Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Franchise Keller

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector Oofus View Post
    Only an idiot would franchise Keller lol
    You must understand that there are novice posters here.
    Kids that are fairly new to the NFL.
    Be nice to them...

Better yet, call Bitonti and lets all meet at Pats for a cheesesteak, and then have a Jets brainstorming session...

I went to Penn, but still dream about Pats cheesesteaks years later...

Quote Originally Posted by Tackleem View Post
    Don't think of him as a tight-end. Think of him as the likely #2 target in Morhinweg's offense.

Don't think of him costing as much as a top-five TE. Think of him as the Laron Landry of the offense. A one-year rental on a prove-it deal that has a decent chance of being worth the money. TE is probably going to be the cheapest tag there is ahead of K/P.

Franchising him makes a lot of sense on three conditions:

1) He's healthy
    2) Morhinweg wants him, is excited about him.
    3) you draft a guy like Vance McDonald or Kelce in the 3rd round with a decent shot to develop in 2013 and potentially replace Keller in 2014.
    I'd love Vance McDonald , unfortunately there's too many holes on this team to think we can spend a high draft pick on a TE. But if the Jets were to draft him I'd be very happy.

I want to reiterate. You franchise Keller because you have a very shaky set of offensive skill players and a new coordinator who figures to use Keller a lot. "Keller shouldn't be paid like a top-5 TE" doesn't really figure into it at all. The reason teams franchise players is because THEY ARE NOT SURE if that player is worth a top-tier long-term contract.

And again, it's not like TE is a position like OLB or LT, where the franchise number is huge. It's six million bucks for a guy who is likely to be a big part of the offense in the short-term. Then see if you can figure out a more reasonable long-term deal or trade the guy.

Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    I agree. I don't believe there is any strong evidence to support that he is selfish and egotistical. Never once did we hear him complain that he wanted a new contract during last season, the season before, etc. Not once did we hear him bash Sanchez. He's got his faults, I don't believe the above allegations are part of them.
    Honestly, I don't know where he got the selfish and egotistical part from. Prolly pulled it from his own a$$. Agree with keeping Keller for a sensible sum. I wouldn't agree FWIW with giving him a big money contract, he hasn't done enough with his talent and athleticism ie hang tough and carry the team when he got the chance eg taking it over the middle and making the catches consistently

Jets Insider VIP
    I don't see the point in franchising him

He's a slightly above average TE.

Decent receiver, horrible blocker.

It's not like those guys are exactly hard to come by. I just can't condone giving Keller $6 million next season. Especially with how cash strapped this team is.

@RichCimini: #Jets expected to meet at combine with agent for TE Dustin Keller (free agent), per source. Franchise tag doesn't appear to be in play.

Veteran
    Offering franchise money to Keller suggests that he is worth top five tight end money. When healthy Dustin Keller is good but not near an average top five tight end in the NFL.
    Conversely, despite his poor blocking skills we have had incredibly p*ss poor tight end play over the last twenty or so years that I remember of Jets football. Looking at the current market for tight ends it looks like he is worth at least four to five million a year. I doubt the Jets can afford that and someone out there will likely offer him closer to six a year.

Putting on my Jets GM hat, if we were to somehow clear the cap space, I would offer him 4.5 million a year over four years guaranteeing eleven million.

I doubt Keller would take it but to me that's about as far as I would go.
    Last edited by Gangrene; 02-19-2013 at 01:34 PM.

All Pro
    Terrible idea.

Use that $6million to keep Landry instead.

Keller is so easy to replace.

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    I don't see the point in franchising him

He's a slightly above average TE.

Decent receiver, horrible blocker.

It's not like those guys are exactly hard to come by. I just can't condone giving Keller $6 million next season. Especially with how cash strapped this team is.
    +1

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    Terrible idea.

Use that $6million to keep Landry instead.
    agreed 100%

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Baddniss View Post
    You must understand that there are novice posters here.
    Kids that are fairly new to the NFL.
    Be nice to them...

Better yet, call Bitonti and lets all meet at Pats for a cheesesteak, and then have a Jets brainstorming session...

I went to Penn, but still dream about Pats cheesesteaks years later...
    I didn't mean in regards to posters but those within the Jets brass who'd think about or want to franchise Keller lol.

I don't know who this Bitonti dude is? but I'm always down for some Pats!

Quote Originally Posted by pcola View Post
    Franchise a TE that caught 30 balls last year? Really? Is he honestly a top 10 TE in the league?

How about a one year league minimum so he has an opportunity to prove his true value.
    yeah ... especially since he had Andrew Luck throwing him the ball and not some poser who was the worst QB in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by SizzleBear287 View Post
    Agreed- Keller was "injured" for a good chunk of the season and Cumberland proved that he's a capable enough pass catcher. Keller is probably going to want more $$ than most teams would be willing to pay him- the Jets have bigger holes and monetary issues that are higher priority than keeping Keller in green. Franchising him would be a HUGE mistake.
    Not sure what you are implying ... are you saying that Keller = Cumberland and vice versa ?? I cant wait for Keller to put up unbelievable numbers on any team that has a QB who's name does not Start with S and end in Z.

This place is full of grass is more green football geniuses. After all ... the TE is not a position of need in the WC offense ... oh wait ... snap ...

Unless we draft a TE early .. we need to keep Keller.
    Last edited by Dunnie; 02-19-2013 at 09:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector Oofus View Post
    I didn't mean in regards to posters but those within the Jets brass who'd think about or want to franchise Keller lol.
    There is no one within Jets senior brass who has ever spent more than 6 seconds thinking about franchising Keller at $6 million...

Jets fans overrate their own players. Only FA on the roster even worth consideration of the tag is Laron Landry.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    Not sure what you are implying ... are you saying that Keller = Cumberland and vice versa ?? I cant wait for Keller to put up unbelievable numbers on any team that has a QB who's name does not Start with S and end in Z.

This place is full of grass is more green football geniuses. After all ... the TE is not a position of need in the WC offense ... oh wait ... snap ...

Unless we draft a TE early .. we need to keep Keller.
    No.

Jets can sign Fasano for even cheaper who is a much better blocker and utilize Cumby as the receiving TE. Keller isn't getting big $ anyway so he should be affordable for us still.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    Not sure what you are implying ... are you saying that Keller = Cumberland and vice versa ??
    The more important questions are how big a drop-off is Keller to Cumberland and how much is that worth? I don't think that the drop-off is that much. When you consider that Keller is a former first round draft pick and Cumberland a UDFA, that's pretty surprising. Also, the younger, bigger and faster Cumberland still has a high ceiling. Remember last year he was his first year after his achilles injury and first time getting significant playing time.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Jets fans overrate their own players. Only FA on the roster even worth consideration of the tag is Laron Landry.
    Unfortunately Landry's contract stipulates that he can't be tagged.

Quote Originally Posted by crossfire View Post
    Unfortunately Landry's contract stipulates that he can't be tagged.
    If that's the case and he has the same issue as Revis then the Jets have 0 FA's worth a franchise tag. Dustin Keller is not that good.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tackleem View Post
    You franchise Keller because you have a very shaky set of offensive skill players and a new coordinator who figures to use Keller a lot. "Keller shouldn't be paid like a top-5 TE" doesn't really figure into it at all.
    Doesn't figure into it at all?

Why would the Jets pay top 5 money to a player that isn't even a top 10 player at his position? That's just dumb.

Hell, the Steelers aren't even using the tag on Mike Wallace, but you think it would be a good idea for the Jets to tag a JAG TE?