Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Report: NFL commissioner Roger Goodell made nearly $30 million in 2011

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Report: NFL commissioner Roger Goodell made nearly $30 million in 2011

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/report-nfl-commissioner-roger-goodell-made-nearly-30-220809067--nfl.html

Report: NFL commissioner Roger Goodell made nearly $30 million in 2011

By Brian McIntyre | Shutdown Corner – Fri, Feb 15, 2013 5:08 PM EST

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell nearly tripled his compensation in 2011, earning just under $30 million during that calendar year, according to a report from Daniel Kaplan in the SportsBusiness Daily.

Goodell earned $11.6 million in overall compensation during 2010, according to Kaplan. In 2011, Goodell's compensation increased to $29.49 million, including $22.3 million in the form of a bonus tied to his performance. A performance-based compensation structure will be followed moving forward in Goodell's five-year contract extension, which was signed in January of 2012 and calls for Goodell to earn around $20 million per season.

In 2011, a critical season for NFL business, Goodell negotiatied a 10-year collective bargaining agreement with the NFL Players Association and lucrative new television contracts. While some argue that Goodell doesn't warrant such a large salary, it is important to remember that he oversees the most popular sports league in the world that has generates over $9 billion in annual revenue.

Atlanta Falcons owner Arthur Blank, who chairs the league's compensation committee, defended Goodell's compensation.
    "The NFL is the most successful and best-managed sports league in the world," Blank said in a prepared statement published by the SportsBusiness Daily. “This is in no small part due to Roger’s leadership and the value he brings to the table in every facet of the sport and business of the league. His compensation reflects that."
    The second highest paid NFL executive on the list was Jeff Pash, the league's general counsel who was a key figure in labor negotiations in 2011. Pash earned $8.8 million, mostly in the form of a bonus ($5.9 million). NFL Network president and CEO Steve Bornstein was third on the list with a 2011 compensation of $5.7 million, including a $2.6 million bonus.
    Last edited by Jet Blast; 02-16-2013 at 06:46 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Don't you want us to be able to read the article?

I could do just as good a job as him, and I would do it for $15 million.
    Last edited by Vinny Testaverde's Niece; 02-16-2013 at 06:53 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    More power to him. It's a multi billion dollar business. Money needs to go somewhere.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    He makes billionaires even richer... that salary is a collective penny in the pond to them. We might hate him as fans, but he "earned" it when he got the game back on the field in the wake of a labor dispute.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsfanfromtheBURGH View Post
    More power to him. It's a multi billion dollar business. Money needs to go somewhere.
    Retiree health benefits/pensions etc?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    Retiree health benefits/pensions etc?
    They have all those things.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Plus what Krafty sends him. AMIRITE?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    They have all those things.
    Which is why they're constantly being sued.

There's no reason why Goodell should make that type of money. None.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    Which is why they're constantly being sued.

There's no reason why Goodell should make that type of money. None.
    And people call revis, mevis.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    And people call revis, mevis.
    The man (Goodell) has a brain; he is a businessman and runs a huge corporate machine. The other is an athlete who most likely can do little else.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Peyton manning makes 20 million a year and he is just a player. Godell runs the whole show. At 30 million, he is under paid.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PocketJet View Post
    The man (Goodell) has a brain; he is a businessman and runs a huge corporate machine. The other is an athlete who most likely can do little else.
    Not comparable. Average career of an athlete maybe 6 years, Goodell can do this for decades.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PocketJet View Post
    My point. People around here don't want the athletes to make the money and apparently not the guy who runs the NFL.....

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    Not comparable. Average career of an athlete maybe 6 years, Goodell can do this for decades.
    So you believe the athletes should make more or do u call revis, mevis?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    My point. People around here don't want the athletes to make the money and apparently not the guy who runs the NFL.....
    I'd much rather see the players who are putting their bodies and future livelihoods on the line earn the big bucks. The more they can get for themselves, the better. However, you don't do it by holding out with multiple years left on your contract. The new CBA helped limit that from happening, thankfully.

And I'm not calling Revis "Mevis" for seeking to cash in next off-season. I wish we would have had a better structure in place to keep him, but it is what it is. Hopefully whatever team he's traded to (he had better be) can give him what he desires.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    I'd much rather see the players who are putting their bodies and future livelihoods on the line earn the big bucks. The more they can get for themselves, the better. However, you don't do it by holding out with multiple years left on your contract. The new CBA helped limit that from happening, thankfully.

And I'm not calling Revis "Mevis" for seeking to cash in next off-season. I wish we would have had a better structure in place to keep him, but it is what it is. Hopefully whatever team he's traded to (he had better be) can give him what he desires.
    I agree. I'm all for players making as much as they can. They deserve it. They represent less than 1% of the population as far as skill goes.

That being said, goodell earns his money as well. If you are the head of an organization, u should get paid proportionately to what they earn. It's a ton of money, but it is what it is.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    30 mill a year to ruin the sport, awesome!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jzelada121 View Post
    30 mill a year to ruin the sport, awesome!
    The sport gets more popular every year. Highly doubt he has ruined it.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The sport gets more popular every year. Highly doubt he has ruined it.
    Popularity doesn't equate to quality.