Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sequestration

Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Studies have shown that Head start....after billions of dollars, provides NO TANGIBLE results. Yet we want more.....???
    Depends on what results you want.

FTR, there are conflicting studies.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Studies have shown that Head start....after billions of dollars, provides NO TANGIBLE results. Yet we want more.....???
    Kind of like No Child Left Behind, eh? Which party backed that white elephant?

Look, I don't fault the pols, Republican or Democrat for trying. We all want something better for our kids. Yes?

All League
    Sequestration was designed by a combined team of Republicans and Democrats. Hell, it's one of the few instances you can point to where the opposing sides got together on something. It was voted in by both. Those of you trying to "blame" it on the other "team," especially you trying to pin it on the president, are completely exhibiting how biased and clueless you are.
    Last edited by BushyTheBeaver; 02-16-2013 at 11:33 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by BushyTheBeaver View Post
    Sequestration was designed by a combined team of Republicans and Democrats. Hell, it's one of the few instances you can point to where the opposing sides got together on something. It was voted in by both.
    I agree. And this is symbolic of our incompetent legislators. The two sides put their heads together, come to an agreement and then both sides claim it is disaster. Goes to show you that gov't basically can't anything right and they are basically admitting it. We are better off with checks and balances and when both sides are at odds b.c when they come together things like this happens. Just like the deal in 2011 that birthed the "fiscal cliff".

I have ZERO faith in our government's ability to fix Social Security, Welfare, Healthcare and the national debt. In a perfect world I wish we could hire competing private consultants in each field, let them work on it for a year or so and come up with a decision that both sides are bound to. I would have more faith in that.

I get what you are saying, but your answer to this would be hiring consultants? Maybe we can get a used car salesman to run the DOD.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I agree. And this is symbolic of our incompetent legislators. The two sides put their heads together, come to an agreement and then both sides claim it is disaster. Goes to show you that gov't basically can't anything right and they are basically admitting it. We are better off with checks and balances and when both sides are at odds b.c when they come together things like this happens. Just like the deal in 2011 that birthed the "fiscal cliff".

I have ZERO faith in our government's ability to fix Social Security, Welfare, Healthcare and the national debt. In a perfect world I wish we could hire competing private consultants in each field, let them work on it for a year or so and come up with a decision that both sides are bound to. I would have more faith in that.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by cr726 View Post
    I get what you are saying, but your answer to this would be hiring consultants? Maybe we can get a used car salesman to run the DOD.

You cannot equate those two. Thousands of successful corporations hire consultants. Heck, we just watched the Jets do it.

But my main point was I would have more faith in consultants forming a solution than politicians. Obviously it isn't a perfect solution but I think it is the better of the two. We may not like it but the truth is that gov't has become a business. And most of these politicians have no idea what it is to be efficient.

That is why I suggest hiring experts in every field and let them do the work and come up with a solution. Most politicians are not finance experts or healthcare experts. IMO the overwhelming majority of them are experts in absolutely nothing. We face complicated problems and the people that will make the "solutions" are pretty much laymen.

They are already in D.C., they are called Lobbyists and they are a HUGE problem, not a solution.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post

You cannot equate those two. Thousands of successful corporations hire consultants. Heck, we just watched the Jets do it.

But my main point was I would have more faith in consultants forming a solution than politicians. Obviously it isn't a perfect solution but I think it is the better of the two. We may not like it but the truth is that gov't has become a business. And most of these politicians have no idea what it is to be efficient.

That is why I suggest hiring experts in every field and let them do the work and come up with a solution. Most politicians are not finance experts or healthcare experts. IMO the overwhelming majority of them are experts in absolutely nothing. We face complicated problems and the people that will make the "solutions" are pretty much laymen.

Quote Originally Posted by cr726 View Post
    They are already in D.C., they are called Lobbyists and they are a HUGE problem, not a solution.

I agree lobbyists ARE a problem. But, there's that tricky freedom of speech thing.
    "Gifts" from lobbyists of any type, including even lunches should be banned.
    Real experts should be available. But these do apppear before Congress to give outside testimony on a regualr basis. Then again, who decides who is an expert. Ds have theirs. Rs have theirs.

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefst2000 View Post
    Prior to anything happening last quarter saw growth of negative .10%. We are already in a recession according to the textbook definition. Its interesting but for once I think most everyone is in agreement to let the sequester happen.

Its funny but the plan put forward in the Senate to Cut some Farm Subsidies and close some Tax Loopholes is fine as well but not as something to replace the sequester. They should keep that plan and use it to offset corporate tax reform costs. The totals only work out to 7-8 billion in new yearly revenues but the populist nature of the tax hikes should be paired with greater reforms designed to increase business activity and job growth.

The textbook definition of recession is two down quarters

Quote Originally Posted by BushyTheBeaver View Post
    Sequestration was designed by a combined team of Republicans and Democrats. Hell, it's one of the few instances you can point to where the opposing sides got together on something. It was voted in by both. Those of you trying to "blame" it on the other "team," especially you trying to pin it on the president, are completely exhibiting how biased and clueless you are.

It was designed by the Obama administration, look it up.

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker134 View Post
    It was designed by the Obama administration, look it up.

You got a link that shows who put the meat into the sausage grinder?

Both sides voted for it.

I suspect the GOP voted for it "knowing" Mitt Romney was going to win the Presidency. But he didn't. So they are now in a bad spot.

Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    I agree lobbyists ARE a problem. But, there's that tricky freedom of speech thing.
    "Gifts" from lobbyists of any type, including even lunches should be banned.
    Real experts should be available. But these do apppear before Congress to give outside testimony on a regualr basis. Then again, who decides who is an expert. Ds have theirs. Rs have theirs.
    Oh sh1t we agree??!?!?!?