Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Geno Smith @ 9

Geno Smith @ 9

Any chance he falls? If so do we draft him?

Quote Originally Posted by JetsOptimist View Post
    Any chance he falls? If so do we draft him?
    I don't mean this to be rude, but someone please explain the Geno Smith hype phenomena.

Over the past 6-7 years, I've follow college ball closely; although admittedly this past season I didn't pay much attention to sports in general due to other things...but I've seen him play, and I don't see a successful NFL QB.

Maybe I'm missing something.

Jets Insider VIP
    The combine is going to be great this year because all qbs will be there. Lets see how these guys perform before we make any decisions.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by greenwichjetfan View Post
    I don't mean this to be rude, but someone please explain the Geno Smith hype phenomena.

Over the past 6-7 years, I've follow college ball closely; although admittedly this past season I didn't pay much attention to sports in general due to other things...but I've seen him play, and I don't see a successful NFL QB.

The skinniest girl at the fat farm gets a lot of attention.

Same here.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    The combine is going to be great this year because all qbs will be there. Lets see how these guys perform before we make any decisions.
    I really hope we don't choose a QB based on his combine performance...

Or any player for that matter.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    The combine is a poor way to evaluate a QB. QBs throwing in shorts doesnt really tell you anything. You can get an idea of arm strength, but thats about it.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    The combine is a poor way to evaluate a QB. QBs throwing in shorts doesnt really tell you anything. You can get an idea of arm strength, but thats about it.
    and accuracy in a benign environment. It is only part of the evaluation process.

Quote Originally Posted by greenwichjetfan View Post

QBs of much less talent have gone #1 overall. He is a Stafford clone. I didn't like Stafford coming out but he has had a good career so far. If Geno is a healthier Stafford he is well worth a top 5 pick. People still bash Stafford but he had a lot of success his 1st few years when healthy. Very little chance he makes it past teams like KC, Buff, Zona, Philly, and Jax who are all in bad shape QB wise. He actually be a perfect fit for some of those team Os right now as well. He fits the needs and Os of a lot of those teams. That said I don't think he would be the best fit for what we are trying to do. The JETS unlike most of those teams are not trying to create a college style O. 3 years ago I would have agreed Geno didn't look like a pro starter. But with the new rules and some crazy Andy Reid and spread option Os spreading like herpes he fits the new NFL. He has the ability and really doesn't need to change his game as much as he would have 3 years ago.

Undrafted Free Agent
    QB is about making the best of throws and all of that too! As well as speed!

All Pro
    i sincerely hope not if we were smart..............which means we will draft him and he will turn into charlie batch.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by nycdan View Post
    The skinniest girl at the fat farm gets a lot of attention.
    ... pic please ...

ljr

Veteran
    I'm really hoping that KC (Reid loves a mobile QB), Philly (fit's in Kelly's O nicely), or Buffalo snag him.
    It might allow a OLB/DE to drop to us.

I know that everyone is down on SC Qb's, but I really hope that Barkley (miraculously) falls to us in the third. Everyone seems so down on him, but he's a four year starter and was great up until this season and really wasn't that bad this year either. It could be a blessing to get a top 5 talent in the third round due to injury and perceived suck.

This is not the year to invest your top pick and future on a QB plain and simple! Either trade and move down with more picks or pick best available. Jets have so many holes to fill that I am sure they will be able to fill a couple holes with the first couple picks. They are in a great position to move down actually. Love to see them move back a few say from 9 to mid teens and still get a quality guy they want but get maybe an extra 3rd . They need to pick 2 QBs somewhere from 3-7 IMO.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by lamont_jordan_rules View Post
    ... pic please ...

ljr
    So many bad directions we could take this. But this board is above that sort of thing, no?

I wouldn't mind this pick, but I have a hard time seeing it play out where we could get Smith at 9. If he impresses at the combine and in his pro day workouts, he'll almost certainly get taken by one of the QB needy teams drafting before us (KC, Cards, Bills). If he doesn't impress scouts over the next couple months and his stock drops, I wonder if Idzik would then take a big chance and stake his GM tenure to Smith. I'm not sure. Might be too bold a move.

I just can't really see a scenario where Smith is available at #9 and we take him.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    I wouldn't mind this pick, but I have a hard time seeing it play out where we could get Smith at 9. If he impresses at the combine and in his pro day workouts, he'll almost certainly get taken by one of the QB needy teams drafting before us (KC, Cards, Bills). If he doesn't impress scouts over the next couple months and his stock drops, I wonder if Idzik would then take a big chance and stake his GM tenure to Smith. I'm not sure. Might be too bold a move.

I just can't really see a scenario where Smith is available at #9 and we take him.
    I agree. I just cant see a first year GM taking such a risk with his first pick in his first draft. Thats why a guy like Warmack makes so much sense.

I agree. I just cant see a first year GM taking such a risk with his first pick in his first draft. Thats why a guy like Warmack makes so much sense.
    Yep. Only way Smith is there for us at #9 is if he looks so-so (or worse) at combine and pre-draft workouts. That'd be too big of a risk for Idzik to take then.

Warmack very safe pick, but not likely to improve the team much or in any noticeable manner for next season. So that's kind of the opposite type of pick where it isn't a splash at all, but with a very long-term view.

If the Jets take a guard @9 they are f'ing clueless.

Quote Originally Posted by J-Diddy View Post
    If the Jets take a guard @9 they are f'ing clueless.
    No they aren't. But everyone is entitled to their opinions

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by nycdan View Post
    So many bad directions we could take this. But this board is above that sort of thing, no?
    lol -1

ljr