Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Franchise Keller

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    Doesn't figure into it at all?

Why would the Jets pay top 5 money to a player that isn't even a top 10 player at his position? That's just dumb.

Hell, the Steelers aren't even using the tag on Mike Wallace, but you think it would be a good idea for the Jets to tag a JAG TE?
    Putting aside whether the Jets should use the tag or not, the two arguments you make are fairly irrelevant to the situation at hand. What the Stillers situation is and specifically with Mike Wallace has very little bearing on the Jets and Keller.

And while the Franchise figure is based on the top 5 salaries, that doesn't really factor into whether the Jets should pay that number. That should be based on an independant evaluation of what he will bring to the team, what the likely replacement cost and replacement performance will be and the team's financial situation with respect to both.

And, if you look at his performance in 2011, Keller was certainly a top 10 receiving TE. Now his blocking is certainly suspect, but at this point in time, the Jets are desperate for playmakers and, when healthy, Keller is probably the best we've got.

I'm not sure if I would franchise him, but I would seriously consider what it would take to keep him for 3-4 years. Contrary to others, I don't think it will be all that easy to replace him. When he's right, he can be very difficult to stop. He's frustrating because he should be even better (and more consistent) than he is, but that doesn't mean that he isn't valuable.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Putting aside whether the Jets should use the tag or not, the two arguments you make are fairly irrelevant to the situation at hand. What the Stillers situation is and specifically with Mike Wallace has very little bearing on the Jets and Keller.

And while the Franchise figure is based on the top 5 salaries, that doesn't really factor into whether the Jets should pay that number. That should be based on an independant evaluation of what he will bring to the team, what the likely replacement cost and replacement performance will be and the team's financial situation with respect to both.

And, if you look at his performance in 2011, Keller was certainly a top 10 receiving TE. Now his blocking is certainly suspect, but at this point in time, the Jets are desperate for playmakers and, when healthy, Keller is probably the best we've got.

I'm not sure if I would franchise him, but I would seriously consider what it would take to keep him for 3-4 years. Contrary to others, I don't think it will be all that easy to replace him. When he's right, he can be very difficult to stop. He's frustrating because he should be even better (and more consistent) than he is, but that doesn't mean that he isn't valuable.
    Fair enough crash, but don't think the Jets would be better off using that $6MM trying to work out a deal with Landry (as other poster's have suggested) rather than giving Keller a 97% raise?

Quote Originally Posted by Tackleem View Post
    I want to reiterate. You franchise Keller because you have a very shaky set of offensive skill players and a new coordinator who figures to use Keller a lot. "Keller shouldn't be paid like a top-5 TE" doesn't really figure into it at all. The reason teams franchise players is because THEY ARE NOT SURE if that player is worth a top-tier long-term contract.

And again, it's not like TE is a position like OLB or LT, where the franchise number is huge. It's six million bucks for a guy who is likely to be a big part of the offense in the short-term. Then see if you can figure out a more reasonable long-term deal or trade the guy.
    Did you just buy his jersey?

In other years it would make sense to to tag him, but the 6 mill is 1/2 the cap space that the jets will have. The jets don't even know who will be throwing the ball, so you can't use all that cap room on a TE who has not been as productive to warrant it. You tag the guy his money is guranteed, and i don't think there will be a trade market for keller at 5.6 mill.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    Did you just buy his jersey?

In other years it would make sense to to tag him, but the 6 mill is 1/2 the cap space that the jets will have. The jets don't even know who will be throwing the ball, so you can't use all that cap room on a TE who has not been as productive to warrant it. You tag the guy his money is guranteed, and i don't think there will be a trade market for keller at 5.6 mill.
    Agreed. How is Keller worth 5.6 million? I find it hard to believe that on the open market he will get a multi year deal that averages 5.6 per year.

Fair enough crash, but don't think the Jets would be better off using that $6MM trying to work out a deal with Landry (as other poster's have suggested) rather than giving Keller a 97% raise?
    agree. he gave the defense a toughness and attitide that was absent with scott's demise and revis' injury. keller is ok, nothing more. i'd rather the jets draft a decent TE in the middle rounds who can actually block, b/c the RT is going to need as much help as he can get for the forseeable future.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Just to be clear - I don't think the Jets should franchise Keller. BUT, I do think they should try and find a common ground with him and re-sign him.

SOme have suggested it could be for as little as 2yr/$7m. If that is indeed the case, I would happily sign on. I don't think that will do it, however.

The main reason that the Jets shouldn't franchise Keller is that all the money would hit in 2013, unlike a long term deal where they can get creative. It doesn't serve a purpose to have him locked up at an inflated price for only one year so he can walk again next year. Doesn't mean I don't think he brings value and sorely needed production to the Jets. He does.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

And on the Landry v. Keller debate....I'm really not sure who I would rather have if I had to make a choice....both bring something that the team sorely needs.

Keller should be cheaper though.

Banned

SOme have suggested it could be for as little as 2yr/$7m. If that is indeed the case, I would happily sign on. I don't think that will do it, however.
    The Jets paid Keller $3.1MM last year.

I highly doubt an UFA would accept a 2-year deal with only a $800,000 raise.

If Keller goes, I think he would get a decent contract from a team that operates a wide-open offense. Keller's strength is the mid to deep seam pattern where he would be a mismatch for most LB's out there.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

If Keller goes, I think he would get a decent contract from a team that operates a wide-open offense. Keller's strength is the mid to deep seam pattern where he would be a mismatch for most LB's out there.
    I agree for the most part, but he is coming off a disasterous season when looking to cash in on FA. He may very well take a 1-2 year deal as a try out, so to speak.

I'm now going back and forth on this one - I really have no idea how much he'll get. It will be interesting to see 1) how much he ultimately gets and 2) to what extent the Jets make a push to keep him. I'm sure MM is looking at a lot of game film to see what he truly has in Keller.

No he won't take a two year deal for that but I think he will get even less on a one year deal. I have been saying all along that i think he goes to Atlanta on a one year deal to build up his stats, now that Gonzo retired. The jets could get Delanie Walker for less than the tag.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    No he won't take a two year deal for that but I think he will get even less on a one year deal. I have been saying all along that i think he goes to Atlanta on a one year deal to build up his stats, now that Gonzo retired. The jets could get Delanie Walker for less than the tag.
    Atlanta or Denver would be a very good fit for Keller.

I agree for the most part, but he is coming off a disasterous season when looking to cash in on FA. He may very well take a 1-2 year deal as a try out, so to speak.
    "May"? That's exactly what is going to happen. No one is a giving a overrated TE who can't block and is coming off a horrible season in which he barely played due to injury the mega-contract people here think he's in store for. Keller is in exactly the same situation Laron Landry was last season and he had to settle being a one year rental of the Jets.

If the Jets can get Keller to a 1 yr deal at reasonable money do it. Otherwise buy Fasano.