Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Revis on NFL Network: "I need answers and I'm not getting any" (Merged Revis)

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The way it seems to me:
    Revis may whine and complain, but he would be outright stupid to actually hold out, becuase he would have an extra 3 years added on to his contract. He can hold out, and not play, but even without the 3 years he cannot go two years without playing and expect $15M+ / year

In lieu of this, he can complain about the the management and how they handled this. He can complain that the Jets don't care, and he can complain that the Jets kicked his dog. But really, that's it. I don't really see why it matters that he said this.

However... People need to stop thinking of Revis as a "Jet", and think of him as what he now is. Revis is a one year rental, he just happens to be on the Jets now. He is no different than Landry was last season, except he costs more and he's much better, and, he can be traded for picks.

Veteran
    Rochester, NY--Originally from Long Island
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes9 View Post
    I believe one way around what you've talked about is a sign and trade deal. Also, I'm not entirely sure that what you said is correct, re: the receiving team being able to work something out in advance.

The Tavaris Jackson trade in 2012 for example:

That sounds more like a trade contingent upon restructure versus a sign and trade deal.
    Tavaris Jackson agreed to take a paycut for the Seahawks, not the Bills. Once the Seahawks got him to take a paycut then they were able to trade him to the Bills. The Bills didn't work the paycut out with him b/c they are not allowed to speak with a player from a different team until that player is on there team.

Also there is no such thing as a sign and trade contract in the NFL, this isn't MLB. And that is b/c bonus money can't get carried over from one team to another. So in theory if it was allowed the Jets would be on the hook for all of the bonus money (probably $40 million) that would be in a new contract for Revis and the team who is trading for him would only have to pay his base salary. It makes no sense and that is why it doesn't exist in the NFL.
    Last edited by Choon328; 02-18-2013 at 11:01 PM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Choon328 View Post
    Tavaris Jackson agreed to take a paycut for the Seahawks, not the Bills. Once the Seahawks got him to take a paycut then they were able to trade him to the Bills. The Bills didn't work the paycut out with him b/c they are not allowed to speak with a player from a different team until that player is on there team.

Also there is no such thing as a sign and trade contract in the NFL, this isn't MLB. And that is b/c bonus money can't get carried over from one team to another. So in theory if it was allowed the Jets would be on the hook for all of the bonus money (probably $40 million) that would be in a new contract for Revis and the team who is trading for him would only have to pay his base salary. It makes no sense and that is why it doesn't exist in the NFL.

Are you sure about the Jackson trade ? I ask because the article says the opposite.

Also, wrt sign and trade deals and bonuses, I think that depends on the contract. Don't remember the terminology, but in the Tebow trade, there was the clause in the contract that allowed Denver to recoup Tebow's bonus money. Denver and the Jets ended up negotiating that amount so that the trade would go through.

EDIT: NVM. The hangup in the Tebow trade was over salary paid in advance, not over bonus money.
    Last edited by Demosthenes9; 02-18-2013 at 11:16 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes9 View Post
    I think you misunderstood what was being said. He wasn't talking about moving Revis to safety immediately. Leave him at CB while he's still the best in the league, then, once age begins to hit him and he falls off at CB, move him to Safety and get more productive years out of him.
    Don't safeties have to tackle?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    The way it seems to me:
    Revis may whine and complain, but he would be outright stupid to actually hold out, becuase he would have an extra 3 years added on to his contract. He can hold out, and not play, but even without the 3 years he cannot go two years without playing and expect $15M+ / year

In lieu of this, he can complain about the the management and how they handled this. He can complain that the Jets don't care, and he can complain that the Jets kicked his dog. But really, that's it. I don't really see why it matters that he said this.

However... People need to stop thinking of Revis as a "Jet", and think of him as what he now is. Revis is a one year rental, he just happens to be on the Jets now. He is no different than Landry was last season, except he costs more and he's much better, and, he can be traded for picks.
    Fantastic!

