Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 171

Thread: Cimini: Sunday notes: A challenging QB market

  1. #61
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Manalapan, NJ/Boca Raton, Fl
    Posts
    15,329
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    McElroy was a better college QB.


    If we take Glennon in the 1st round....I'm gonna drink a lot. 2nd round is fine.
    No he wasn't. McElroy was on an incredibly talented team.

    I'll bet the house right now that Glennon goes a lot higher than round 7.

  2. #62
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    26,857
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    No he wasn't. McElroy was on an incredibly talented team.

    I'll bet the house right now that Glennon goes a lot higher than round 7.
    For a guy who has supposedly watched every game Glennon has played, he sure does throw around a ton of comparisons that make zero sense.

    Matt Leinart, Kellen Clemens, Brady Quinn, Gregg McElroy, etc.

    As far as upside goes, Glennon is chock full of it.

    The guy played with one of the worst supporting casts in the country and still managed to have a very respectable college career. Hell, Florida State had one of the best defenses in college football last year and were unbeaten until Glennon sh*t all over them with a bunch of no names.

    I'd be pretty damn excited if we walk away with a 6'6 235 QB with a rocket arm and sky high potential come draft day.

    I don't see how anyone could view that as a negative. Especially seeing as that we have one of the worst QB situations in the league.

  3. #63
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    Yeah I'm concerned that Moore is going to get overpaid by someone considering how weak the market is which might price us out of obtaining his services. In which case it gets scary because the QBs that we would draft in the middle rounds of this year's draft are not exactly day 1 starter types. Which could mean Mark somehow winning the job again. I joked about it during the season, but it continues to hold true, Sanchez is like Michael Myers, he has a million lives and you probably need to cut off his head to finally kill him off.
    Unfortunately it's looking this way. At least there's FINALLY going to be an out clause after 2013. I just can't believe we're going to have to sit through one more season of this Grade A Baloney. Oh well. At least we're all well versed at losing.

  4. #64
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    18,374
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    For a guy who has supposedly watched every game Glennon has played, he sure does throw around a ton of comparisons that make zero sense.

    Matt Leinart, Kellen Clemens, Brady Quinn, Gregg McElroy, etc.

    As far as upside goes, Glennon is chock full of it.

    The guy played with one of the worst supporting casts in the country and still managed to have a very respectable college career. Hell, Florida State had one of the best defenses in college football last year and were unbeaten until Glennon sh*t all over them with a bunch of no names.

    I'd be pretty damn excited if we walk away with a 6'6 235 QB with a rocket arm and sky high potential come draft day.

    I don't see how anyone could view that as a negative. Especially seeing as that we have one of the worst QB situations in the league.

    We'll see............ He reminds me of Kellen Clemens. A deer in the headlights. I am standing to my prediction.

    We beat Florida State. GREAT.... any other big wins?

    No point debating..we won't know until a year goes by.

    Again..I like the kid, NOT in the 1st or round and I dont think he is an NFL impact player.


    Who would you compare him too?

  5. #65
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    18,374
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    No he wasn't. McElroy was on an incredibly talented team.

    I'll bet the house right now that Glennon goes a lot higher than round 7.
    McElroy lost ONE game since the 9th grade.

    I saw more talent in McElroy than Glennon. Just my opinion.... no big deal.

  6. #66
    It's Mike Tolbert, FB for the Panthers. Sheesh.

  7. #67
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    For a guy who has supposedly watched every game Glennon has played, he sure does throw around a ton of comparisons that make zero sense.

    Matt Leinart, Kellen Clemens, Brady Quinn, Gregg McElroy, etc.

    As far as upside goes, Glennon is chock full of it.

    The guy played with one of the worst supporting casts in the country and still managed to have a very respectable college career. Hell, Florida State had one of the best defenses in college football last year and were unbeaten until Glennon sh*t all over them with a bunch of no names.

    I'd be pretty damn excited if we walk away with a 6'6 235 QB with a rocket arm and sky high potential come draft day.

    I don't see how anyone could view that as a negative. Especially seeing as that we have one of the worst QB situations in the league.
    Because that's the same logic that gets guys like Jamarcus Russell and Blaine Gabbert over-drafted. There needs to be more than the physical tools there. 6-6 and a cannon means nothing with a two cent head. I've watched plenty of Glennon. Even if he has a perfect pocket he misses on many of his throws. Put a little pressure in his face and he's a complete mess to watch. The Vanderbilt debacle was just embarrassing. And every INT in that game was on HIM. You could also make the argument that he really underachieved considering the level of competition he was going up against.

