Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Revis on NFL Network: "I need answers and I'm not getting any" (Merged Revis)

All League
    I never understood how fans side with Billionaire owners who would shut the sport down if they didn't get their way 2 summers ago. They saw the huge revenues over the next decade and there was no way in hell the players would see that. They would've shut the whole thing down and not give a rats ass.

But when a player, who puts their long term health on line, wants to make as much as they can ,in the small amount of time they have , it's a problem. Don't get it, never will.

Quote Originally Posted by BRONX JET View Post
    I never understood how fans side with Billionaire owners who would shut the sport down if they didn't get their way 2 summers ago. They saw the huge revenues over the next decade and there was no way in hell the players would see that. They would've shut the whole thing down and not give a rats ass.

But when a player, who puts their long term health on line, wants to make as much as they can ,in the small amount of time they have , it's a problem. Don't get it, never will.
    No one is arguing that players don’t deserve to get their fair share. But do guys like Revis need to go on TV and play the victim, time and time again?
    A little class goes a long way...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Jets trade Revis to Denver for the 28th overall pick

1st round: OG Chance Warmack - Alabama

1st round: QB Mike Glennon - NC State

2nd round: OLB Alex Okafor - Texas

3rd round: RB Stepfan Taylor - Stanford

Gives this team a young foundation on offense to build around and a legit passrusher with a non-stop motor.

If we walked away from the first two days of the draft with that setup, I'd be happier than a pig in sh*t.
    Rex would be dead of a heart attack if the Jets used their first 3 of 4 picks on offensive players.

Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    Rex would be dead of a heart attack if the Jets used their first 3 of 4 picks on offensive players.
    The fat Rex for sure... Iím not so sure about skinny Rex.

Hall Of Fame

You are grossly over-simplifying this situation.

If this was MLB and all the Jets had to do was pay a luxury tax, I would be advocating giving him $20MM per year after he shows he is healthy.

Revis is being an unprofessional doosh by airing out the laundry like that. Taking shots at the GM and owner. It is classless. Fight the fight behind closed doors. Handle business like a man.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I would like the NFL to create their own version of the Bird exemption. Allow a team to go over the cap to keep a player they drafted. Have a certain amount that counts against the cap (maybe the franchise tag amount) and then have the rest be exempt from the cap. Allow them to do this with only one player at a time.
    I would be fine with that, as long as it is just one guy for as long as that guy is in the league. Non transferable until that guy is retired.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    You are grossly over-simplifying this situation.

If this was MLB and all the Jets had to do was pay a luxury tax, I would be advocating giving him $20MM per year after he shows he is healthy.

Revis is being an unprofessional doosh by airing out the laundry like that. Taking shots at the GM and owner. It is classless. Fight the fight behind closed doors. Handle business like a man.

It's actually just that simple from a players position. My health and taking care my family. The owners do what they have to do, and so do I. Period. No matter how you want it done, we're playing hardball.

Hall Of Fame
    When it is convenient for Revis then all of this is about business and it is nothing personal. Then, on the other hand when a different PR spin is needed he pouts like a spoiled brat that he was not informed or that he was not informed quickly enough.

All of this is a manufactured storm in a teacup from team Revis. What a complete crock.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Wrong agains as usual

Sanchez
    Greene
    Slauson

in that order

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    How far could they trade down and still have a realistic chance at Warmack?
    Probably couldn't trade down at all

If he's still there at #9 and the Jets pass, there's a very good chance Tennessee takes him at #10, especially with Munchak in charge.

Quote Originally Posted by JonEJet View Post
    Wrong agains as usual

Sanchez
    Greene
    Slauson

in that order

Fans sympathize with the guy making 1mill a year wanting to maximize his pay, he may only last 5 years in the league and then he is out working on the side of us. I can not have empathy for a guy that has already made 50 mill dollars, enough so that his grandkids are set up in life. And goes to the public in his need for 50mill more.

I worked in unions the first 15 years besides my stint in the navy, and management for the last 15. Every player that plays for 4 years earned enough money to start thier own business where they can keep as much of the profit as they want.

In the last CBA, the guys that needed it the most got it. The vet min will double and has already gone up 100,000 yearly to over 530,000. I want the league to take care of the Dallas Thomas'es not the Tom Brady's who spend 1/2 mill a year on clothes and jewelry.

I would love to see the league allow teams to only have 8 higher paid players at no more than 40% of the cap so that the other 40 players can make 2 mill a year.
    Last edited by patman; 02-18-2013 at 10:09 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    It's actually just that simple from a players position. My health and taking care my family. The owners do what they have to do, and so do I. Period. No matter how you want it done, we're playing hardball.
    Well if he is going to take the "any means necessary" approach then he is a player I don't want anymore. And the real shame is that some teams are watching this and being deterred from trading for him. At some point you have to act like a professional.

I have no issue with him wanting to get paid. He is entitled to seek as much compensation as he wants. The issue I have is how he is handling this publicly.

Banned
    I don't think we can understate the fact that the Jets HATE Revis' agents. Absolutely detest them and more then likely don't trust them one bit since their last negotiation when Rex screamed at his agents and hung up the phone on them. Maybe Woody Johnson just doesn't want to deal with them ever again, that could be a really big reason why the Jets have kept them out of the loop almost as punishment for the last negotiation and also to show Revis that they are in control, not him.

Also, it is my understanding that in the NFL when two teams are trading players and picks that a team acquiring a player can not negotiate a new contract until the trade and the physicals are totally completed. So any team trading with the Jets for Revis will go in with the idea of signing him b/c of their cap space (i.e. TB) and will give them full value for that trade.

