Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Revis on NFL Network: "I need answers and I'm not getting any" (Merged Revis)

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    If the Jets want to be a well rounded balanced team that consistently gets to the playoffs, you don't do that by paying a CB , QB money.
    After Sanchez, and considering he's gone after this year, when will the Jets be paying a QB franchise money?

Even if we draft a QB, he'll be paid according to his draft slot....so really,even if we pay Revis franchise player money, not too sure the franchise will suffer financially

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by RevisCroWilson View Post
    That was as free agent...which revis is not. Thats why you cant remove the possibility of him ssettling for less by not risk inganother injury trying to play his way to free agency. ..

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    except, of course, the fact that he held out for his current contract (the biggest for a db in league history) while he was under contract for TWO MORE YEARS. He didn't settle then, what makes you think he will this time?

The mental gymnastics that the "ZOMG!!!! REVIS IS DA BESTEST EVA!!!!!!" crowd goes through.

ridiculous.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by tfine350z View Post
    What if he says yes?? We get it. Your trying to come up with every possible scenario that would end up bad for the Jets...
    of course he is. He's a worthless POS troll c*nt.

This reminds me of the John Abraham trade - if I recall the Jets shopped him...Atlanta put forth the best offer and the Jets allowed Atlanta to talk contract with him...they agreed on a contract so the trade went through. If they didnt agree on a contract the trade would not be finalized.

Jets received a late 1st rd pick which turned out to be Mangold. Revis is a better player than Abe but Jets had the franchise tag still as leverage....I say it evens out in the end. Jets make a similar deal for a 1st and a 3rd. If they still had the franchise tag it would be for more....but a team like SF or Denver will jump at a late 1st and 3rd for Revis IMO. Its also best for the team at this point IMO.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Didn't anyone learn anything from the financial collapse?

Quote Originally Posted by tfine350z View Post
    What if he says yes?? We get it. Your trying to come up with every possible scenario that would end up bad for the Jets...
    LOL, exactly.

The trolling continues.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    +1 The only thing Revis and Reasonable have in common is they both start with the letter R..
    The guy has let it be known for the past two years that he wants to be the highest paid defensive player in NFL history. Why people think he's suddenly going to backtrack away from that, I have no clue.

And even if we did give into his demands, you know he'll want to come back to the bargaining table 2 years from now when a team like Houston makes J.J. Watt the richest defender in league history.

Trade his ass to the highest bidder and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by Long Suffering Jets Fan View Post
    Same old Jets fans. Every year they want to blow it up and start all over if we didn't win the big one, and it's for that reason that we haven't won the big one, "Short term win it now thinking".

Hey if we get an unbelievable deal for Revis I can rationalize trading him, but some of these SOJF will trade him for a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

Revis is by far the best player on the Jets, yet he doesn't come close to top 5 in compensation. Cromartie makes alot more than Revis and next year will save us $9.75M against the cap, is a year older and will be up for a new contract the year after Darrell. Not to mention Revis will cost us $3M to get rid of, Cromartie will net $1.25M this year.

You wonder why Cro has been quiet, it's because he's getting paid WAY MORE than the best player in his position since perhaps the beginning of the NFL, I'd keep my mouth shut too.

Why aren't the *****ing about Cromartie, or Harris (the highest paid player on the team)? I believe it's that some folks get annoyed with contract negotiations that go public. Perhaps it reminds them that football at it's core is a business and not the fairy tale that they grew up thinking it was.

Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    Dead on.

It's not about Revis, but the position he plays.

CB's do not dominate football games, put teams on their back to win, lead 4th quarter comebacks or lead teams to Super Bowl victories.

The great ones, like Revis, only neutralize 1/53rd of an opposing teams roster.

For those results, you don't tie up 15% of the salary cap.

It's more like 1/11th of the opposing players, but I agree with you `100%

What you want and what you will settle for are 2 diff things....hE prettymuch. Lost that chance of being the highest paid def player when he got hurt. Which is why he wull SETTLE for less inorder not to risk another injury. ......

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    What does last year's injury have to do with him maximizing his value in being a FA in 13 months from now?

I think he is going to sign with the jets and be the highest paid CB in the nfl. But last years injury only had the effect of making him more difficult to trade him, not in his ability to get a top contract. he has all of 2013 to prove he is now the player he was.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by freestater View Post
    except, of course, the fact that he held out for his current contract (the biggest for a db in league history) while he was under contract for TWO MORE YEARS. He didn't settle then, what makes you think he will this time?