    You can keep mentioning that one sentence about how not every class is going to have a "Luck" and that waiting around is useless but it still doesn't make any sense. The dumbest thing that any NFL team could do is draft a risky QB high just because they NEED one. The only Qb's that I would consider right now in 1-2 maybe even 3 are Smith (unlikely), Wilson, Nassib, Barkley, or Dysert. And if 6-6 and a cannon is what you want then Bray IMO is hands down the better choice. You claim that his commitment to the game is questioned and yet I haven't seen one scouting report that has that listed on it. From the sound of it is that he just has a little Jay Cutler in him and that he's a bit douchey. Big deal. He played in the SEC, improved every year there, and has all the upside and physical tools you love in Glennon.

    BTW, Glennon didn't sh*t all over FSU. They won 17-16 and he had "ok" numbers. If we walk away with Glennon on draft day and leave some of the other names above I'll be pretty pissed. I'll support him 110% and hope I'm completely wrong because he wears the uniform, but I'm not expecting anything special out of him.
    Last edited by Mogglez; 02-18-2013 at 04:30 PM.

  8. #68
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    18,374
    Quote Originally Posted by Mogglez View Post
    Because that's the same logic that gets guys like Jamarcus Russell and Blaine Gabbert over-drafted. There needs to be more than the physical tools there. 6-6 and a cannon means nothing with a two cent head. I've watched plenty of Glennon. Even if he has a perfect pocket he misses on many of his throws. Put a little pressure in his face and he's a complete mess to watch. The Vanderbilt debacle was just embarrassing. And every INT in that game was on HIM. You could also make the argument that he really underachieved considering the level of competition he was going up against.

    You can keep mentioning that one sentence about how not every class is going to have a "Luck" and that waiting around is useless but it still doesn't make any sense. The dumbest thing that any NFL team could do is draft a risky QB high just because they NEED one. The only Qb's that I would consider right now in 1-2 maybe even 3 are Smith (unlikely), Wilson, Nassib, Barkley, or Dysert. And if 6-6 and a cannon is what you want then Bray IMO is hands down the better choice. You claim that his commitment to the game is questioned and yet I haven't seen one scouting report that has that listed on it. From the sound of it is that he just has a little Jay Cutler in him and that he's a bit douchey. Big deal. He played in the SEC, improved every year there, and has all the upside and physical tools you love in Glennon.

    BTW, Glennon didn't sh*t all over FSU. They won 17-16 and he had "ok" numbers. If we walk away with Glennon on draft day and leave some of the other names above I'll be pretty pissed. I'll support him 110% and hope I'm completely wrong because he wears the uniform, but I'm not expecting anything special out of him.
    deemed 100 percent accurate and I LOVE NC State!!!!

  9. #69
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    No he wasn't. McElroy was on an incredibly talented team.

    I'll bet the house right now that Glennon goes a lot higher than round 7.
    Yes he was. He won a National Championship and was named an MVP. Level of talent around him doesn't mean a thing. All that matters in college football is winning a championship and he did that. Tebow might be one of the best college QB's to ever step on a field and McElroy went out and outplayed him. Now is Glennon a better PROSPECT? Well yeah, he has all the physical tools you could dream of. But McElroy has all the smarts and Intangibles that Glennon will likely never have. I may be in the minority but for a WCO I would honestly pick McElroy before wasting a high draft pick on Mike Glennon.

    For the record im not saying we should ignore QB through the draft at all. The last thing I want to see is that McElroy is our best QB because if that's true the odds of him turning into Brady are pretty slim. I'm just saying that I would much rather draft Barkley, Nassib, Wilson or Dysert and roll with one of them over Glennon. Much better fits for the offense we are trying to run and have plenty of production to go on.
    Last edited by Mogglez; 02-18-2013 at 04:47 PM.

  10. #70
    Quote Originally Posted by Mogglez View Post
    Because that's the same logic that gets guys like Jamarcus Russell and Blaine Gabbert over-drafted. There needs to be more than the physical tools there. 6-6 and a cannon means nothing with a two cent head. I've watched plenty of Glennon. Even if he has a perfect pocket he misses on many of his throws. Put a little pressure in his face and he's a complete mess to watch. The Vanderbilt debacle was just embarrassing. And every INT in that game was on HIM. You could also make the argument that he really underachieved considering the level of competition he was going up against.

