Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Cimini: Sunday notes: A challenging QB market

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Redlichtie View Post
    Good post but to my admittedly untrained eye what I've seen of Glennon he absolutely puts the ball in those spots.He's consistently hitting guys on crossing patterns in the hands and he really has a shocking number of good throws dropped.

I also see him constantly getting the ball away under immediate and intense pressure and another thing I noticed is that almost every intermediate or long throw he's having to hit guys who are blanketed.I honestly don't see WR's getting even partially,never mind wide,open.Sure there's the odd throw that's a bad miss but again how much is that guys not being where they should be on routes?When he misses on long outside throws he at least seems to put the ball where only his guy can get it.He must've had some shockers that I haven't seen admittedly but I can totally see why people fall in love with him as a passer.

Not saying he's a top ten pick but I just like what I see.I guess scouts get paid to work these things out and time will tell but I wonder just how much his supporting cast had to do with some of his issues.And far from seeing an inaccurate QB I actually think that out of this class,accuracy is not nearly as bad as his 58.5% completion percentage indicates.

I should really go back and look at some of Sanchez in college because I'm pretty sure his numbers indicated he was an accurate QB but as we all now know reading and reacting and the short game are just not there but I don't remember hat being obvious at the time.

In short I think Glennon is better than his numbers maybe indicate.

Contrast with Nassib and to a lesser extent Tyler Bray.There are a lot of absolutely wild throws in there with those guys.
    This is generally how I feel about Glennon.
    Accuracy is not an issue when he has his feet set under him. He's constantly throwing to small windows and hitting receivers in stride..

It's when he tries to make a play that is not there or reverts to bad habits, throwing off his back feet/before he has his feet set that his accuracy is more erratic. This is not the same mechanical/release issues that Sanchez has. Even when Sanchez gets protection, has his feet under him, the ball sails and his accuracy is erratic.

Glennon's shortcomings can be fixed, and if so he's got the raw ability to be a franchise Qb. I've never felt that way about Sanchez.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by legler82 View Post
    Colby Cameron is a projected late round/UDFA QB prospect that in the right system, which I believe is the WCO, is capable of becoming this year's Brady or Romo.

When you look at highlights of Quinton Patton, you can't help but notice the accuracy of the Cameron. Then when you look up his stats, you can't help but to wonder why he's considered a late round prospect. The guy threw for over 4,000 yards at nearly 8 YPA, so he was not dinking and dunking. Despite putting the ball up 500+ times, he threw a whopping just 5 INTs compared to his 31 TDs. He broke the NCAA records for most consecutive pass attempts without an interception in a season (428), previously by Russell Wilson, and in a career (444). All this while completing just under 70% of his passes. The guy is athletic, intelligent, decisive, can read defenses and has a quick release, good feet, a leader and clutch. The knocks on him are size, arm strength, level of competition and scheme; I address each one below.

Size - He measured in at a hair over 6-2 at the East West Shrine Game. Height is significant cause you can add on weight but not height. I believe not breaking that 6-2 is huge since anything below that threshold greatly diminishes your opportunities to be a starting NFL QB. He weighed in at 210, though
    not ideal, there is room to add on more weight. For the sake of comparison, he's 1/8 of an inch taller than Tyler Wilson and 8 pounds lighter.

Arm strength - His arm does not wow you on tape but reports out of the East West Shrine Game practice week was that scouts were surprised by his compact delivery, zip and ball velocity. He's going to be one of the "throwing quarterbacks" at the Combine this year so he'll have plenty of chances to dispel any concerns about his arm in from of all the scouts.

Level of Competition - When LA Tech played ridiculous game against the SEC's Texas A&M, all the highlights were of Quinton Patton and Johnny Football but Cameron tore up A&M's 14th ranked defense. He went 44 for 58 (75.9% CMP) for 450 yards, 5 TDs and 0 INTs. Hate to pick on Tyler Wilson again but against the same defense, Wilson went 29 for 59 (49.2% CMP) for 373 yards, 1 TD and 2 INTs.

Scheme - I don't think not running a "pro" offense is as much of a hindrance as it use to be since the line between college and pro-style offenses has been blurred with the new wave of QBs coming in. While Tech's offense is more unconventional than most (the center calls in the plays and not the QB), I think it's helped Cameron become better than most at reading coverages and making the proper adjustments.
    Colby Cameron 4.66 best 40 time in QB group 1!

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ben Volin ‏@BenVolinPBP
    Matt Moore still very much could return to Miami. But one team expected to make a big play for him? Yes, the Jets

The most coveted free agent from the Dolphins’ roster this offseason might be a guy who played just 56 snaps in 2012 – backup quarterback Matt Moore. He could fetch a two- or three-year contract worth $5 million per season.

Moore played admirably as the fill-in starter in 2011 with a 6-6 record, and impressed teams with his attitude in 2012 when he was relegated to the bench behind rookie Ryan Tannehill.

