Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Franchise Keller

One-year, $5.96 million for a TE who can't block and has inconsistent hands? I'd rather find a way to re-sign Landry for "his" perceived wanting of $6 million per season. Let Ball walk and move him back to the strong side where he belongs and hope that we, for once, can find a solid FS in Antonio Allen or in a draft pick.

I think Keller would sign a 2 year 7 million deal. No need to franchise him. I would take him at 3.5 mil per. I think he is a perfect fit for Marty's offense.

Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    Honestly, I don't want to keep Keller mainly because I want to use the money for something else.

We don't have a viable QB to get a pass catching TE like him the ball. Why spend money on Keller when we need 2 OG, 1 OT (probably Howard), a RB (at least 1), a QB, and we already have a pass catching TE who is adequate in Cumberland.
    Agreed- Keller was "injured" for a good chunk of the season and Cumberland proved that he's a capable enough pass catcher. Keller is probably going to want more $$ than most teams would be willing to pay him- the Jets have bigger holes and monetary issues that are higher priority than keeping Keller in green. Franchising him would be a HUGE mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by CTJetFan92 View Post
    Seems to be a thought from the espn team

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story...ers-franchised

If we aren't going to use it for anyone else I guess why not right?
    No - he's value is lowest right now after the injury. Either sign him to a long term deal now or let him walk.

Quote Originally Posted by nycuse View Post
    No - he's value is lowest right now after the injury. Either sign him to a long term deal now or let him walk.
    Latter option, please. This team cannot afford to sign anyone to a long-term deal and there's only one Jet deserving of it anyway (Revis).

Quote Originally Posted by LIJetsFan View Post
    The oline didn't fail. I'm saying it was the TE's and RB's missing their assignments that lead to excessive sacks and pressures.

Of course the QB is not blameless. The QB gets the lion's share of the blame. TE's and RB's very frequently failing at their blocking assigments get a much of the blame too.

If you disagree, fine, but don't tell me that they are only suppose to block the likes of Suggs, Ware, and Allen. TE's and RB's are assigned pass blocking duties far more often than you're crediting.
    The oline did fail, how could you watch the team and think anything else. DBrick did a fine job most of the time, but even Mangold had a down year.

No the rb are not responsible for more blocking than what it appears. The RB reads the backers, based on the read he stays in or releases into the flat or a short drop in front the the Mike if he dropped back deep. If a rb gets bowled over by a 250 lf lb with a head of steam, he cant be faulted. To think that more sacks were caused by a incorrect read than they were by less than average line play is faulty to the extreme. The only time when a rusher is the rb main responsibility is a corner blitz.

If you call on guys like Keller, and Cumberland to chip every DE every time they will never get into the pattern. You have 5 olineman blocking 4 rushers 90% of the time. and 90% of the time the oline gave it up.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeJam Football View Post
    I think Keller would sign a 2 year 7 million deal. No need to franchise him. I would take him at 3.5 mil per. I think he is a perfect fit for Marty's offense.
    I think he would sign that too.

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejet22 View Post
    lol. he's the **** that accused Keller of purposely missing a block so that his boy wonder wouldn't score a TD near the goal line.
    No, I'm the **** that correctly pointed out (along with others) something that was hugely obvious, he jumped offsides on 2 consecutive plays (something which is difficult to do) so another QB would not score a TD for the team so his friend boy wonder Sanchez could come back in the game, how nicely that worked for our team, Sanchez did come back in and threw a INT in the endzone, LOL.

All League
    Franchise a TE that caught 30 balls last year? Really? Is he honestly a top 10 TE in the league?

How about a one year league minimum so he has an opportunity to prove his true value.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Good bye Keller, wish you luck!

Jets Insider VIP
    I believe in Idzik and think he is going to be a good gm. Therefore, there no chance in hell he wastes the franchise tag on turd tight end like keller.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Delanie?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by JoeJam Football View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    I think he would sign that too.
    Ya think? I gotta believe that he can find a 3-4 yr deal worth more than that per annum with at least $7 mil guaranteed. If he's looking for a "prove it" deal, I'd think he'd go for only a 1 yr deal ala Landry.

Jet fans are down on him because we know what he COULD be, but came up short. I think there'll be some team who will focus on his potential.

Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    I agree. I don't believe there is any strong evidence to support that he is selfish and egotistical. Never once did we hear him complain that he wanted a new contract during last season, the season before, etc. Not once did we hear him bash Sanchez. He's got his faults, I don't believe the above allegations are part of them.
    Keller has been a terrific JET. GREAT? No, but he has been a solid player, above average TE in my opinion. Favorite target of Favre and Sanchez.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejet22 View Post
    lol. he's the **** that accused Keller of purposely missing a block so that his boy wonder wouldn't score a TD near the goal line.
    Makes sense now

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Choon328 View Post
    $6 million for a guy whose best asset is catching the ball yet his career high for receptions in a season is 65? No way. Maybe if he was a way more well rounded TE I would consider that but he's not. He's too one dimensional for my taste. You can't pay a guy the average pay of the top 5 TE's in the NFL when he has never topped 5 td receptions in a season and disappears in games. I think Cumberland could fill his role easily as the main receiving TE on the team. The harder part will be to find a cheap veteran TE that can block his a*s off. We need to save money wherever we can. Somebody mentioned Fasano and I think that's a great idea. You can probably bring Fasano in here on an incentive laden contract worth a base of around $1.5-$2 million.
    Please explain how the jets get off only paying fasano 1.5-2million?? I have to know....

Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Keller has been a terrific JET. GREAT? No, but he has been a solid player, above average TE in my opinion. Favorite target of Favre and Sanchez.
    For any of his faults, he's been a team player, and better than most Jets at his position. He doesn't deserve the "egotistical" and "selfish" labels.

To me this is like last year when we where asking should we franchise Pouha. Unless we intend on giving him a 4-5 year deal the answer is no. He is not getting more then 4 mil a year in FA IMO. Not coming off the year he did. Has never made a PB and has only really had one year worth even mentioning in that aspect. He is an average TE.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    No thanks.

Bye bye Dustin. Please take your butt-buddy with you.
    yeppers

Don't think of him as a tight-end. Think of him as the likely #2 target in Morhinweg's offense.

Don't think of him costing as much as a top-five TE. Think of him as the Laron Landry of the offense. A one-year rental on a prove-it deal that has a decent chance of being worth the money. TE is probably going to be the cheapest tag there is ahead of K/P.

Franchising him makes a lot of sense on three conditions:

1) He's healthy
    2) Morhinweg wants him, is excited about him.
    3) you draft a guy like Vance McDonald or Kelce in the 3rd round with a decent shot to develop in 2013 and potentially replace Keller in 2014.