    You can keep mentioning that one sentence about how not every class is going to have a "Luck" and that waiting around is useless but it still doesn't make any sense. The dumbest thing that any NFL team could do is draft a risky QB high just because they NEED one. The only Qb's that I would consider right now in 1-2 maybe even 3 are Smith (unlikely), Nassib, Barkley, or Dysert. And if 6-6 and a cannon is what you want then Bray IMO is hands down the better choice. You claim that his commitment to the game is questioned and yet I haven't seen one scouting report that has that listed on it. From the sound of it is that he just has a little Jay Cutler in him and that he's a bit douchey. Big deal. He played in the SEC, improved every year there, and has all the upside and physical tools you love in Glennon.

    BTW, Glennon didn't sh*t all over FSU. They won 17-16 and he had "ok" numbers.
    Hands down?....brave(or foolish)

    I want to love Bray and some of his throws are sensational but then there are also some head scratchers out there.

    Then consider the likes of Dallas Thomas & Antonio Richardson protecting him and the small matter of Cordarrelle Patterson,Justin Hunter & Da'Rick Rogers....3 of the highest rated WR's in the draft,sprinkle in a little Mychal Rivera and it appears he was surrounded by elite talent.So question is did TB make them better?...or vice versa?

    And did he ever complete a full season starting every game?

    Contrast with Glennon.I can't think of a single teammate of his that would be a household name in their own household.

  11. #71
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    26,857
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Who would you compare him too?
    Joe Flacco/Drew Bledsoe

    Worst case scenario: Derek Anderson

    The kid has all of the physical tools that you dream of in a prototypical, drop back pocket passer. There are also no concerns about his attitude or committment to football like there are with a similar prospect like Tyler Bray. By all accounts, football is Glennon's first love and he is willing to put in the hard work and do whatever is necessary to maximize his potential.

    With an established offensive mind like Mornhinweg now in place, I would absolutely be willing to roll the dice on a QB with immense potential like Glennon.

  12. #72
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Joe Flacco/Drew Bledsoe

    Worst case scenario: Derek Anderson

    The kid has all of the physical tools that you dream of in a prototypical, drop back pocket passer. There are also no concerns about his attitude or committment to football like there are with a similar prospect like Tyler Bray. By all accounts, football is Glennon's first love and he is willing to put in the hard work and do whatever is necessary to maximize his potential.

    With an established offensive mind like Mornhinweg now in place, I would absolutely be willing to roll the dice on a QB with immense potential like Glennon.
    Agree...I like how even though he has a cannon on him about 80% of his passes seem to be delivered well within himself.He doesn't feel the need to wind up and fire everything...contrast with Ryan Nassib who absolutely guns it regardless of whether it's a 20 yard out or a screen pass...seems to have that element of the unhurried about him and has the kind of touch on his passes that we've never seen from Sanchez.We need a guy who can feather it in the short game as well as sling it.

  13. #73
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    18,374
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Joe Flacco/Drew Bledsoe

    Worst case scenario: Derek Anderson

    The kid has all of the physical tools that you dream of in a prototypical, drop back pocket passer. There are also no concerns about his attitude or committment to football like there are with a similar prospect like Tyler Bray. By all accounts, football is Glennon's first love and he is willing to put in the hard work and do whatever is necessary to maximize his potential.

    With an established offensive mind like Mornhinweg now in place, I would absolutely be willing to roll the dice on a QB with immense potential like Glennon.
    Nonsense. Those QB's were CLEAR TOP 5 picks. They were impressive in college and had very few of the short comings Glennon has. Bledsoe was a beast in college. He under throws his receivers a LOT.

    I agree with the Derek Anderson comp BTW. he could be that type of QB.

    God knows the Jets need Derek Anderson.lol


    Again..we'll see.

