Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 78

Thread: Trading for Nick Foles makes too much sense

  1. #1
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    733
    Post Thanks / Like

    Trading for Nick Foles makes too much sense

    1) He already knows the offense; Marty was his OC, so it would put us light years ahead with a new OC
    2) Despite what Philly said last week that they weren't trading him, they now say (per profootballtalk) that it will take a significant offer (i.e. they are willing to trade him.)
    3) Completion percentage 61% as a rookie, it will only go up
    4) Already has a couple of 300+ yard games under his belt
    5) Kansas City cannot match the trade bait that the Jets have (i.e. Revis, or if we are lucky, Cromartie, instead.)
    6) His contract is so cap-friendly it is like a get-out-of-jail free card

    This would make us instantly relevant as we head into the offseason.

  2. #2
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge
    Posts
    16,044
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, I wanted Foles and still do, it's early but I think he can play. If not Foles, run the year with Sanchez.

  3. #3
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,790
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyjet View Post
    1) He already knows the offense; Marty was his OC, so it would put us light years ahead with a new OC
    2) Despite what Philly said last week that they weren't trading him, they now say (per profootballtalk) that it will take a significant offer (i.e. they are willing to trade him.)
    3) Completion percentage 61% as a rookie, it will only go up
    4) Already has a couple of 300+ yard games under his belt
    5) Kansas City cannot match the trade bait that the Jets have (i.e. Revis, or if we are lucky, Cromartie, instead.)
    6) His contract is so cap-friendly it is like a get-out-of-jail free card

    This would make us instantly relevant as we head into the offseason.
    How can you say his completion % will only go up, you have no way of knowing that. And the main reason Philly will and should want to keep him is 6) his contract is a rookie contract and very cap friendly plus he's insurance if Vick gets injured again which he's prone to.

  4. #4
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    434
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cro for Foles + 3rd or 4th

    I get that giving up a pro bowl DB for a second year QB may sound like to much but if Mornhinweg green lights it, we don't have to look for a project in the draft, we have our QB for the future. Means:
    1. we can grab that OLB at #1
    2. solidify the line with some picks/veterans
    3 Draft a RB for depth
    4 since we will prob not be able to re-sign landry, we resign bell on the cheap and then fill in the rest of the S position with some picks and some vets.
    5 re-sign Bray and maybe use a late pick on some WR

    If this were to go down, our team would be in a pretty good position to make the playoffs, I mean remember we were still in it late this past year and if we had a QB that wasn't broken and had we beat the titans we would have def been in the playoffs.

    sorry for the ramble but I agree IF Morninweg gives the endorsement we should def look into it Foles

  5. #5
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    1,227
    Post Thanks / Like
    enough about trades... please..... If foles was so darn good, they would have dumped Vick....

    Not saying the kid doesn't have future..

    we need to focus on the DRAFT... sign a veteran qb (ie. matt moore) and or draft a young qb.. team has so many needs......

  6. #6
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge
    Posts
    16,044
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetfan51 View Post
    enough about trades... please..... If foles was so darn good, they would have dumped Vick....

    Not saying the kid doesn't have future..

    we need to focus on the DRAFT... sign a veteran qb (ie. matt moore) and or draft a young qb.. team has so many needs......
    He doesn't fit the system.

  7. #7
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    12,144
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyjet View Post
    1) He already knows the offense; Marty was his OC, so it would put us light years ahead with a new OC
    2) Despite what Philly said last week that they weren't trading him, they now say (per profootballtalk) that it will take a significant offer (i.e. they are willing to trade him.)
    3) Completion percentage 61% as a rookie, it will only go up
    4) Already has a couple of 300+ yard games under his belt
    5) Kansas City cannot match the trade bait that the Jets have (i.e. Revis, or if we are lucky, Cromartie, instead.)
    6) His contract is so cap-friendly it is like a get-out-of-jail free card

    This would make us instantly relevant as we head into the offseason.
    He was drafted in the 3rd round, so by Philly saying it will take a significant offer probably means they are looking for a 2nd and 3rd.

    It is funny how a lot of people want to trade for other teams young QBs (Cousins, Foles) who were drafted in the 3rd and 4th rounds last year, when the Jets could just draft their own guy and not over pay another team. No one around here was clamoring for either guy (Foles, Cousins) before the draft last year, yet now they are the answer to be the franchise QB. There are prospects available this year who are being viewed exactly like Foles and Cousins were last year.

  8. #8
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    6,084
    Post Thanks / Like
    Foles would be a good acquisition. A young guy with talent and knowledge of the scheme. Issue is, the Eagles say they won't trade him without a significant offer - so he won't come cheap.

    A cheaper alternative (in trade terms) could be Brandon Weeden. The new regime in Cleveland doesn't seem too keen on him, so he might be obtainable for as low as a 4th or 5th rounder. I'd do that, plus draft a guy in the 2nd or 3rd, if guys like Foles or Flynn prove too expensive.

  9. #9
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge
    Posts
    16,044
    Post Thanks / Like
    If not Sanchez, the bottom line is do you want a stop gap, or an unproven draftee, forget these middle career gone nowhere crap qb's. Should they spend a lil for someone that has shown a lot of positives and is young if they can, I say yes, but it is going to be Sanchez this year, most likely.

  10. #10
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    434
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    He was drafted in the 3rd round, so by Philly saying it will take a significant offer probably means they are looking for a 2nd and 3rd.

