Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 36 of 36

Thread: Russian meteor blast injures at least 1,000 people

  1. #21
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    gainesville ga
    Posts
    1,102
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Exactly. The meteorites we find are actually slimmed down versions of what they used to be before they disintegrated on entry into our atmosphere.
    Our atmosphere, kickin' meteorites azz for billions of years!

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    Exactly. Now post 63 Utubes of the best meteorites.

    -
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMAnCgjeZ4Q

    Quote Originally Posted by jackhuntr View Post
    Our atmosphere, kickin' meteorites azz for billions of years!
    Good Guy Atmosphere, man.

  3. #23
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    19,759
    A member of the Russian Parliament is saying that it wasn't a meteor. He is claiming it was an U.S. weapons test.

    Russia’s controversial Liberal leader, Vladimir Zhirinovsky, has blamed Americans for today’s meteorite scare, local media report.
    “Those were not meteorites, it was Americans testing their new weapons,” Mr. Zhirinovsky confessed to journalists.

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    A member of the Russian Parliament is saying that it wasn't a meteor. He is claiming it was an U.S. weapons test.
    ...and this is probably the most intelligent thing Zhirinovsky has ever said.

  5. #25
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    49,999
    We're gonna start seeing a lot more of this.

  6. #26
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    19,759
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2® View Post
    We're gonna start seeing a lot more of this.
    I blame global warming.

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    A member of the Russian Parliament is saying that it wasn't a meteor. He is claiming it was an U.S. weapons test.
    That dude has wrapped himself in tinfoil.

  8. #28
    Bewildered Beast
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    SF via Strong Island
    Posts
    30,421
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2® View Post
    We're gonna start seeing a lot more of this.
    I don't care about seeing it; I WANNA FEEL IT!!!


  9. #29
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Barcelona Catalunya
    Posts
    471
    Quote Originally Posted by The Hit Stick View Post
    According to NASA, the energy released by the impact was in the hundreds of kilotons. That's 10 or more hiroshimas...I think at the time it exploded it was a little bigger than a football.
    Well that is either a mistake or they are talking purely about the shockwave which I still doubt. The meteorite landed in a lake 1km outside Chebarkul, which has a population of 46,000. A hundred kiloton bomb would have decimated a 1km area easily.

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by ricard78 View Post
    Well that is either a mistake or they are talking purely about the shockwave which I still doubt. The meteorite landed in a lake 1km outside Chebarkul, which has a population of 46,000. A hundred kiloton bomb would have decimated a 1km area easily.
    NASA disagrees with you on the power of the explosion:

    The force of the explosion measured between 300 and 500 kilotons, equivalent to a modern nuclear bomb, according to Bill Cooke, head of the Meteoroid Environment Office at NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center in Huntsville, Ala.

    http://www.latimes.com/news/science/...tory?track=rss

  11. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by ricard78 View Post
    Well that is either a mistake or they are talking purely about the shockwave which I still doubt. The meteorite landed in a lake 1km outside Chebarkul, which has a population of 46,000. A hundred kiloton bomb would have decimated a 1km area easily.
    NASA disagrees with you on the power of the explosion:

    http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/articles/43...roid-flyby.htm

  12. #32
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Barcelona Catalunya
    Posts
    471
    Quote Originally Posted by The Hit Stick View Post
    NASA disagrees with you on the power of the explosion:

    http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/articles/43...roid-flyby.htm
    I got you the second time

    And that estimate was when it was 30-50km above the earth so I get it now.
    Alot of news outlets were reporting that information as the the ground strike.

  13. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by The Hit Stick View Post
    ...and this is probably the most intelligent thing Zhirinovsky has ever said.
    He makes me appreciate Putin...

    Imagine that dude as the PM?

  14. #34
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Van down by the river
    Posts
    22,759
    Quote Originally Posted by The Hit Stick View Post
    According to NASA, the energy released by the impact was in the hundreds of kilotons. That's 10 or more hiroshimas...I think at the time it exploded it was a little bigger than a football.
    10 Hiroshima's is actually very very small.

    Hiroshima is a firecracker compared to the nuclear genies already out of their proverbial bottles....

  15. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by ricard78 View Post
    I got you the second time

    And that estimate was when it was 30-50km above the earth so I get it now.
    Alot of news outlets were reporting that information as the the ground strike.
    Right--every outlet in a rush to get the wrong news first

  16. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    A member of the Russian Parliament is saying that it wasn't a meteor. He is claiming it was an U.S. weapons test.
    Thanks Obama

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us