Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Revis on NFL Network: "I need answers and I'm not getting any" (Merged Revis)

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    This move is going to backfire on him in terms of public support, unless he responds quickly.

His prior history counters his attempt to garner sympathy.
    But he's worried for Jets Nation having to 'go through this'. LOL! As if

Revis is going to be a GREAT safety in this league towards the end of his career. Once he makes the move to safety, he will be a bigger playmaker.

I am not opposed to trading him, but if we can lock him up for the next 7 years I won't be against it. Age won't be an issue, he is a hard worker and will be a great safety once he gets older.

Quote Originally Posted by Winstonbiggs View Post
    Personally I would like to see the salary cap go so guys like Revis could get a contract that they were happy enough to play out.
    Spoken like a NY/Boston/LA/Philly/Chicago/ baseball fan. Let us outspend the rest of the league and they can be our farm system. Because we have more resources, who cares about the other fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Gastineau99 View Post
    Revis is going to be a GREAT safety in this league towards the end of his career. Once he makes the move to safety, he will be a bigger playmaker.

I am not opposed to trading him, but if we can lock him up for the next 7 years I won't be against it. Age won't be an issue, he is a hard worker and will be a great safety once he gets older.
    safety?? I dont see that at all.. He is 1 of the best ever at covering, can change direction on a dime, tremendous ability to anticipate which way a WR will break.. all great traits for a cb. Most dbs would make better safties than dbs, because its much harder to do what revis does 1 on 1. Laudry great safety but cant see him at corner.. safeties dont usually cover WRs 1 on 1, they help, and they have the TE's have to watch Rbs, qbs.. He could be a good safety, like many other guys, but can do so much more as a corner..

Regardless if we can keep cro's head on straight we still have 1 of the nfls top corners, I agree with those if we can get any kind of decent deal trade him.. Revis must be nearing his top prime, if he hasnt seen it already.. we need to spend # elsewhere.. If we were going to make push for the superbowl next yr Id say keep him and worry about it in offseason, but no way thats happening with mark sanchez..

Quote Originally Posted by LockeJET View Post
    The Jets didn't feel the need to call Revis because they are trading his ass.

Most of us know the deal here. In a perfect world we don't want to lose our best player. But CB's don't win championships and this team is far away from truly competing. No need to pay a CB 100 million when you don't have what it takes to truly win. If the Jets were a legit contender today, Revis would be going nowhere. Timing is the real issue here. Just like it was with Peppers.

We all know trading Revis is the smart thing to do to begin this rebuild and get this team going in the right direction. Revis was getting traded injury or not. That being said, why would the Jets call Revis when they know he's getting shipped out the door soon anyways. No need to smooth things over with the best player when the front office knows he's a goner.

Sucks he's gone but its the right thing to do right now.
    Why would the jets not want to upset Revis? You understand that he could squash the best trade offer the jets get. Team A calls up and offers a 3rd rd pick sight unseen for Revis. Team B offers a 2nd but wants a physical first.
    Revis says no to physical. jets get a third, revis says yes, jets get a 2nd.

God, this ship happens every year in baseball with players that have no trades or similar covenants. The team sometimes even sweetens the pot.

Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    Spoken like a NY/Boston/LA/Philly/Chicago/ baseball fan. Let us outspend the rest of the league and they can be our farm system. Because we have more resources, who cares about the other fans.
    That used to be the case. Things are starting to change towards teams drafting players and locking them up EARLY so that when they hit free agency, they are middle aged or old.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cleansweep2013 View Post
    safety?? I dont see that at all.. He is 1 of the best ever at covering, can change direction on a dime, tremendous ability to anticipate which way a WR will break.. all great traits for a cb. Most dbs would make better safties than dbs, because its much harder to do what revis does 1 on 1. Laudry great safety but cant see him at corner.. safeties dont usually cover WRs 1 on 1, they help, and they have the TE's have to watch Rbs, qbs.. He could be a good safety, like many other guys, but can do so much more as a corner..

Regardless if we can keep cro's head on straight we still have 1 of the nfls top corners, I agree with those if we can get any kind of decent deal trade him.. Revis must be nearing his top prime, if he hasnt seen it already.. we need to spend # elsewhere.. If we were going to make push for the superbowl next yr Id say keep him and worry about it in offseason, but no way thats happening with mark sanchez..
    And then there was Ronnie Lott a All Pro CB who switched to Safety after 5 seasons.. Revis could play any DB spot he's that good but the decision has to be made this year before camp.. Letting him walk next year as a FA is insane..