The mental gymnastics that the "ZOMG!!!! REVIS IS DA BESTEST EVA!!!!!!" crowd goes through.

ridiculous.

FIrst off I already came out and said I wouldn't want to keep him for 16 mill a year and I still don't believe that is what he will get now. Now if revis is willing to play this year out and he plays as good if not better than he did in the past than he will get that money, but not from the jets, which I am fine with. But who is really going to bet on him taking that chance at losing 13 mill a year (a number that I think the jets are comfortable with and so would most jet fans), he pulls a Terrell Thomas and blows his acl out again. The dude will not get 1/2 of that 13 mill if that happens with basically no guarantees. IN my opinion the injury has put the jets in the best position possible because it gives them some leverage. SO TO REMOVE THE FACT THAT HE WILL NOT NEGOTIATE DOWN FROM HIS 16 MIILION IS JUST AS IDIOTIC OF A STATEMENT AS SAYING JUST GIVE HIM WHAT HE WANTS.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    What does last year's injury have to do with him maximizing his value in being a FA in 13 months from now?

I think he is going to sign with the jets and be the highest paid CB in the nfl. But last years injury only had the effect of making him more difficult to trade him, not in his ability to get a top contract. he has all of 2013 to prove he is now the player he was.
    Yes he has all 2013 to prove that he is healthy or he has all of 2013 to get hurt again. If that happens and he doesnt secure a contract that would make him the ighest paid cb (13 mill) he will have lost himself a lot of money. Now he may say eff it and play it out and if that happens that is when the jets will trade him Personally I dont think its worth the risk to make an extra 2-3 million a year...but who knows.

Jets Insider VIP
    You said that Revis would be free to negotiate with other teams if the Jets give permission.

My point was that still does not guarantee the Jets anything in return.

And if Revis says yes, the Jets would probably make out like bandits.
    The bolded is true, but I distincly remember a similar situation in the past with another player. The team gave the player the permission to negotiate with other teams and actually told the agent to solicit trade compensation for the team. This way there isn't cross negotiations (team negotiating with team A for trade while player negotiates with team B for a contract) and the player is accomodated.

Revis' No. 1 goal is getting paid big money right now. He's not going to lose that because his prospective team wants to lowball the Jets on trade compensation.

Jets Insider VIP
    SO TO REMOVE THE FACT THAT HE WILL NOT NEGOTIATE DOWN FROM HIS 16 MIILION IS JUST AS IDIOTIC OF A STATEMENT AS SAYING JUST GIVE HIM WHAT HE WANTS.
    No, it's not.

Revis and his agents have shown absolutely nothing in the past to indicate that they're the least bit reasonable or flexible when it comes to their contract demands.

Oh, you say my client tore his ACL last year? Well, look no further than Adrian Peterson coming off an ACL tear only to come within less than 10 yards of breaking the single season rushing record less than a year later.

There's no doubt that those dicks will bring up that little nugget at the bargaining table.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by BrowningNagle View Post
    This reminds me of the John Abraham trade - if I recall the Jets shopped him...Atlanta put forth the best offer and the Jets allowed Atlanta to talk contract with him...they agreed on a contract so the trade went through. If they didnt agree on a contract the trade would not be finalized.

Jets received a late 1st rd pick which turned out to be Mangold. Revis is a better player than Abe but Jets had the franchise tag still as leverage....I say it evens out in the end. Jets make a similar deal for a 1st and a 3rd. If they still had the franchise tag it would be for more....but a team like SF or Denver will jump at a late 1st and 3rd for Revis IMO. Its also best for the team at this point IMO.
    That's a good analogy, but although the Jets don't have the franchise tag for Revis, he is still under contract so it's similar to Abe's situation. Abe was an UFA who was franchise tagged so the Jets still owned the rights, an analogous situation to the Jets with Revis now.

The Jets will get good compensation for Revis if they decide to go that route. Anyone who thinks otherwise is not looking at the complete situation.

It's in Revis' best financial interest for a good trade to happen from the Jets perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    That's a good analogy, but although the Jets don't have the franchise tag for Revis, he is still under contract so it's similar to Abe's situation. Abe was an UFA who was franchise tagged so the Jets still owned the rights, an analogous situation to the Jets with Revis now.

The Jets will get good compensation for Revis if they decide to go that route. Anyone who thinks otherwise is not looking at the complete situation.

It's in Revis' best financial interest for a good trade to happen from the Jets perspective.
    With abraham the Jets could have always franchise tagged Abraham again. With Revis they don't have any options as he toatlly free the next year.
    There is no guarantee IF the Jets trade him they will get good compensation for Revis. That is totally false. IF Revis wants to test FA in 2014 ,( why it was so important to get that Jets can't use the franchise tag in contract) the Jets are screwed. A Fact.

