Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trading for Nick Foles makes too much sense

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    If not Sanchez, the bottom line is do you want a stop gap, or an unproven draftee, forget these middle career gone nowhere crap qb's. Should they spend a lil for someone that has shown a lot of positives and is young if they can, I say yes, but it is going to be Sanchez this year, most likely.
    I think we have seen enough of Suckchez.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    He was drafted in the 3rd round, so by Philly saying it will take a significant offer probably means they are looking for a 2nd and 3rd.

It is funny how a lot of people want to trade for other teams young QBs (Cousins, Foles) who were drafted in the 3rd and 4th rounds last year, when the Jets could just draft their own guy and not over pay another team. No one around here was clamoring for either guy (Foles, Cousins) before the draft last year, yet now they are the answer to be the franchise QB. There are prospects available this year who are being viewed exactly like Foles and Cousins were last year.
    Foles has a body of work and he impressed, even more, Foles impressed in the offense and under the offensive coordinator that is now the Jets OC, there is NO comparison to any QB in the draft this year because no QB has played at the NFL level yet, so your point doesn't make sense.

Cousins has a lesser body of work and the same point can't be made over Foles.

I could also make the argument that Sanchez has a small body of work where he has impressed, and he's already on the team, so why not stick with that player, given his draft status coming out, and the work he has put in, and given his cap hit to the team for this coming season? Obviously, the inconsistency and his poor play through his 4 years so far blemishes all of that, but it's equally as funny to compare Sanchez to any QB coming out, and to suggest, dump Sanchez for the drafted QB or a FA.

I'd be very much for a Foles trade, but for a price that doesn't impact the Jets draft plans, a 3rd rounder, or I too like the idea of using Cro in a trade.
    Last edited by Ray Ray19; 02-16-2013 at 12:33 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Philly would be idiots to trade him with vick on a one year deal unless they get offered a kings ransom.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm all for looking into a Foles trade.

It actually makes perfect sense.

As others have stated, he already has experience in Mornhinweg's version of the WCO and he doesn't really have a place in Chip Kelly's system.

I doubt we could get him for a 3rd round pick though. That's what Philly spent on him last year. A straight up trade for our 2nd gets it done IMO. I'd personally have no problem with that. A ton of people are willing to spend our 2nd round pick on someone like Nassib, Wilson or Glennon anyway.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Philly would be idiots to trade him with vick on a one year deal unless they get offered a kings ransom.
    Who is to say they don't draft a QB Kelly likes to fit his system. They signed Dixon to a 2 yr deal.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Who is to say they don't draft a QB Kelly likes to fit his system. They signed Dixon to a 2 yr deal.
    Dixon is garbage, getting rid of a very good young Qb to fit into some college coaches system in year one would be retarded. I will acknowledge that teams have done this but a good coach is going to reconginze a good QB and make changes to fit his skill set to some extent.

Bewildered Beast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    Yeah, I wanted Foles and still do, it's early but I think he can play. If not Foles, run the year with Sanchez.
    Gannon, Gil Brandt, others ...seem to agree Sanchez is most effective when he moves around.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    He was drafted in the 3rd round, so by Philly saying it will take a significant offer probably means they are looking for a 2nd and 3rd.

It is funny how a lot of people want to trade for other teams young QBs (Cousins, Foles) who were drafted in the 3rd and 4th rounds last year, when the Jets could just draft their own guy and not over pay another team. No one around here was clamoring for either guy (Foles, Cousins) before the draft last year, yet now they are the answer to be the franchise QB. There are prospects available this year who are being viewed exactly like Foles and Cousins were last year.
    The problem is there really are not any QB prospects who are being viewed like Foles or Cousins this year. I would say last year had 6 or 7 QB's rated higher and that's not including Russell Wilson who was rated #12.It is amazing how a QB with nothing really negative about him other than his height could be overlooked like he was. He had a QB rating of 191 which was 22 points higher than Andrew luck and his stats were insane (33tds,4ints,72.8comp%)and he threw 379 passes without a pick for an NCAA record as well as being drafted as a 2nd basemen in baseball. I don't think the Jets should even consider drafting a QB unless Barkely falls to them in the third or maybe Landry Jones. I think the closest thing to Wilson in this years draft is Matt Scott and I wouldn't complain if they grabbed him in the 4th round. Another late round option would be Tyler Bray. Next Weeks combine should be interesting to see what comes out of that.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    Gannon, Gil Brandt, others ...seem to agree Sanchez is most effective when he moves around.
    Like to another team??

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dixon is garbage, getting rid of a very good young Qb to fit into some college coaches system in year one would be retarded. I will acknowledge that teams have done this but a good coach is going to reconginze a good QB and make changes to fit his skill set to some extent.
    But you aren't Chip Kelly.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Didn't Kelly announce that he was going to have an open competition in TC?

I know Foles doesn't fit his system to a T but I think even if (when) Vick wins the competition they will keep him for depth. I just don't see them parting with Foles unless a QB that they love falls to them in the middle rounds and they just can't pass him up.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NamathToCaster View Post
    Foles gets rid of the ball fast and makes decisions quickly. At 6'.6" he sees the entire field. Takes care of the ball. He is a polished version of Mike Glennon. I would love to see this guy fight for the starting QB job for the Jets.
    Any QB that's 6'6" has got my attention. Give them McElroy and a pick for Foles.
    If he's too expensive then no go but if Jets can get him reasonably then it's a no brainier.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Foles will probably cost us a 3rd rounder + another late pick. Flynn will probably cost us less.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    LOL...Who are Foles and Cousins exactly?? Who anointed them franchise QB status already? You act like they are proven solid QBs in the league. The point, that you obviously missed, was that why should the Jets over pay for an unproven QB when there are guys available this year that are the same type of prospects.
    How is offering a pick one rd earlier than the guy was taken overpaying for him?

The possibility of him being a wasted pick is already removed or at least greatly lessened.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    I could see it working out, god I hope so, WCO.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    I think we have seen enough of Suckchez.
    We may not have a choice.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejet22 View Post
    Foles will probably cost us a 3rd rounder + another late pick. Flynn will probably cost us less.
    Yes but Flynn will cost you 5 mill of cap space this year and 6 next year. Foles will cost you 1.5 mill total over the next three years. So do you like Foles and Landry or Flynn and some vet min guy.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I really can't understand the fascination around her with QB's that have never really played more than a few games. Foles, Flynn, Stanton etc. I know we are all tired of Sanchez. Still if we are going to go with a guy with less than half a year under his belt. Why not just go with our own guy McKelroy?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    You don't bring in Chip Kelly to NOT run his offense. His offense was the only reason he got a job in the first place and the only reason they are keeping Vick. The fact that they kept Vick and brought in Dixon tells me that they have zero intention of keeping Foles.

They will be installing all new OL schemes/WR patterns this year for an offense geared around a mobile QB. If Vick gets hurt mid game, Foles won't be able to just step in and run the same offense effectively and they can't (mid game) revert back to a Foles offense.

OP was right, a Jets/eagles trade makes a ton of sense and even throwing in Tebow makes sense.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibby View Post
    I really can't understand the fascination around her with QB's that have never really played more than a few games. Foles, Flynn, Stanton etc. I know we are all tired of Sanchez. Still if we are going to go with a guy with less than half a year under his belt. Why not just go with our own guy McKelroy?
    Yes agreed. Why not see what he can do with the new Offense. He did win a national championship.