Thread: What about Drew Stanton? (um, again)

What about Drew Stanton? (um, again)

I think that we all would like to picture the Jets trading for Flynn or Foles, but there is no way to count on that. I do think we will draft a QB, but with Tebow gone we would still likely need to bring in additional competition at QB if we do not get Foles or Flynn

Heard Stanton on Sirius yesterday and he seems really intelligent and poised, and it seems to me that it would make sense to bring him in as competition. He is a UFA, and will not be real expensive. I think it would be attractive to him as well, because if we go in training camp with Tebow gone and a group of QBs that includes Sanchez, McElroy, draftee and Stanton, you would almost think he would be favored to win.

With Idzik on board, I definitely think that he will try and create a similar camp situation to Seattle last year. I think his first plan would be to get Flynn or maybe Foles, but even in that scenario Stanton might be a good signing as we move to the "competition" model he wants.

Thoughts?

All League
    probably to much bad blood still. Even with Tanny gone I'm not sure how great he feels about Rex either.

I would be on board with it though. I always liked him and was very happy when they originally picked him up. I felt it was true competition for Sanchez.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    I think that we all would like to picture the Jets trading for Flynn or Foles, but there is no way to count on that. I do think we will draft a QB, but with Tebow gone we would still likely need to bring in additional competition at QB if we do not get Foles or Flynn

Heard Stanton on Sirius yesterday and he seems really intelligent and poised, and it seems to me that it would make sense to bring him in as competition. He is a UFA, and will not be real expensive. I think it would be attractive to him as well, because if we go in training camp with Tebow gone and a group of QBs that includes Sanchez, McElroy, draftee and Stanton, you would almost think he would be favored to win.

With Idzik on board, I definitely think that he will try and create a similar camp situation to Seattle last year. I think his first plan would be to get Flynn or maybe Foles, but even in that scenario Stanton might be a good signing as we move to the "competition" model he wants.

Thoughts?
    I never understood the fascination some fans have for Stanton.. He was a 2nd rd pick in 08 and has 5 tds and 9 picks in his short playing time.. He sounds like a Kellen Clemens QB to me??

Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    I never understood the fascination some fans have for Stanton.. He was a 2nd rd pick in 08 and has 5 tds and 9 picks in his short playing time.. He sounds like a Kellen Clemens QB to me??
    + 1. I know he has not even played 16 games in a five year career. I don't get at all what the real upside of this guy is?

All Pro
    "Hello, Drew? This is the New York Jets. We'd like to offer you the chance to back-up and compete with Mark Sanchez!"

Hysterical laughter from the other end of the line, then (CLICK).

Undrafted Free Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by jets31 View Post
    probably to much bad blood still. Even with Tanny gone I'm not sure how great he feels about Rex either.

I would be on board with it though. I always liked him and was very happy when they originally picked him up. I felt it was true competition for Sanchez.
    Arians liked him, the logical spot is in Arizona.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post

Thoughts?
    I can't see any reason why not. He wanted to be a Jet if not for Tanny and his brilliant move to acquire Tim Tebow. That's the only reason why he requested the trade.

If he knew he would be in a straight up QB competition without the Tim Tebow circus, he would have stayed and seen things through. And make no mistake about it, if he had stayed he would have surely beaten out Mark Sanchez to be the starter.

Instead, there was no competition at all and the season went downhill from there.

I would definitely support the Jets trading for Drew Stanton. But he's also nothing more than a stopgap until the Jets can obtain their next franchise QB prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    I can't see any reason why not. He wanted to be a Jet if not for Tanny and his brilliant move to acquire Tim Tebow. That's the only reason why he requested the trade.

If he knew he would be in a straight up QB competition without the Tim Tebow circus, he would have stayed and seen things through. And make no mistake about it, if he had stayed he would have surely beaten out Mark Sanchez to be the starter.

Instead, there was no competition at all and the season went downhill from there.

I would definitely support the Jets trading for Drew Stanton. But he's also nothing more than a stopgap until the Jets can obtain their next franchise QB prospect.
    He's a free agent, no need for a trade.

I suspect if the Jets didn't trade for Tebow, Stanton would have been starting before the end of the season.

I understand Stanton might have been stung -- and still may be -- by what went down when he was a Jet for those 8 1/2 minutes, but there aren't many places with open QB competitions. He could win the NYJ one, so I'm guessing he'd put those hurt feelings to bed if it was a chance to start in the NFL.

But, I also think Arizona with Arians could be a destination ... Lindley, Hoyer and Skelton? All three might be gone. Arians said he'd like to work with Kolb, but Stanton might be able to give him a run. I still think he'd have an easier time beating out Sanchez than Kolb.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by jets31 View Post

Money/job trumps bad feelings.

He would have been a great idea last year but not this year. I like Stanton and for his sake he has to stay away from the JETS who screwed him last year.

I'm okay with any QB not currently on the roster except for Michael Vick and Chad Henne.

Stanton's all but certain to either re-up with Indianapolis or head to Arizona to team up with Arians. But to those who say Stanton wouldn't entertain an offer from the Jets, I think you're wrong. I'll gladly take a $500,000 check to be in New Jersey for two weeks, which is exactly what happened with him and the Jets. It is what is is. It's a business.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post

He wasn't brought in to compete for starter. Hansen's all too happy to hold the clipboard as he should be. Sanchize has been handed the starting role since day 1. There's never been competition for his job. This situation needs to change. Drastically.

Quote Originally Posted by JumbalayaJet View Post
    He wasn't brought in to compete for starter. Hansen's all too happy to hold the clipboard as he should be. Sanchize has been handed the starting role since day 1. There's never been competition for his job. This situation needs to change. Drastically.
    I could agree more, Jumba. But lets look at the obvious... If Drew Stanton had picked up the offense quickly he could have shined in the preseason. Rex Ryan and the CS cannot deny what they see with their own two eyes. If Drew Stanton played better in last years TC, they would have made the move.

And even assuming they were still too hard headed to see that a straight up QB competition was the right thing to do, they definitely couldn't have denied that Sanchez was hot garbage when the season began. Stanton would have surely gotten a chance in Sanchez's place.

I'm convinced that the cream rises to the top no matter what.

In a straight up QB competition Sanchez would have been exposed for the slug that he is. Without a QB competition, the cream still rises to the top, it'll just take a little longer.