    It is funny how a lot of people want to trade for other teams young QBs (Cousins, Foles) who were drafted in the 3rd and 4th rounds last year, when the Jets could just draft their own guy and not over pay another team. No one around here was clamoring for either guy (Foles, Cousins) before the draft last year, yet now they are the answer to be the franchise QB. There are prospects available this year who are being viewed exactly like Foles and Cousins were last year.
    Things change, Foles doesn't fit the new coach's system at all, we have his old coordinator, nobody besides Andy Reid knows how well he fits their system, makes Foles being moved far more likelier and also why Philly would consider moving him

  11. #11
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge
    Posts
    16,044
    Post Thanks / Like
    He doesn't fit the system.

  12. #12
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    12,144
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by THE BURG22 View Post
    Things change, Foles doesn't fit the new coach's system at all, we have his old coordinator, nobody besides Andy Reid knows how well he fits their system, makes Foles being moved far more likelier and also why Philly would consider moving him
    The point wasnt why Philly should trade him, it was why should the Jets over pay for a guy like Foles when they can just draft their own "Foles" or "Cousins" this year in the draft. Neither guy was a highly touted prospect coming out of college, they each had their faults, but they went to teams with offensive minded head coaches and were put in situations where they could succeed.

  13. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    3,016
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    The point wasnt why Philly should trade him, it was why should the Jets over pay for a guy like Foles when they can just draft their own "Foles" or "Cousins" this year in the draft. Neither guy was a highly touted prospect coming out of college, they each had their faults, but they went to teams with offensive minded head coaches and were put in situations where they could succeed.
    How many years have the Jets been searching for that franchise QB? What makes you think it is so easy to just go find another Foles or Cousins in the middle rounds of the draft?

  14. #14
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    12,144
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GuidoYaztremski View Post
    How many years have the Jets been searching for that franchise QB? What makes you think it is so easy to just go find another Foles or Cousins in the middle rounds of the draft?
    LOL...Who are Foles and Cousins exactly?? Who anointed them franchise QB status already? You act like they are proven solid QBs in the league. The point, that you obviously missed, was that why should the Jets over pay for an unproven QB when there are guys available this year that are the same type of prospects.

  15. #15
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    434
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    LOL...Who are Foles and Cousins exactly?? Who anointed them franchise QB status already? You act like they are proven solid QBs in the league. The point, that you obviously missed, was that why should the Jets over pay for an unproven QB when there are guys available this year that are the same type of prospects.

    All I'm saying is if Morninhenweg says he can be a great QB then maybe we look at it, they need secondary we have an excess, my whole idea is based on a guy who has worked with the kid, the guy already has a year in our O-coordinators offense, he has the tools, didn't look to bad behind a line that was worse than ours. Just saying he should be considered a possibility

  16. #16
    Waterboy
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    89
    Post Thanks / Like
    Foles gets rid of the ball fast and makes decisions quickly. At 6'.6" he sees the entire field. Takes care of the ball. He is a polished version of Mike Glennon. I would love to see this guy fight for the starting QB job for the Jets.

  17. #17
    All League
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    4,553
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    LOL...Who are Foles and Cousins exactly?? Who anointed them franchise QB status already? You act like they are proven solid QBs in the league. The point, that you obviously missed, was that why should the Jets over pay for an unproven QB when there are guys available this year that are the same type of prospects.
    I partially agree that it doesn't make sense to trade for unproven commodities which we can pick up on our own, but because last year's QB draft class was so deep and top heavy, those third round picks are considered steals, whereas this year's third round QB picks are considered reaches.

    There is no doubt that last year's mid round QBs showed better pro potential than this year's mid round QBs.

    I mean, we've got people clamoring for Geno freaking Smith in the top 10 OVERALL this year...........

    ......

    ...


  18. #18
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    12,144
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by greenwichjetfan View Post
    I partially agree that it doesn't make sense to trade for unproven commodities which we can pick up on our own, but because last year's QB draft class was so deep and top heavy, those third round picks are considered steals, whereas this year's third round QB picks are considered reaches.

    There is no doubt that last year's mid round QBs showed better pro potential than this year's mid round QBs.

    I mean, we've got people clamoring for Geno freaking Smith in the top 10 OVERALL this year...........

    ......

    ...

    Thats pure hind sight. Who was saying that the Eagles stole Foles in the 3rd, or that Cousins was such a great value in the 4th right after the draft? Hell no one even talked about Wilson when he was drafted. Those guys were far from being considered legit franchise QBs when drafted.

  19. #19
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    434
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cro + Tebow for Foles & 3 or 4?

    Takes care of two problems and we get a draft pick?

    Kelly replaces a non mobile QB with Jesus and a DB to replace the other cromartie and Nnamdi who is being reported will be released.

  20. #20
    All League
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    4,553
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Thats pure hind sight. Who was saying that the Eagles stole Foles in the 3rd, or that Cousins was such a great value in the 4th right after the draft? Hell no one even talked about Wilson when he was drafted. Those guys were far from being considered legit franchise QBs when drafted.
    Actually, the only thing that's hindsight is how incredible Russell Wilson was, which is why I didn't mention him.

    When Washington picked Kirk, there were many of us saying that they stole a QB for incredible value. I didn't have much invested in Foles to be able to claim that I knew he was good value, but my cousins are eagles fans, and they loved that pick.

    Regardless of that though, it's common sense to know that when you have a high supply of talent, the value will be watered down, so those QBs who got picked in the 3rd and 4th last year would probably go earlier in this draft, the way people are talking about Geno Smith in the top 10, or the way our very own Chad Pennington was a first round pick in '00.

    Tell me, where would Geno's play of this year put him if he had declared last year?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us