There is no way to anticipate that Revis won't re-sign with that new team b/c the team that is getting him can not contact him until the trade is official. Thus no team will have any assurances that he will re-sign with them, but a team with a sh*t load of cap space (Bengals $55.1, Browns $48.9, Broncos $18.5, Colts $46, Jaguars $22.1, Chiefs $16.1, Vikings $16.1, TB $31.3, Titans $19.4) will most likely only enter into trade negotiations for Revis already knowing what it will take to keep him there long term and if they can afford it. And all of those teams I stated above can afford it. Revis won't just head to FA just to say he did it, if one of those teams offer him a 6 yr $100 million deal 4 games into the season he's not going to turn it down b/c he knows that is the top offer he would get in FA as well. So the argument that Revis can squash the Jets chances of getting max value for him in a trade are unfair. With anywhere from 5-8 teams bidding for Revis I believe that the Jets will get a great package of picks from some team with a lot of cap space to use and desperate for his services (i.e. TB, Cle, Jax, Min).

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    I don't know, football trades are so rare, then throw in how often is the traded guy in his last contract year. The point I was making to the poster to whom I responded was that there is a down side to pissing the player off. and I laid out a very plausible scenario where he refused to take a physical for a team that wanted him for a one year rental.

Are you saying that there is no downside to pissing him off?
    There is definitely a down side. My point was all the talk of a player being in control of hs trade absent a no trade clause may be overblown. Just because a player has leverage doesn't mean that there is no chance for a trade.
    As I said earlier, I can't recall any player vetoing a trade without a no trade clause. Chances are, if the jets find a trade partner, it will be up to the jets to pull the trigger, not revis. So says history

Banned
    Wrong agains as usual

Sanchez
    Greene
    Slauson

in that order
    Yep, Rex can sure identify offensive talent.

3 great picks right there.

All Pro
    Wrong agains as usual

Sanchez
    Greene
    Slauson

in that order
    And Edwards, Holmes, Tebow all cost picks

All Pro
    Yep, Rex can sure identify offensive talent.

3 great picks right there.
    You are so obnoxious. What does that have to do with Rex having a heart attack for using picks on offense?

Quote Originally Posted by Cleansweep2013 View Post
    Lott and woodson were better at crushing guys then covering.. ball hawks.. better at safety.. Not saying revis wouldnt be a good safety, he would, but hes best 1 on 1 cover guy maybe ever, his best usage at that skill is def cb. Cro would also be a good safety, has height to cover TEs.
    I think you misunderstood what was being said. He wasn't talking about moving Revis to safety immediately. Leave him at CB while he's still the best in the league, then, once age begins to hit him and he falls off at CB, move him to Safety and get more productive years out of him.

Quote Originally Posted by Choon328 View Post
    I don't think we can understate the fact that the Jets HATE Revis' agents. Absolutely detest them and more then likely don't trust them one bit since their last negotiation when Rex screamed at his agents and hung up the phone on them. Maybe Woody Johnson just doesn't want to deal with them ever again, that could be a really big reason why the Jets have kept them out of the loop almost as punishment for the last negotiation and also to show Revis that they are in control, not him.

Also, it is my understanding that in the NFL when two teams are trading players and picks that a team acquiring a player can not negotiate a new contract until the trade and the physicals are totally completed. So any team trading with the Jets for Revis will go in with the idea of signing him b/c of their cap space (i.e. TB) and will give them full value for that trade.

There is no way to anticipate that Revis won't re-sign with that new team b/c the team that is getting him can not contact him until the trade is official. Thus no team will have any assurances that he will re-sign with them, but a team with a sh*t load of cap space (Bengals $55.1, Browns $48.9, Broncos $18.5, Colts $46, Jaguars $22.1, Chiefs $16.1, Vikings $16.1, TB $31.3, Titans $19.4) will most likely only enter into trade negotiations for Revis already knowing what it will take to keep him there long term and if they can afford it. And all of those teams I stated above can afford it. Revis won't just head to FA just to say he did it, if one of those teams offer him a 6 yr $100 million deal 4 games into the season he's not going to turn it down b/c he knows that is the top offer he would get in FA as well. So the argument that Revis can squash the Jets chances of getting max value for him in a trade are unfair. With anywhere from 5-8 teams bidding for Revis I believe that the Jets will get a great package of picks from some team with a lot of cap space to use and desperate for his services (i.e. TB, Cle, Jax, Min).

I believe one way around what you've talked about is a sign and trade deal. Also, I'm not entirely sure that what you said is correct, re: the receiving team being able to work something out in advance.

The Tavaris Jackson trade in 2012 for example:

The Buffalo Bills and Tarvaris Jackson have reached an agreement on restructuring the final year of his contract, which allowed Buffalo and Seattle to move forward and finalize the trade sending Jackson east, according to a source with knowledge of the situation.

The Bills announced the finalized trade Monday afternoon, which NFL.com and NFL Network's Michael Lombardi and Ian Rapoport reported Sunday.

Jackson was set to make $4 million in 2012, as part of a two-year deal he signed in 2011. He agreed to a pay cut to facilitate the trade. Jackson can make up to $3 million this year as part of the restructured deal.

Jackson started 14 games for the Seahawks last season, but Seattle brought in free agent Matt Flynn and drafted Russell Wilson in the third-round of the 2012 NFL Draft to compete for the starting role.

Coach Pete Carroll named Wilson the Seahawks' starter after Jackson's trade to the Bills had been reported.
    That sounds more like a trade contingent upon restructure versus a sign and trade deal.