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Why would the jets not want to upset Revis? You understand that he could squash the best trade offer the jets get. Team A calls up and offers a 3rd rd pick sight unseen for Revis. Team B offers a 2nd but wants a physical first.

God, this ship happens every year in baseball with players that have no trades or similar covenants. The team sometimes even sweetens the pot.
    Because of team B is willing to pay Revis the 100 mil he wants he ain't squashing sh!t. He will go where the money is. A guy coming off injury will take the deal right away.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    And then there was Ronnie Lott a All Pro CB who switched to Safety after 5 seasons.. Revis could play any DB spot he's that good but the decision has to be made this year before camp.. Letting him walk next year as a FA is insane..
    Rod Woodson another example.

All Pro
    LEt it go, LET IT GO: The cold never bothered me anyway
    Because of team B is willing to pay Revis the 100 mil he wants he ain't squashing sh!t. He will go where the money is. A guy coming off injury will take the deal right away.
    Good point, but Revis has been about $$$ since day 1. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but he has been a contract malcontent every season he has been a Jet (every season of his NFL career).

He would have taken the best deal coming off a hangnail injury, or a knee rebuild.

He is ever so whorry like that.

Well i am looking at it from the point is that a team may be willing to part with a draft pick to rent him for 1 year. let hin go to FA and get the comp pick, similar to what the pats did with Talib this last year. If your thinking about getting a first for him, no team will do so until he is on the field and only if Revis agrees to sign long term
    with them.

you are much more sure that there is a team out there willing to give him his money and the jets a #1. I think there is a much better chance that he is signed as a one year rental with maybe a conditional pick if he resigns with that team.
    Last edited by patman; 02-18-2013 at 06:29 PM.

Veteran

When was the last time a player who didn't have a no trade clause, stopped a trade, I don't remember hearing this reported, but I may be wrong.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    That used to be the case. Things are starting to change towards teams drafting players and locking them up EARLY so that when they hit free agency, they are middle aged or old.
    You do realize that the CBA dictates the maximum length of rookie contracts?

Rod Woodson another example.
    Lott and woodson were better at crushing guys then covering.. ball hawks.. better at safety.. Not saying revis wouldnt be a good safety, he would, but hes best 1 on 1 cover guy maybe ever, his best usage at that skill is def cb. Cro would also be a good safety, has height to cover TEs.

Quote Originally Posted by bcess View Post
    When was the last time a player who didn't have a no trade clause, stopped a trade, I don't remember hearing this reported, but I may be wrong.
    I don't know, football trades are so rare, then throw in how often is the traded guy in his last contract year. The point I was making to the poster to whom I responded was that there is a down side to pissing the player off. and I laid out a very plausible scenario where he refused to take a physical for a team that wanted him for a one year rental.

Are you saying that there is no downside to pissing him off?

All League
    If the GM listens to the fans, he'll be sitting with ....

Hall Of Fame
    I don't know, football trades are so rare, then throw in how often is the traded guy in his last contract year. The point I was making to the poster to whom I responded was that there is a down side to pissing the player off. and I laid out a very plausible scenario where he refused to take a physical for a team that wanted him for a one year rental.

Are you saying that there is no downside to pissing him off?
    I am not sure if a player can deny a physical in a trade scenario.

All Pro
    LEt it go, LET IT GO: The cold never bothered me anyway
    Well i am looking at it from the point is that a team may be willing to part with a draft pick to rent him for 1 year. let hin go to FA and get the comp pick, similar to what the pats did with Talib this last year. If your thinking about getting a first for him, no team will do so until he is on the field and only if Revis agrees to sign long term
    with them.

you are much more sure that there is a team out there willing to give him his money and the jets a #1. I think there is a much better chance that he is signed as a one year rental with maybe a conditional pick if he resigns with that team.
    Dude...did u see the injury?
    Are you familiar with Darelle Revis?

The 2 bolded statements you made above are just wrong.

Who cares?!?! This team is so far gone that it wouldn't matter if we kept him. Trade him and see what we can build off of it.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by BRONX JET View Post
    If the GM listens to the fans, he'll be sitting with ....
    For real. It would be career suicide for a rookie GM to trade away the best player our franchise has ever had. He'd be the laughingstock of the league. There's lots of ways to structure a contract, Izdik needs to make this happen, then move on to more important things like getting us a QB.