Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: montee ball

Question montee ball

whats anyone take on him as maybe a second round pick up. i dont see him making it to the third.

Jets Insider VIP
    He was ery good in college and we need a rb. Im sure we will be watching him closely in his workouts.

Undrafted Free Agent
    I don't watch nearly enough college football to be able to accurately rank the running backs in this class. We need to come away from this draft with someone who could be a lead back.

Whenever I do see Ball play, he just keeps reminding me of Curtis Martin. So I'd be pretty happy if we draft him.

Jets Insider VIP
    Ball and Taylor are my favorite RB's in this draft class.

Both are perfect fits for the WCO.

Can run both inside and outside, can catch the ball out of the backfield, and are above average in pass protection.

Jets Insider VIP
    I know it comes off as ignorant, but I'm sorry, no big 10 RB's.

All League
    Next Curtis Martin. Take him.

Should have came out last year where he would have been a first round pick. Personally I have no idea why he's only regarded as a 2nd-3rd round pick as he's done nothing but been spectacular for the last couple seasons at Wisconsin. He's a solid back who won't be Adrian Peterson, but could be someone who runs quite well for years to come.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by BleedGnW View Post
    Next Curtis Martin. Take him.
    +1 watched a lot of tape on him. His running style reminds me a lot of Curtis. He runs towards daylight rather than trying to run people over like Greene.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    I know it comes off as ignorant, but I'm sorry, no big 10 RB's.
    Yeah, that's pretty dumb

Quote Originally Posted by DRNYJETS View Post
    +1 watched a lot of tape on him. His running style reminds me a lot of Curtis. He runs towards daylight rather than trying to run people over like Greene.
    To me, his issue is that he tends to run too upright, almost reminds me of a smaller Brandon Jacobs. One guy that intrigues me that I think can be a later round pick and a good WCO fit is Rex Burkhead. But I still want Giovanni Bernard from UNC in the 2nd.

Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    Should have came out last year where he would have been a first round pick. Personally I have no idea why he's only regarded as a 2nd-3rd round pick as he's done nothing but been spectacular for the last couple seasons at Wisconsin. He's a solid back who won't be Adrian Peterson, but could be someone who runs quite well for years to come.
    He has awesome and I mean AWESOME!!! blocking so it makes it hard to judge.
    I think he has good vision and excellent patience. decent balance, Better to average wiggle, doesn't seem like an a great pass blocker. Has natural hands. not a burner but more then enough burst to turn the corner at the nfl level and break off very long runs. Ability to break tackles is average but his nose for the endzone is Marcus Allen like.

To be fair I only watched a few highlight films of him.

With that said I see some Beanie Wells with more size and that upright running style position. I'm not crazy about it unless your AP. Ball is frustrating to watch because he doesn't have that next gear in the speed department nor does he run with authority (low contact runner). Goes down on first hit. Some mediocre bleh competition. Could make good in the durability department.

His hands are amazing and he knows how to execute a route and can turn the corner. Some solids to build on for sure but I don't know if he is a 3 down back in the NFL fellas.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNYJETS View Post
    Ssshhhhhh. Don't let Savage hear you.

If he's the next Curtis Martin (as three posts alluded to), I want nothing to do with him.

Curtis is a great guy and the purest definition of a workhorse...but he was not a WCO RB, nor was he ever a playmaker that opposing defenses had to gameplan around.

Not worth a first or second round pick when we have other needs.

Jets Insider VIP
    As usual, 40 times will play a big role in where these guys are drafted. If ball runs in the low 4.4s, he will go high in this draft.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by greenwichjetfan View Post
    If he's the next Curtis Martin (as three posts alluded to), I want nothing to do with him.

Curtis is a great guy and the purest definition of a workhorse...but he was not a WCO RB, nor was he ever a playmaker that opposing defenses had to gameplan around.

Not worth a first or second round pick when we have other needs.
    This post is wrong on so many levels I don't even know where to begin. Curtis played several years in the WCO here under Paul Hackett. Those were very successful years, including leading the NFL in rushing in 2004. Playmaker? It was common knowledge that teams game planned to stop Martin because he was considered the Jets best player offense. He was also an effective receiver out of the backfield.

If you're gonna criticize one of the greatest Jets of all time, use logic and real facts.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    Agree he should have come out last year, that season he had in 2011 was an absolute monster. Kid had 39 total TDs with Russell Wilson as his QB. He does have over 660 carries in the last two seasons though, some are concerned about the workload he had at Wisco.

All League
    Ball has too many miles on him and was far more of a product of great O-Lines than being a stellar runner. Ball is a 2nd back in the NFL at best in my opinion. He does not scream WCO to me either, he was a screen reciever at Wisconsin, I have no idea how he would do in routes. In the 2.5 years watching him play, I never thought he was star, the OL was the star and all the RBs were plug and play.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyStylez View Post
    This post is wrong on so many levels I don't even know where to begin. Curtis played several years in the WCO here under Paul Hackett. Those were very successful years, including leading the NFL in rushing in 2004. Playmaker? It was common knowledge that teams game planned to stop Martin because he was considered the Jets best player offense. He was also an effective receiver out of the backfield.

If you're gonna criticize one of the greatest Jets of all time, use logic and real facts.
    Logic and real facts:

CMart won the rushing title in '04. That year, he had 371, most in the NFL. The person who lost to him by one yard, Shaun Alexander, had 353...17 carries less. CMart had a 4.5ypa that year, the 16th best in the NFL, and 12th best for a RB. That rushing title was won with 1,676 yards, tying him for 31st most yards in a single; clearly not a sign of taking the league hostage.

He won the rushing title simply because he was given the ball way more than anyone else.

HTML Code:
    http://www.totalfootballstats.com/Rush_Att_SS.asp?id=1
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/775/curtis-martin
    http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/player-stat/rushing-yards-per-attempt
    Additionally, his 4.0 career ypa is so pedestrian that he doesn't even show up on the career top 250 rushing ypa list.

That entire '04 season serves as a microcosm of the Jets offense under Hackett's supervision. They ran the ball and threw dump offs to CMart simply because he was the only player capable; with a cast of Pennington, Moss/Coles, and freaking Anthony Becht.

Sure teams gameplanned for him, but thats because we loterally had no pther threat for opposing teams to plan for. CMart would not have functioned the same way in the Eagles version of a WCO during those years, because he is not a traditional WCO back. We just made do with him and used/abused him till he literally broke down.

Now, there's something to be said for durability, toughness, and the fact that even after all that wear and tear 9 years into the league, he was still being given the ball 371 times...as I said initially, awesome guy and highly consistent. He just isn't the god so many of you make him out to be.

Again, as I said in my first post, I don't think he, or a clone of his, is worth the price of a first or second round pick given our new offensive direction, and other pressing needs.

How's that for logic and real facts?

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Sourceworx View Post
    Ssshhhhhh. Don't let Savage hear you.
    Hah, tell Savage that despite being a running back he also somehow reminds you of Chad Pennington and the poor man will have a heart attack.