Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OK, now the hard part starts.

Hall Of Fame

OK, now the hard part starts.

Well now that the obvious cuts were made official, it is time for Idzik to start earning his money. The Jets are now about 6 million under the cap right now, so other moves need to be made to create some more room. Tebow will save another 1.5 million. Pouha could be another 3.8 million.

Still not a lot of money to sign a bunch of players that are now needed. This is where many of us have said the problems could start and that the cap situation, despite being able to cut all that money and really not lose any player of value, is not in very good shape.
    Last edited by sec.101row23; 02-19-2013 at 05:22 PM.

its go time and time to restructure guys like revis,harris,holmes,sanchez.

pouha and devito goners?

Pretty sure Pouha will go, too. How much do they need to sign drfat picks?

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by section314 View Post
    Pretty sure Pouha will go, too. How much do they need to sign drfat picks?
    Around 5.6 million.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Would be nice if our d-line was Coples-Ellis-Wilkerson but I don't know that Kenrick has shown enough development that we could cut Pouha. NT's typically need to be rested here and there anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Well now that the obvious cuts were made official, it is time for Idzik to start earning his money. The Jets are now 5.1 million under the cap right now, so other moves need to be made to create some more room. Tebow will save another 1.5 million. Pouha could be another 3.8 million.

Still not a lot of money to sign a bunch of players that are now needed. This is where many of us have said the problems could start and that the cap situation, despite being able to cut all that money and really not lose any player of value, is not in very good shape.
    I don't see Idzik signing any "name" players. Matt Moore would be the biggest if he wants to go that route. Expect plenty of unknown FAs and draft picks to replace the guys that are cut.

Trade Revis that's another 3, cut Pouha that's another 4

I'd rather not cut Pouha though

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    Would be nice if our d-line was Coples-Ellis-Wilkerson but I don't know that Kenrick has shown enough development that we could cut Pouha. NT's typically need to be rested here and there anyways.
    Good NT's are an asset, IMO you find a way to keep Pouha or trade him, you don't cut him though.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    I don't see Idzik signing any "name" players. Matt Moore would be the biggest if he wants to go that route. Expect plenty of unknown FAs and draft picks to replace the guys that are cut.
    I like Matt Moore. But he has had enough starts in my book that shows you what he is. A solid yet unspectacular starting qb. I do not see any upside here.

Matt Flynn is the better play here. He still has that unknown upside. Did he get beat out by wilson? yes. But that is becasue wilson brought the scrambling ability to the table. Unfortunately, Flynn didnt. I dont think it had to do with flynn not being any good.

Matt Flynn can be had at a reasonable price and a contract that we can get out of if it doesnt work out. He would fit in great with the quick, short passing attack of morningwigs WCO.

Bring in Flynn!

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Nike View Post
    its go time and time to restructure guys like revis,harris,holmes,sanchez.

pouha and devito goners?
    I would hate if they restructured Harris, Holmes and Sanchez. Assuming the restructures are like the ones that Tanny did.

Pouha is gone, IIRC his 2013 salary was only guaranteed for injury, not performance. I would love to keep Devito but I think he is UFA and there will be multiple suitors.

We need to focus on bringing in a veteran Guard if we do not keep one of Moore/Slauson. I don't want to go into the season with Vlad and a rookie starting, even if that rookie is Warmack.
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 02-19-2013 at 05:33 PM.

I think we need to keep at least one of Pouha or Devito.

Depending on how much Devito wants I would lean towards cutting Pouha and resigning Devito.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    I like Matt Moore. But he has had enough starts in my book that shows you what he is. A solid yet unspectacular starting qb. I do not see any upside here.

Matt Flynn is the better play here. He still has that unknown upside. Did he get beat out by wilson? yes. But that is becasue wilson brought the scrambling ability to the table. Unfortunately, Flynn didnt. I dont think it had to do with flynn not being any good.

Matt Flynn can be had at a reasonable price and a contract that we can get out of if it doesnt work out. He would fit in great with the quick, short passing attack of morningwigs WCO.

Bring in Flynn!
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri_0515 View Post

Trading Revis would actually trigger a cap hit of $3Million. There is no savings there. Cutting Pouha saves 3 Million I believe so the two moves you suggested would be a wash leaving us at 6 Million under but needing to replace a starting CB and NT.

Bring in Flynn!
    Can we really afford both Sanchez and Flynn? We could sign Moore cheaper. I don't consider either option to be great, but neither are the options in the draft. Idzik has to do something though

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri_0515 View Post

Actually trading Revis costs 3 million against the cap I think.

Jets Insider VIP
    Can we really afford both Sanchez and Flynn? We could sign Moore cheaper. I don't consider either option to be great, but neither are the options in the draft. Idzik has to do something though
    If Flynn gets cut, we can sign him for whatever we want. He went to Seattle and got beaten out by a rookie. He cant command the salary he did last year after failing to win the starting qb job.

Thats why its a great sign.

Or maybe we give seattle a 5th(that turns into a 3rd if he leads us to the playoffs) and Idzik restructures his deal. Matt Flynn needs to get on the football field if he wants to make real money in the future. A restructure to get on the Jets now could benefit him on a future contract. The guys need to play.
    Last edited by Joe W. Namath; 02-19-2013 at 05:45 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Depends on if you want to sign any other players. They would cost roughly 18 million combined.

All Pro
    we need to do something with Harris, Sanchez, Tebow, maybe even cromartie

figure out what we are doing with Revis, Landry, Keller, Holmes situations

Hall Of Fame
    If Flynn gets cut, we can sign him for whatever we want. He went to Seattle and got beaten out by a rookie. He cant command the salary he did last year after failing to win the starting qb job.

Thats why its a great sign.
    Doesnt make a lot of sense for Seattle to simply cut him though. They only save 1.2 million in cap vs. 6 million in dead money. They will likely try their hardest to trade him if they want to get rid of him. Otherwise he will stay their back up.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Doesnt make a lot of sense for Seattle to simply cut him though. They only save 1.2 million in cap vs. 6 million in dead money. They will likely try their hardest to trade him if they want to get rid of him. Otherwise he will stay their back up.
    Or maybe we give seattle a 5th(that turns into a 3rd if he leads us to the playoffs) and Idzik restructures his deal. Matt Flynn needs to get on the football field if he wants to make real money in the future. A restructure to get on the Jets now could benefit him on a future contract. The guys need to play.