Why would Revis let the Jets determine where he ends his career. In 2014 FA Revis and Uncle Sean Gilbert can let a lot of teams compete for his service. Than it money money. Music to both ears.

Case In point hey Revis we just traded you to Oakland/ Detriot and were letting you work out a contract with them. Yea what incentive for Revis to sign contract extension with that team. When he can wait one more year and go where he wants to go. There is a reason players fought for free agency.
    Last edited by Raider9175; 02-19-2013 at 11:13 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    The bolded is true, but I distincly remember a similar situation in the past with another player. The team gave the player the permission to negotiate with other teams and actually told the agent to solicit trade compensation for the team. This way there isn't cross negotiations (team negotiating with team A for trade while player negotiates with team B for a contract) and the player is accomodated.

Revis' No. 1 goal is getting paid big money right now. He's not going to lose that because his prospective team wants to lowball the Jets on trade compensation.
    But this is probably the only situation that the Jets can control.

Hypothetically, let's say the Jets give Revis permission to negotiate a long-term contract with the 49ers.

The 49ers agree to pay Revis $100MM over a 6-year period and he agrees.

But the 49ers only offer the Jets a 2013 first (31st overall pick) and a 2014 3rd.

The Jets can then say no to the trade.

I also agree with your comment that it would be in the best interest of both teams to negotiate in good faith.

Hall Of Fame
    But this is probably the only situation that the Jets can control.

Hypothetically, let's say the Jets give Revis permission to negotiate a long-term contract with the 49ers.

The 49ers agree to pay Revis $100MM over a 6-year period and he agrees.

But the 49ers only offer the Jets a 2013 first (31st overall pick) and a 2014 3rd.

The Jets can then say no to the trade.

I also agree with your comment that it would be in the best interest of both teams to negotiate in good faith.
    All three parties will negotiate in good faith. Both GMs and Revis' agents know that their reputations would be at stake. This isn't Tanny we are talking about. Tanny had a bad rep with agents and fellow GMs.

The only obstacle is Revis' knee. I would assume that the team trading for him would want to work him out and that could be risky. If the knee is fine then everyone will end up happy with the deal. If there are conflicting opinions then things will be a little hairy.

I would prefer a #1 in 2014 and another conditional pick. Maybe a #3 that can elevate based on performance. I have no interest in Denver or SF's #1 in 2013. I want the opportunity of hitting the jackpot if Kaep or Manning go down.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    No, it's not.

Revis and his agents have shown absolutely nothing in the past to indicate that they're the least bit reasonable or flexible when it comes to their contract demands.

Oh, you say my client tore his ACL last year? Well, look no further than Adrian Peterson coming off an ACL tear only to come within less than 10 yards of breaking the single season rushing record less than a year later.

There's no doubt that those dicks will bring up that little nugget at the bargaining table.
    They can say whatever they want. If they demand the 16 million he will get traded. Personally I don't think they will be stupid enough to pass up 13 mill a year without proving your healthy and at the same time not having to risk a whole year without getting paid. That is my point and it will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Raider9175 View Post
    With abraham the Jets could have always franchise tagged Abraham again. With Revis they don't have any options as he toatlly free the next year.
    There is no guarantee IF the Jets trade him they will get good compensation for Revis. That is totally false. IF Revis wants to test FA in 2014 ,( why it was so important to get that Jets can't use the franchise tag in contract) the Jets are screwed. A Fact.

Why would Revis let the Jets determine where he ends his career. In 2014 FA Revis and Uncle Sean Gilbert can let a lot of teams compete for his service. Than it money money. Music to both ears.

Case In point hey Revis we just traded you to Oakland/ Detriot and were letting you work out a contract with them. Yea what incentive for Revis to sign contract extension with that team. When he can wait one more year and go where he wants to go. There is a reason players fought for free agency.
    After tearing his ACL in 2012, Revis is not playing out 2013 in the hopes of hitting a big payday in 2014. Revis wants a big payday now. Thus, he will do everything in his power to land with a new team that will pay him. That includes lobbying the new team to give the Jets compensation they will agree to.

Seriously. How can you possibly think after what just happened to Revis last year that he has any intention of gambling with his future and playing out 2013 with the hopes of hitting the lottery next year?

Revis is not going to have the Jets dictate where he goes. He's going to play ball with them so he can get paid now and in order for that to happen the Jets will have to be properly compensated.