Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Franchise Keller

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Franchise Keller

Seems to be a thought from the espn team

Dustin Keller, TE

2012 team: New York Jets

Keller was always perceived as a focal point for the Jets offense, yet when he got hurt last season, few noticed his absence. It was hard to notice in a land of butt-fumbles and hysterical quarterback competitions between players who shouldn't be starting, but Keller actually had the best season of his career in 2012 -- when he was healthy enough to stay on the field. He posted a 26.0 percent DVOA on 36 attempts, which was third in the league behind Rob Gronkowski and Anthony McCoy. That's such a small sample size that it's hard to believe that Keller is a genuine threat at tight end, especially when balanced against four years where his highest finish in DVOA was 22nd, but the Jets lose little by bringing him back for another season and seeing if he's made a leap in production. The tight end franchise tag costs just $5.96 million, and much like the Chiefs, the Jets are desperate for some kind of foundation for a passing game. Maybe Keller is a part of it, and maybe he isn't, but there are worse ideas than giving him a "prove-it" year while they focus on their more glaring talent issues on offense.
    http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story...ers-franchised

If we aren't going to use it for anyone else I guess why not right?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Honestly, I don't want to keep Keller mainly because I want to use the money for something else.

We don't have a viable QB to get a pass catching TE like him the ball. Why spend money on Keller when we need 2 OG, 1 OT (probably Howard), a RB (at least 1), a QB, and we already have a pass catching TE who is adequate in Cumberland.

That's just on offense.

No one is going to bite and trade for him, so we'd be stuck with him.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    Honestly, I don't want to keep Keller mainly because I want to use the money for something else.

We don't have a viable QB to get a pass catching TE like him the ball. Why spend money on Keller when we need 2 OG, 1 OT (probably Howard), a RB (at least 1), a QB, and we already have a pass catching TE who is adequate in Cumberland.

That's just on offense.

No one is going to bite and trade for him, so we'd be stuck with him.
    Agreed, plus he is a selfish injury prone player, let this egotistical b..stard loose.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's my understanding that we had a good oline and that the excessive sacks and pressures were on the TE's and RB's inability to chip and pass block. Just say no to Keller!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by vinniekt View Post
    Agreed, plus he is a selfish injury prone player, let this egotistical b..stard loose.
    Not saying we need to keep him but please explain how he is selfish and egotistical?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RevisCroWilson View Post
    Not saying we need to keep him but please explain how he is selfish and egotistical?

I agree. I don't believe there is any strong evidence to support that he is selfish and egotistical. Never once did we hear him complain that he wanted a new contract during last season, the season before, etc. Not once did we hear him bash Sanchez. He's got his faults, I don't believe the above allegations are part of them.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LIJetsFan View Post
    It's my understanding that we had a good oline and that the excessive sacks and pressures were on the TE's and RB's inability to chip and pass block. Just say no to Keller!
    You understood? You watched the games! How can you blame a significant portion of the oline failure on anything but their performance and Sanchez's

When your facing Suggs or Ware or Allen, the TE is supposed to Chip and help out. Not for just any DE out there.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    The real dilemma is that TE's can be a real asset in Mornhinweg's WCO. But the issue with Keller as others have stated is he's really a one dimensional player.

For the price and with the cap issues at hand , my opinion is let him walk and bring in Fasano as your blocking TE and let Cumberland be the recieving option. Or make a splash in bring in Delanie Walker who can do both.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by vinniekt View Post
    This post is NONSENSE!!!

Selfish & Egotistical.....

Good Grief!!!!!!!!

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    You understood? You watched the games! How can you blame a significant portion of the oline failure on anything but their performance and Sanchez's

When your facing Suggs or Ware or Allen, the TE is supposed to Chip and help out. Not for just any DE out there.
    The oline didn't fail. I'm saying it was the TE's and RB's missing their assignments that lead to excessive sacks and pressures.

Of course the QB is not blameless. The QB gets the lion's share of the blame. TE's and RB's very frequently failing at their blocking assigments get a much of the blame too.

If you disagree, fine, but don't tell me that they are only suppose to block the likes of Suggs, Ware, and Allen. TE's and RB's are assigned pass blocking duties far more often than you're crediting.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RevisCroWilson View Post

lol. he's the **** that accused Keller of purposely missing a block so that his boy wonder wouldn't score a TD near the goal line.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    No thanks.

Bye bye Dustin. Please take your butt-buddy with you.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have a feeling Keller is going to wind up a Bear.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chops44 View Post
    I have a feeling Keller is going to wind up a Bear.
    I'd like that. He'd be out of the division and the conference.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    He's a servicable player who has made solid contributions.. He is not a star and not somebody you would invest alot of dollars into..

move on... prefer a better all around TE who can catch and block...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetfan51 View Post
    He's a servicable player who has made solid contributions.. He is not a star and not somebody you would invest alot of dollars into..

move on... prefer a better all around TE who can catch and block...
    Well said and ultimately that's gonna be the question: Do you want an upgrade or are you fine with what Keller brings to the table which is quite a bit? Cumberland should not be our number one tight even though he is a pretty decent player.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    More brilliant stuff from the football geniuses at profootballfocus

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    LOL Franchise him? That would be the dumbest thing ever.

Veteran
    Rochester, NY--Originally from Long Island
    Post Thanks / Like
    $6 million for a guy whose best asset is catching the ball yet his career high for receptions in a season is 65? No way. Maybe if he was a way more well rounded TE I would consider that but he's not. He's too one dimensional for my taste. You can't pay a guy the average pay of the top 5 TE's in the NFL when he has never topped 5 td receptions in a season and disappears in games. I think Cumberland could fill his role easily as the main receiving TE on the team. The harder part will be to find a cheap veteran TE that can block his a*s off. We need to save money wherever we can. Somebody mentioned Fasano and I think that's a great idea. You can probably bring Fasano in here on an incentive laden contract worth a base of around $1.5-$2 million.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation

Only an idiot would franchise Keller lol