Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: Barkley will NOT throw at combine.

  1. #1
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    12,087
    Post Thanks / Like

    Barkley will NOT throw at combine.

    Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer
    As ESPN reported, USC quarterback Matt Barkley will throw at his Pro Day in LA, rather than Indy. He'll be an interesting player to track.


    Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer
    What I've gotten from scouts/execs on Barkley varies WILDLY. But all think his intangibles are off-the-charts, has a shot to help himself.


    Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer
    Best: Aikman-like qualities. Worst: He's Kellen Moore. RT @JetsFan512 @AlbertBreer List the best thing you heard and worst thing you heard.



    Interesting what staying for your Senior year will do for your draft stock.

    I think if Barkley threw next to guys like Wilson, Glennon and Bray, his lack of arm strength would become increasingly evident.
    Last edited by sec.101row23; 02-18-2013 at 11:25 AM.

  2. #2
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    2,563
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer
    As ESPN reported, USC quarterback Matt Barkley will throw at his Pro Day in LA, rather than Indy. He'll be an interesting player to track.


    Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer
    What I've gotten from scouts/execs on Barkley varies WILDLY. But all think his intangibles are off-the-charts, has a shot to help himself.


    Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer
    Best: Aikman-like qualities. Worst: He's Kellen Moore. RT @JetsFan512 @AlbertBreer List the best thing you heard and worst thing you heard.



    Interesting what staying for your Senior year will do for your draft stock.
    can you say boom or bust??

  3. #3
    All League
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    2,794
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like he has vaginitis

  4. #4
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,433
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not throwing at the combine shouldnt effect him. He has 2 good WR at home he will be throwing to. For guys like Glannon who doesn't have good WR at home this is well more of an opportunity. For Barkley even if he looked great it still wouldn't improve his stock. We already know he can make all the passes it is not well needed.

  5. #5
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    717
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great intangibles. Hmm sounds like another USC QB I know....

  6. #6
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    18,662
    Post Thanks / Like
    I bet you Sanchez (Leinart too) has hurt Barkley's stock.

  7. #7
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    20,751
    Post Thanks / Like
    Stay away from all of these 'top rated' Qb's in this draft. The teams that take any of these guys in the 1st round will be sorry.

  8. #8
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    12,087
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    Not throwing at the combine shouldnt effect him. He has 2 good WR at home he will be throwing to. For guys like Glannon who doesn't have good WR at home this is well more of an opportunity. For Barkley even if he looked great it still wouldn't improve his stock. We already know he can make all the passes it is not well needed.
    I think his arm strength is going to be questioned big time.

  9. #9
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    6,408
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegi5894 View Post
    Great intangibles. Hmm sounds like another USC QB I know....
    Sanchez? He has terrible intangibles. The guy folds up like a cheap suit under pressure. Pennington had the intangibles.

  10. #10
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,433
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    I think his arm strength is going to be questioned big time.
    Not so much his arm strength as his deep accuracy. His arm is plenty strong for the NFL. Most of his INTs came off of him trying to thread the needle deep. But with the shorter WRs he had it is well over stated. I doubt they will find any red flags looking at his arm.

  11. #11
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    25,543
    Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe it's just me, but I consider the QB workouts at the combine to be the most useless anyway.

    You're watching these guys throw under zero pressure to receivers who are totally uncovered.

  12. #12
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    4,408
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    Not so much his arm strength as his deep accuracy. His arm is plenty strong for the NFL. Most of his INTs came off of him trying to thread the needle deep. But with the shorter WRs he had it is well over stated. I doubt they will find any red flags looking at his arm.
    USC runs a gimmick offense to a degree, lots of screens, short throws anything to put the ball in the hands of their playmakers, who get lots of YAC.

    It makes it really hard to judge USC QBs, Barkley being no exception.

  13. #13
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,433
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I bet you Sanchez (Leinart too) has hurt Barkley's stock.
    Barkley was nothing like Sanchez IMO. Sanchez was all raw ability and no natural instincts. Barkley has the natural instincts to be a QB but is less dynamic. Barkley is more of an old school read and react QB. He'd be perfect for the O we are going to run. He is a leader that gets others involved and is not afraid to make plays happen. Where as Sanchez relies more on his own physical ability and doesn't seem to trust his WRs at times. Barkley could run his own O at this point where as I don't think you could ever say that of Mark. I never liked Sanchez coming out of the draft. Barkley to me is just a much better prospect. I think the bigger factor is everything Kiffen touches turns into crap. Why people keep hiring him to be a HC is beyond me. Did he ruin anther QB? I seriously can't answer that. If Barkley fails it will be mentally and I just think he is in that aspect more ready then Matt or Mark was.

  14. #14
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    7,078
    Post Thanks / Like
    Barkley and Sanchez should never be compared. They went to the same school, are both right handed and are the same height... But that is the end of it.

    Barkley is a 4 year starter, threw 116 TDs and completed 60% of his passes all 4 years. He's a leader and has overcome adversity playing at USC while they were on probation.

    He has nothing to gain by throwing at the combine and his shoulder is still not 100% so this is a no brainier.

  15. #15
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    25,543
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Monsterxman View Post
    USC runs a gimmick offense to a degree, lots of screens, short throws anything to put the ball in the hands of their playmakers, who get lots of YAC.

    It makes it really hard to judge USC QBs, Barkley being no exception.
    That doesn't sound like a gimmick, it sounds like a traditional west coast offense.

  16. #16
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    717
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefst2000 View Post
    Sanchez? He has terrible intangibles. The guy folds up like a cheap suit under pressure. Pennington had the intangibles.
    those are tangibles to me, things that you can measure on tape, pocket presence, footwork, etc. Intangibles are things like how he acts off the field, his moxy (which in college was good), his leadership qualities (again in college legit), and his ability to lead in the lockerroom (college....you get the picture).

    I remember when teams were interviewing him all they could talk about were his intangibles. My point is, how did that work out for us?

  17. #17
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    4,408
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    That doesn't sound like a gimmick, it sounds like a traditional west coast offense.
    Maybe gimmick is a poor choice of words, I just mean that USC QBs play with so much talent and when you combine that with short passing, screens and tons of yards after catch, they all put up dazzling stats...

    I hardly call it a traditional west coast offense given the disparity of talent the typical USC QB has at his disposal vs the defenses he faces.

    My thoughts anyway...

  18. #18
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    12,087
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Maybe it's just me, but I consider the QB workouts at the combine to be the most useless anyway.

    You're watching these guys throw under zero pressure to receivers who are totally uncovered.
    Totally agree. If the kid doesnt look all world throwing at the combine something is really wrong.

    On a side note, I think they should change the combine and have 1 on 1 drills like they do at the Senior Bowl. Nothing crazy, still in shorts, but at least it offers some competitive match ups.
    Last edited by sec.101row23; 02-18-2013 at 06:46 PM.

  19. #19
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    7,588
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsfanfromtheBURGH View Post
    Sounds like he has vaginitis
    No, sounds like he wants to give his shoulder another 6 weeks to heal.

  20. #20
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    7,588
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    That doesn't sound like a gimmick, it sounds like a traditional west coast offense.
    good one

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us