/thread

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    Don't safeties have to tackle?
    I know a lot of people want to dump on him now and all, but, in addition to being the best cover corner in the league prior to his injury, Revis is a damn good tackler.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm over Revis and I don't care how good he is. We were fine without him last year and we won't be any better with him next year. Did he give the fans or the organization answers while he was holding out TWICE!! Get everything you can for him and move on. I would rather have two playmakers on offense so we can score a few more points which will help us more than Revis. Let him go be someone else's distraction.
    Last edited by TebowCan'tThrow; 02-19-2013 at 03:26 AM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Jets trade Revis to Denver for the 28th overall pick

1st round: OG Chance Warmack - Alabama

1st round: QB Mike Glennon - NC State

2nd round: OLB Alex Okafor - Texas

3rd round: RB Stepfan Taylor - Stanford

Gives this team a young foundation on offense to build around and a legit passrusher with a non-stop motor.

If we walked away from the first two days of the draft with that setup, I'd be happier than a pig in sh*t.
    Id sign up for that.. Not sure about Glennon though, think better off going for a qb in the 1st rd in 2014. Maybe grab a WR at late first, or if ND tight end is still there (imagine a TE who can catch and block) forget keller..

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Revis situation 101

Alright, what's happening is we got two legitimate sides.....

Each side hates Revis after all that he has done for us because....

-One side is justified only because of the fact that Revis has held out enough times in his career to the point where another hold-out isn't out of question. So **** Revis, right? He's greedy and he can go **** himself? We can probably get more out of him than he's worth anyway....**** it. We have Cromartie anyway...

-The other side is the people that realize hey, we have the best player that the New York Jets has ever seen. Maybe we should keep 'em? Yeah probably because regardless of whatever defense we're showing, he has shut down EVERY SINGLE RECEIVER that has been across him (except for those two s.johnson plays). Don't trade him!

Yeah I get it, he got hurt. If you think for a second that he's going to be a lesser player for it, well I'm sorry but you're a tad slow in the head.

My point is that we need to keep him, he's the best thing we've had since Namath. C'mon people...

But That's just my opinion...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Distractions

Each & every year this organization has something. Revis is a great player, but he's just 1 guy & a cornerback at that.
    Now if we had Tom Brady & Woody didn't want to make him the highest paid player in the NFL than I'd have a problem with that decision.
    For some weird reason, the Jets always seem to have their best players turn into malcontent douches.
    It happened with John Abraham, then Keyshawn, and Revis & his agents have been an issue the day he was drafted.
    But seriously, how can you not side with the Jets when it comes to Revis?
    When has this guy ever shown that he's all about the team? He held out with 2 years left on his contract.
    His agents abused Tanny & look where redoing that contract has us today. Say what you will about the new sheriff in town in Jacksonville & even though MJD is by far their best player, he stood his ground.
    Once you cave in to a player like Revis it NEVER ENDS.
    The audacity of Revis to go on the NFL network crying that Jets aren't letting him know what's going on is laughable.
    He had 2 effing years left on his contract & the Jets redid it, and his agents put in a Clause that the Jets COULD NOT FRANCHISE HIM.
    So tell me again, what did the Jets actually get out of that reworked contract?
    Not much considering he missed almost all of last year.
    If you want to be consistent in this league you have to follow the same principle as the Pats, Steelers, Ravens, Packers, Giants.
    Just look at those teams & the players that of grumble in the past. Osi has been *****ing for 2 years. Steelers told Wallace, sorry. Pats told Welker, " we luv ya little guy, but we are not paying you long term".
    Only 1 guy in the NFL deserves the really big bucks if you want to win a Superbowl & that's the franchise QB.
    Just wait until Revis loses a step & is no longer granted Michael Jordan status with the refs in this league. Sure he has great technique but let's be fair, he's always got his hands on the receivers, he's just great at it & gets the benefit of the doubt because of his reputation.
    If the Jets want to be a well rounded balanced team that consistently gets to the playoffs, you don't do that by paying a CB , QB money.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    Understand your premise, but what do we care what these players are paid?

As long as the team has a roster that is structured properly to the cap that puts the best possible talent on the field, and a team that wins, do we really care that Revis is being paid 16 mil or 11 mil?

What is funny, the players you mention, except for Ware, they haven't received their first FA contract yet.

Let's discuss this topic when the 49ers need start opening their wallets to players like Harris, Smith, Kaepernick, etc... With the Mario Williams contract, can you imagine the contract Watts is going to want when he becomes a FA?
    There's no way of knowing how Watts or those others will react when they get to the end of their contracts, but Revis wasn't even willing to wait until his first contract was close to done before he started to demand more money.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Can't have it both ways Revis.

