Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Time for Sanchez to walk the walk

Time for Sanchez to walk the walk

I am not surprised that the new GM wants to redo Sanchez's contract and while he could take a hard line and tell the team no he could also look at the current balance is his bank account and say "Yes" because he has something to prove.

Right now Sanchez is considered among the worst QB's in the NFL and that is not going to change until he can show the fans and other teams that he belongs in a starting role. The reality is that Sanchez is not a Brady or Manning and never will be so we need to stop comparing him to QB's like Flaco and Tom Tom. In order to succeed Sanchez needs a very good supporting cast that includes an excellent O/L and running game that scares other team. He also needs receivers who can do more with their on field moves than their mouthes.

New York is probably one of the toughest if not the toughest sports market to play in. If Sanchez takes the field at the first home game he is going to get booed but he can quickly turn that around by showing me and everyone else that the decline in play in the last two years is not his legacy.

He's considered the worst starting QB in the league because he IS the worst starting QB in the league. If he plays well next year fine, but consider this Marks last year in New York.

Jets Insider VIP
    He will never take a snap as qb of the NYJ ever again. Stop with the Sanchez threads!

Maybe rename title of thread to "Time for Sanchez to walk the plank?"

Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    He will never take a snap as qb of the NYJ ever again. Stop with the Sanchez threads!
    Well he will be our opening day QB so get used to it

Quote Originally Posted by rmeyer52 View Post
    I am not surprised that the new GM wants to redo Sanchez's contract and while he could take a hard line and tell the team no he could also look at the current balance is his bank account and say "Yes" because he has something to prove.

Right now Sanchez is considered among the worst QB's in the NFL and that is not going to change until he can show the fans and other teams that he belongs in a starting role. The reality is that Sanchez is not a Brady or Manning and never will be so we need to stop comparing him to QB's like Flaco and Tom Tom. In order to succeed Sanchez needs a very good supporting cast that includes an excellent O/L and running game that scares other team. He also needs receivers who can do more with their on field moves than their mouthes.

New York is probably one of the toughest if not the toughest sports market to play in. If Sanchez takes the field at the first home game he is going to get booed but he can quickly turn that around by showing me and everyone else that the decline in play in the last two years is not his legacy.
    And what makes you think he can do that? He never did in the last 4 seasons you saw him as the starter, so what makes you think there's hope for him?

Sanchez is done period end of subject. He doesn't even have a snowballs chance in hell of turning his play around. He's been the biggest problem that the Jets offense has had since he came into the league. If we had actually drafted a good QB in 2009, we would have been SB champs by now.

And also if you're referring to Santonio Holmes as one of the people who runs their mouth, think about this...

If Mark Sanchez had actually thrown him the ball so he can actually catch the ball then Santonio wouldn't have anything to say. Santonio Holmes would be HAPPY.
    Last edited by Mainejet; 02-15-2013 at 12:50 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Well he will be our opening day QB so get used to it
    Not a chance in hell. There would be nobody at the game.

Still people clinging like grim death to the notion that Sanchez is redeemable, acceptable or anything but a less than jag Qb that needs to be gone asap. You could take any Qb in the league, any of them at all and give them a top 5 oline, defense and running game and people will be singing the praises of the QB.

No, let it go man. Our one and only objective should be getting rid of him asap. anything that keeps him in the uniform a day longer than need be should be looked as as total failure.

What does him taking a pay cut have to do with him competing for a starting spot? The locker room will rebel if he is not given an opportunity to start just because he wants his money. Every player in that room plays for money.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri_0515 View Post
    He's considered the worst starting QB in the league because he IS the worst starting QB in the league. If he plays well next year fine, but consider this Marks last year in New York.
    This I agree with, he will get an opportunity in NY in 2013. The only way I don't see it if they draft a QB at 9

What we should really stop is talking about Sanchez taking a pay cut.

He can NOT (the union would't allow it)

Will NOT (why would anyone give back millions of dollars?)

Should NOT (The Jets are at fault for giving it to him in the first place)

IMHO it's still up in the air if he plays for this team next year (I certainly hope not) but let's PLEASE stop with the idea of him taking a pay cut.

Sanchez does not have the support of the front office. He must (MUST) get some help, in terms of OL players AND play, RB, WR, TE, playcalling, etc. Although I don't believe the abysmal offensive performance this past season is entirely his fault, a very large portion of it is in fact Mark Sanchez.

I was a supporter, but the kid is defeated in NY. Barring a major turnaround, there is little that he can do to prevent being replaced. He is playing for his career in 2013, not necessarily on the Jets, but perhaps elsewhere (anywhere).