Moore hopes to find him a team that a) has a shaky starting quarterback, and b) is closer to his home in Southern California.

Arizona would seem like a good fit, but a league source said new coach Bruce Arians might want to sign Drew Stanton, who played for Arians last year in Indy.

Minnesota is an intriguing option, and you heard it here first: Don’t be shocked if the New York Jets, with Mark Sanchez running on fumes and only Tim Tebow (for the moment) and Greg McElroy behind him, make a play for Moore. Rex Ryan spoke this week at the Combine about providing more competition for Sanchez.

The Browns like Moore, but he doesn’t want to play in the frigid weather of Cleveland. The same likely goes for Buffalo.

The Dolphins, though, badly want Moore back. Several members of the organization – Ireland, Tannehill, offensive coordinator Mike Sherman – have called in the past two weeks to lobby him to come back. Sherman called Moore five times last week alone.

And don’t rule out a return. Moore likes it in Miami and has become friends with Tannehill, and would come back if a significantly better opportunity doesn’t present itself.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/sp...-to-avo/nWX4M/

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    NFL Network ‏@nflnetwork .@kurt13warner on QB prospects: 'I saw with a lot of this class when there was tight coverage, they struggle to make throws.'

NFL Media PR ‏@InsideNFLMedia Kurt Warner on @NFLNetwork watching the QBs workout: They are trying too hard to aim the ball rather than just throwing the ball

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Ben Volin ‏@BenVolinPBP
    Matt Moore still very much could return to Miami. But one team expected to make a big play for him? Yes, the Jets

The most coveted free agent from the Dolphins’ roster this offseason might be a guy who played just 56 snaps in 2012 – backup quarterback Matt Moore. He could fetch a two- or three-year contract worth $5 million per season.

Moore played admirably as the fill-in starter in 2011 with a 6-6 record, and impressed teams with his attitude in 2012 when he was relegated to the bench behind rookie Ryan Tannehill.

Moore hopes to find him a team that a) has a shaky starting quarterback, and b) is closer to his home in Southern California.

Arizona would seem like a good fit, but a league source said new coach Bruce Arians might want to sign Drew Stanton, who played for Arians last year in Indy.

Minnesota is an intriguing option, and you heard it here first: Don’t be shocked if the New York Jets, with Mark Sanchez running on fumes and only Tim Tebow (for the moment) and Greg McElroy behind him, make a play for Moore. Rex Ryan spoke this week at the Combine about providing more competition for Sanchez.

The Browns like Moore, but he doesn’t want to play in the frigid weather of Cleveland. The same likely goes for Buffalo.

The Dolphins, though, badly want Moore back. Several members of the organization – Ireland, Tannehill, offensive coordinator Mike Sherman – have called in the past two weeks to lobby him to come back. Sherman called Moore five times last week alone.

And don’t rule out a return. Moore likes it in Miami and has become friends with Tannehill, and would come back if a significantly better opportunity doesn’t present itself.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/sp...-to-avo/nWX4M/
    Whats disturbing is that the Jets had Stanton on their roster for 1.5 million, a pretty reasonable back up QB salary. Now they are interested in Moore, but will command a salary around 5 million per year? That Tebow deal was just so bad on so many levels.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Whats disturbing is that the Jets had Stanton on their roster for 1.5 million, a pretty reasonable back up QB salary. Now they are interested in Moore, but will command a salary around 5 million per year? That Tebow deal was just so bad on so many levels.
    Prime example of Tanny being an arrogant know it all. Seriously, he was so bad. I think the pats were devastated that the jets fired him.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsfanfromtheBURGH View Post
    Prime example of Tanny being an arrogant know it all. Seriously, he was so bad. I think the pats were devastated that the jets fired him.
    I still think that order came down from our attention whoring owner Woody and Tanny took the heat as part of his exit package.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsfanfromtheBURGH View Post
    How the NFL Network hired Tanny is actually beyond laughable...just a microcosm of our society in general...all perception...ex GM...must of known something so lets hire him...let's not actually do our homework and see that the guy knew absolutely nothing...I mean who would actually listen to single word he a says..as soon as I turned on the NFL network and saw him I changed the channel....unbelievable...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The Cooler King View Post
    How the NFL Network hired Tanny is actually beyond laughable...just a microcosm of our society in general...all perception...ex GM...must of known something so lets hire him...let's not actually do our homework and see that the guy knew absolutely nothing...I mean who would actually listen to single word he a says..as soon as I turned on the NFL network and saw him I changed the channel....unbelievable...
    He knows more than any arm chair GM watching the show from their house. To act like he doesn't says more about you than it does him.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by iahawkeyejet View Post
    He knows more than any arm chair GM watching the show from their house. To act like he doesn't says more about you than it does him.
    +1

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The Cooler King View Post
    What is laughable are how armchair GMs like yourself think you know more from you couch.