of the line.
    There is no doubting that this QB crop is weaker than last years but there are still some decent prospects that can be had outside of the first that I feel we should take a flyer on. Unlike most here, I wouldn't mind taking Barkley in the second as I see him as a smarter, and way more more polished version of Sanchez and a perfect fit for the WCO. What people need to remember is Sanchez was a pretty good prospect despite playing only one year so taking a player similar to his skillset is not necessarily a bad thing.

In my eyes Mark didn't pan out because of poor development by the coaches coupled with not being experienced enough in college. Carrol was right, he should have stayed one more year. Regardless, how Mark has fared shouldn't diminish what Barkley has done in his 4 years at USC. People were almost certain he'd be the #1 overall pick this year so the talent and production is definitely there. Then you also got other QB's like Nassib, Tyler Wilson, and Dysert who could be there in the 2nd and possibly even later and IMO all have pretty good potential.

While I really really don't like your approach to free agency you're draft is pretty decent. I really like Jamison too and think he has something to him. However, instead of Lattimore I'd really like to see Stepfan Taylor. Sorry if I came off a bit harsh in my first post.
    Last edited by Mogglez; 02-15-2013 at 06:19 PM.

All Pro
    Is there anything worse than a know-it-all who apparently doesn't know much?

Why is this dude is attacking people for being critical of his terrible mock?

When you present Quinn and Gradkowski as options to compete for the starting QB job, you should not be taken seriously.

When you want to trade two good players just so you can dump one of their salaries (and Holmes can be cut next year for nothing), you should not be taken seriously.

When you want to pay an average, one-dimensional TE $6-million a year, you should not be taken seriously.

When you trade a RB who is cheap and has shown some potential for the opportunity to draft an injured RB, you should not be taken seriously. And Jamison is good... you're right there. But he will be taken well before the 5th round. Tony thinks he's a 2nd round prospect.

This is honestly one of the worst off-season plans ever posted here. Everyone else in the thread apparently feels the same way.

Instead of getting all pissy, maybe you just come to grips with the fact that most of your ideas are not very good.

Everyone just needs to chill out and talk football. If you dont agree with an opinion, state yours and then support it. I actually like the draft but like others feel too much is spent in FA in your mock. We need to get away from signing FAs (Tanny Era) and save cap space and picks by drafting young blood. This draft is loaded in the mid rounds it seems.

Everything everyone else said.

Not to mention that Barwin won't be signed for a deal that low.

When you start off your post with a implausible trade, the rest of your work is ruined. Carolina is 11 mill over the cap, and they need 5mill for rookies. to absorb 10 mill more in salary they will need to cut 26 mill just to take on Wilson and Holmes. And with the real possibility that Holmes will not play this year, and the likelihood that he starts the year on PUP. Can you see Carolina saying Lets trade for a disgruntled short Wr that needs a 2nd Lis Franc procedure and is guaranteed 8 mill next year. You want to dump salary, Cro is the only chip the jets have.

I guarantee you that Howard will not play in NY for 1.3 mill as a UDFA the jets won't get comp at that level. If the pats lose Vollmer they will give him more than that to back up Cannon.

What makes you think that Sammie Lee Hill is going to be a vet min guy? Because he can't start over Fairley and Suh? A 26 you Old 6-5-325 DT is going to play for vet min? Sure no teams are out looking for young DTs.

Your assigning a 4th rd grade value to Powell the same as when he was drafted after two years of showing that he is not a better starter than Shno greene, why don't they just sign shon Greene and keep the 3rd?

Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    I give Kro a ton of credit for the work and I like the draft picks, but I think there are a few glaring mistakes:
    1- Keller- He is not worth the money
    2- Trading Kyle, Holmes and Powell for a 3rd? Powell and Kyle are young and could be starters for us this year (assuming we trade Revis or one of our CBs get hurt) so you are effectively trading away 3 starters for a question mark in the third round.
    3- I like Braylon, but he gets nothing more than a 1 year deal. No one else in the league wants him
    4- Braylon is not a #1 WR and Wheaton may or may not be an NFL WR. So you are giving whoever our QB is another grouping of bad WRs. It takes some 1st round WRs a year or so to adjust to the NFL (took Blackmon half the season). We can't ask a 3rd round pick to step in and start right away.
    Just because no one wanted him when he was rehabbing, does not mean no one wants him now. I would love the pats to make a play on Edwards, While he looked rusty he at least showed he was on his way back. I think edwards has positioned himself for a incentive laden deal. A big cheap outside threat is exactly what the pats need. And if your going to sign a one year deal, having Brady throwing you the ball will help pad your stats.

how confident are you that holmes does not start the year on IR recovering from the Liz Franc
    Last edited by patman; 02-17-2013 at 09:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    Everything everyone else said.

Not to mention that Barwin won't be signed for a deal that low.
    He did come off a bad year- you give him 1/2 of the 28 as a guarantee, he may bite. As a 2nd rd pick i don't think he has much of a bankroll and he only had the one big year.

Quote Originally Posted by nycdan View Post
    You put a lot of work into this so I don't want to be too critical...

...but you effectively traded Holmes, Wilson and Powell for a 3rd round pick.

Our best WR, our primary nickel back, and the best HB currently on our roster (the last two of whom are on cheap rookie deals)...for a 3rd round pick. Which you used to draft a Safety.

I think that's not improving our team either now or down the road.
    I would keep Powell and the 4th, but if you could get 9 mill of cap room by trading a player who is guaranteed 7.75 mill and is recovering from one of the worse injuries a WR could sustain, throwing in Wilson in the last year of his contract is worth it.

he is keeping Cro and wants to keep Revis (assumed since he is not mentioned) with those two guys making 24mill in 2014, do you think wilson is going to be re-signed- I don't. So you lose him for a year. The kid you picked up from detroit would have beaten him out this year IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkyMarkSanchez View Post
    Everyone just needs to chill out and talk football. If you dont agree with an opinion, state yours and then support it. I actually like the draft but like others feel too much is spent in FA in your mock. We need to get away from signing FAs (Tanny Era) and save cap space and picks by drafting young blood. This draft is loaded in the mid rounds it seems.
    Besides a couple of extreme jet homers, this is a very civil site. The OP is just too thin skinned and insulted fellow posters who disagreed with him as having no knowledge.

When in his mock off season the lynch pin move is trading a severely injured player who won't even begin his rehab until after the draft- with 2 drug strikes on him, and known as a bad locker room guy with 2 previous teams with a 11mill dollar salary (not cap hit-salary) to a team that is already 11mill over the cap.

When you place that scenario in print and ask fans to comment, you reap what you sow.