So it's ok for him to hold out (twice) and the Jets have to sit here and take it, yet when the shoe is on the other foot, now his feels are hurt and it's personal?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The Ego Trip View Post

-One side is justified only because of the fact that Revis has held out enough times in his career to the point where another hold-out isn't out of question. So **** Revis, right? He's greedy and he can go **** himself? We can probably get more out of him than he's worth anyway....**** it. We have Cromartie anyway...

-The other side is the people that realize hey, we have the best player that the New York Jets has ever seen. Maybe we should keep 'em? Yeah probably because regardless of whatever defense we're showing, he has shut down EVERY SINGLE RECEIVER that has been across him (except for those two s.johnson plays). Don't trade him!

Yeah I get it, he got hurt. If you think for a second that he's going to be a lesser player for it, well I'm sorry but you're a tad slow in the head.

My point is that we need to keep him, he's the best thing we've had since Namath. C'mon people...

So your ok with paying Revis 15mill to shut down Brandon Lloyd making 4 mill?
    hartline making 5 mill (?) and Sterve Johnson Making 6 milll- OK you see the value in that.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    The bottom line ? Yes the Jets can rework numbers of other players and cut here and there but it means that somewhere else on the team they will not be able to afford talent. Revise held out when he had a contract, now he whines ? Sorry but this guys hat size is not too big to be part of a team

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just don't get why people take the negotiation process personally. We are all asuming right now he is demanding 15 + a year but I bet him and his agents know that if they want a contract done before season starts it will have to be 12 -13 mill a year, which I think everyone should be good with. Lets see how it plays out and stop whining because he called at the owner ot tried to put the pressure on the jets by having that interview.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mods, please change thread title to "Revis Situation Remedial".

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Same old Jets fans. Every year they want to blow it up and start all over if we didn't win the big one, and it's for that reason that we haven't won the big one, "Short term win it now thinking".

Hey if we get an unbelievable deal for Revis I can rationalize trading him, but some of these SOJF will trade him for a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

Revis is by far the best player on the Jets, yet he doesn't come close to top 5 in compensation. Cromartie makes alot more than Revis and next year will save us $9.75M against the cap, is a year older and will be up for a new contract the year after Darrell. Not to mention Revis will cost us $3M to get rid of, Cromartie will net $1.25M this year.

You wonder why Cro has been quiet, it's because he's getting paid WAY MORE than the best player in his position since perhaps the beginning of the NFL, I'd keep my mouth shut too.

Why aren't the *****ing about Cromartie, or Harris (the highest paid player on the team)? I believe it's that some folks get annoyed with contract negotiations that go public. Perhaps it reminds them that football at it's core is a business and not the fairy tale that they grew up thinking it was.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RevisCroWilson View Post
    I just don't get why people take the negotiation process personally. We are all asuming right now he is demanding 15 + a year but I bet him and his agents know that if they want a contract done before season starts it will have to be 12 -13 mill a year, which I think everyone should be good with. Lets see how it plays out and stop whining because he called at the owner ot tried to put the pressure on the jets by having that interview.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    You're right on target. This is a negotiation, you always start with a high number and meet in the middle somewhere. I believe the number will be around $13.5M, but much of the negotiation will be around the guaranteed money. We'll see how things progress. At the end of the day I'd bet Revis is a jet for at least the next 5 years.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Doesn't matter what the Jets want to do, Revis is going to do what Revis wants to do. Revis and his uncle Sean Gilbert are one year away from being unrestricted FA in 2014 and deciding who gets to pay him the most money(where does he keep much more in taxes) . After that it probably can that team win him a ring. They want to have control with their future and not let a team decide it for them.

Anyone that thinks it a slam dunk he re signing an extension with the Jets if they offered one is fooling themselves . (Even if they gave big coin)

The injury concern is the least of D Revis worries. The money your talking about with that next contract , D revis will do everything to insure he 100% healthy( rehab and if he has to see Arod doctor). I can't remember one player who had acl injury and wasn't the same player he was before. (there is just too much money in the game that these players get the top physical therapist and have the time to put the work in the rehabbing it right.

Again Lets see what happens this offseason and Let see how far off I was with my Revis prediction.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm looking forward to day 1 of the draft when we trade Revis for some team's best picks this year and next. What a sweet day that will be on so many levels.