  14. #74
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    6,300
    Quote Originally Posted by Mogglez View Post
    Yes he was. He won a National Championship and was named an MVP. Level of talent around him doesn't mean a thing. All that matters in college football is winning a championship and he did that. Tebow might be one of the best college QB's to ever step on a field and McElroy went out and outplayed him. Now is Glennon a better PROSPECT? Well yeah, he has all the physical tools you could dream of. But McElroy has all the smarts and Intangibles that Glennon will likely never have. I may be in the minority but for a WCO I would honestly pick McElroy before wasting a high draft pick on Mike Glennon. For the record im not saying we should ignore QB through the draft at all. The last thing I want to see is that McElroy is our best QB because if that's true the odds of him turning into Brady are pretty slim. I'm just saying that I would much rather draft Barkley, Nassib, Wilson or Dysert and roll with one of them over Glennon. Much better fits for the offense we are trying to run and have plenty of production to go on.
    As would I . Personally, I would take a smart Game Manager anyday of the week before i take some all world jock who is clueless. The 2 QBs that interest me the most are Zack Dysert who Tony on the other draft forum compared to Chad Pennington with his knowledge and understanding of the game and Sean Renfree who compares favorably to Matt Schaub and was coached by the guy who coached the Manning brothers and is considered by many as a QB guru.
    Last edited by Tinstar; 02-18-2013 at 05:10 PM.

  15. #75
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    26,857
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Nonsense. Those QB's were CLEAR TOP 5 picks. They were impressive in college and had very few of the short comings Glennon has. Bledsoe was a beast in college. He under throws his receivers a LOT.

    I agree with the Derek Anderson comp BTW. he could be that type of QB.

    God knows the Jets need Derek Anderson.lol


    Again..we'll see.
    Clear Top 5 picks?

    LOL

    Then why the hell was Flacco not even chosen in the Top 10? Why was he viewed as a consensus 2nd round pick until a month before the draft?

    You're making less and less sense as this thread goes on.

  16. #76
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Eastchester, NY
    Posts
    1,249
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    No worries my friend. Idzik has watched the tape. Sanchez has 0 chance of taking any snaps for us this year.
    My concern lies in the fact that this offseason's QB market is bone-dry, which may leave Idzik with no worthwhile and/or affordable options. I always thought Matt Moore would be a safe QB backup plan, but now I hear there could be a bidding war for his services. We'll see how this plays out, I'm just no longer optimistic that there will be a legit QB competition. We should all pray for Matt Flynn at this point.

  17. #77
    I read on Tony's site where one scout described Glennons physique as looking like someone who is "allergic to the gym". I'll pass on the beanpole. Oh and add Tyler "tiny hands" Wilson to the list of no thanks prospects.

  18. #78
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    18,374
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Clear Top 5 picks?

    LOL

    Then why the hell was Flacco not even chosen in the Top 10? Why was he viewed as a consensus 2nd round pick until a month before the draft?

    You're making less and less sense as this thread goes on.
    I meant to say CLEAR 1st rounders my bad.

    Flacco had a LOT ofd buzz around him and drifted to pick 18 becasue he went to a small school but was never in danger of NOT being a 1st rounder if my memory serves. They had a camera crew at his house, (on memory).

    Your comparison to either he or Bledsoe is what is shaky IMO.

    Is it possible that Glennon could be a Flacco? A long maybe. If developed well and surrounded with the right people but I wouldn't hold my breath. The JETS clearly have shown NO CAPACITY to develop a QB light that.

  19. #79
    All we need it Matt Moore and we'll be fine.

  20. #80
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    As would I . Personally, I would take a smart Game Manager anyday of the week before i take some all world jock who is clueless. The 2 QBs that interest me the most are Zack Dysert who Tony on the other draft forum compared to Chad Pennington with his knowledge and understanding of the game and Sean Renfree who compares favorably to Matt Schaub and was coached by the guy who coached the Manning brothers and is considered by many as a QB guru.
    Dysert is one of my favorites right next to (or between, its really a toss up) Nassib and Wilson. Agree with you on Renefree, he is my big sleeper this draft. However, going back to Dysert, you want to talk about poor talent? Look at Miami's team and THAT is a team devoid of household names. He's 6'4, pretty mobile, strong & accurate arm (throws with GREAT anticipation), smart, and never posted lower than a 60 comp. % and by all accounts appears to be a solid fit for the WCO. I agree with Tony's Chad comparison except Dysert has the better arm. The only big knock I see on Dysert is that his level of competition wasn't great but he really has no control over that. Still, that didn't hinder Big Ben too much did it?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us