Sanchez is terrible. BUT why would he give back a dime. He cares about the team? Proof of that is what?
    He'll get the last of his paycheck this year and be gone. Out of football or not, he will maximize his income. Actually that's smart in his position. Get it while you can.

So Sanchez is getting the same 4 year do-over as Rex?

Hall Of Fame
    Year 1 or Year 5?

As crazy as it may sound, if I were in Sanchez's shoes I would give back some of the money. I would realize that I were fleecing the team and my conscience would get to me. You may call that crazy and that is all well and good. All I can tell you is that I am telling the truth. It would bother me that I hadn't earned the money. It would bother me that I was unable to give the fans what they wanted.

Now as others have said, if the union stepped in and did not allow Sanchez to renegotiate his deal, then I he'd be forced to keep the money. But I don't believe the union can do that. All the union can do is ADVISE a player on what to do. That advice would be obvious.

If Sanchez is this big team guy like so many like to think he is, then I believe there is a possibility that he will renegotiate. I don't believe he is a team guy and therefore I think he'll keep the money like some greedy POS. But if he has a conscience (which I'll readily admit is extremely few and far between) he will renegotiate.

And it isn't as uncommon as people may think. Pete Kendall gave some money back after having what he considered a bad season. He also set himself up to be screwed by the team but that is a different story. The point is, it isn't completely unheard of. I remember in 1987 Andre Dawson handed the Chicago Cubs a blank contract and allowed them to fill in whatever amount they so chose. They chose 500,000 dollars. So a perennial all star passed up fort knox (for that day and age) money and busted his A$$ with a one year 500,000 dollar contract. He them commenced to hit 49 home runs with an over .300 batting average and EARNED sick money from the team the following season.
    Last edited by Mainejet; 02-15-2013 at 01:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Don't get my hopes up...

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    Sanchez is terrible. BUT why would he give back a dime. He cares about the team? Proof of that is what?
    He'll get the last of his paycheck this year and be gone. Out of football or not, he will maximize his income. Actually that's smart in his position. Get it while you can.
    Agreed. If someone can provide an example of a player that gave up guaranteed money without getting anything in return, please give one. Most guys who take pay cuts do so because their money is not guaranteed and take a cut to avoid being released, or do so to have the lesser amount guaranteed to them. This notion that Sanchez will just hand over millions to the Jets for nothing in return is comical.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Agreed. If someone can provide an example of a player that gave up guaranteed money without getting anything in return, please give one. Most guys who take pay cuts do so because their money is not guaranteed and take a cut to avoid being released, or do so to have the lesser amount guaranteed to them. This notion that Sanchez will just hand over millions to the Jets for nothing in return is comical.
    Exactly, Sanchez may be a pathetic QB, but he's not stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    As crazy as it may sound, if I were in Sanchez's shoes I would give back some of the money. I would realize that I were fleecing the team and my conscience would get to me. You may call that crazy and that is all well and good. All I can tell you is that I am telling the truth. It would bother me that I hadn't earned the money. It would bother me that I was unable to give the fans what they wanted.

Now as others have said, if the union stepped in and did not allow Sanchez to renegotiate his deal, then I he'd be forced to keep the money. But I don't believe the union can do that. All the union can do is ADVISE a player on what to do. That advice would be obvious.

If Sanchez is this big team guy like so many like to think he is, then I believe there is a possibility that he will renegotiate. I don't believe he is a team guy and therefore I think he'll keep the money like some greedy POS. But if he has a conscience (which I'll readily admit is extremely few and far between) he will renegotiate.

And it isn't as uncommon as people may think. Pete Kendall gave some money back after having what he considered a bad season. He also set himself up to be screwed by the team but that is a different story. The point is, it isn't completely unheard of. I remember in 1987 Andre Dawson handed the Chicago Cubs a blank contract and allowed them to fill in whatever amount they so chose. They chose 500,000 dollars. So a perennial all star passed up fort knox (for that day and age) money and busted his A$$ with a one year 500,000 dollar contract. He them commenced to hit 49 home runs with an over .300 batting average and EARNED sick money from the team the following season.
    LOL... C'mon Maine, gimme a break. It's easy to sit behind a computer and write our best of intentions, but in reality you wouldn't do so because:

A) The NFLPA would put the kibosh on that and that would be that.
    B) Though you support Rex Ryan, proving your insanity , I do declare you aren't a stupid person, and when the time came to hand back all of that guaranteed money, somewhere intelligence would kick in.