Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Revis on NFL Network: "I need answers and I'm not getting any" (Merged Revis)

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    F*ck him. It's OK for him to hold out and/or threaten to hold out every offseason, but if the jets look into trading him they are out if line? He is the one who caused this by being so difficult to deal with.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this interview old? Because quotes like "I was speechless" and whatnot came out forever ago, before Revis and Idzik had actually spoken. After that, Revis reportedly "felt better" about the ordeal and everything was fine. So, if these other quotes are from around the same time, then there's no story here.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kmsurfs2000 View Post
    only way they should even consider trading him is if they get two first rounders for him-hall of fame caliber player on a gargage team with ZERO playmakers or stars besides him

lol at anybody calling him mevis-NFL players need to be as selfish as possible and get paid when they are in their prime-the second a player's skills drop off or they get hurt the team drops him without giving it a second thought-jets have a history of cutting guys and not honoring contracts as do every other team in the league

players and top ones get and should get every penny they can-they see the owners getting super rich and even the commish pulling in 30 million a year
    No one in their right damn mind is giving up multiple 1st round picks for a CB coming off ACL surgery.

Why people even keep bringing up these "pie in the sky" trade scenarios, I have no clue.

I'd gladly take a late 1st for Revis and move on.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Revis wants answers? Now he knows how the Jets felt while he and his uncle played their bs hold out crap. Screw revis the guy will never be happy. Trade him and have the money to pay 2,3, maybe 4 good team players instead of 1 me player. Mevis

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    as others have said, if his interview was in fact irritated and the quotes not taken out of context we need to trade him, period. I doubt the Jets will short change him but if he is going to publicly whine about it when he's supposedly asking to re-define the pay scale he can hit the road.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this interview old? Because quotes like "I was speechless" and whatnot came out forever ago, before Revis and Idzik had actually spoken. After that, Revis reportedly "felt better" about the ordeal and everything was fine. So, if these other quotes are from around the same time, then there's no story here.
    I thought that initially too. Either Mehta is trying to spin something up, or Revis is.

Either way someone is wrong. The silence of the front office is refreshing.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    The Jets didn't feel the need to call Revis because they are trading his ass.

Most of us know the deal here. In a perfect world we don't want to lose our best player. But CB's don't win championships and this team is far away from truly competing. No need to pay a CB 100 million when you don't have what it takes to truly win. If the Jets were a legit contender today, Revis would be going nowhere. Timing is the real issue here. Just like it was with Peppers.

We all know trading Revis is the smart thing to do to begin this rebuild and get this team going in the right direction. Revis was getting traded injury or not. That being said, why would the Jets call Revis when they know he's getting shipped out the door soon anyways. No need to smooth things over with the best player when the front office knows he's a goner.

Sucks he's gone but its the right thing to do right now.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gastineau99 View Post
    F*ck him. It's OK for him to hold out and/or threaten to hold out every offseason, but if the jets look into trading him they are out if line? He is the one who caused this by being so difficult to deal with.
    +1000

The only thing the NY Jets owe Revis is a signature on the bottom line of his paycheck every week as negotiated. That is it.

Any idiot with half a brain KNEW that THIS offseason the NY Jets had to determine what to do with Darrelle Revis, injury or not, contract extension or trade...because if he plays out his deal next season, the NY Jets have absolutely NO leverage in resigning him and they cannot franchise tag him...so they risk losing him for nothing.

So why is Revis supposedly 'surprised' to hear that the NY Jets were exploring all their options? If Revis is really 'surprised' (and IMO he's not...he's just faking outrage to try and get the Jets to move him now for the opportunity to get a new contract a year early) then he is truly a moron.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Revis has a right to be annoyed though he should probably shut up.

In any case I don't get why the team is thinking of trading Revis. The franchise tag exists for exactly this reason. You don't have to trade away your best player because he is a FA in a year. Trading Revis is just the next move of a team with no vision for how to build a winner.

EDIT: Uhhhhh let's just forget I posted this...
    Last edited by halfsharkalligatorhalfman; 02-19-2013 at 04:57 PM.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by halfsharkalligatorhalfman View Post

In any case I don't get why the team is thinking of trading Revis. The franchise tag exists for exactly this reason. You don't have to trade away your best player because he is a FA in a year. Trading Revis is just the next move of a team with no vision for how to build a winner.
    Seriously? Where you been? The Jets can't franchise Revis.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoop24 View Post
    Welp looks like we have no choice but to trade him now. This all could of been avoided had the jets just come out and nipped the BS from the start.

Regardless of what plan is for Revis it should of stayed in house.
    Oh please.

His disgust is just a PR reason for what he was going to do anyway.

This is his way of trying to not look like the greedy bad guy.

His reference to how they "want to do business" is a joke coming from a guy who has held out twice already.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gastineau99 View Post

Spot on.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LockeJET View Post
    Seriously? Where you been? The Jets can't franchise Revis.
    You were too nice with that response.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by halfsharkalligatorhalfman View Post

That's the problem here. The Jets are not permitted to use the tag on Revis. They negotiated that with his last contract in return for an automatic 3 yr extension to his contract if he tries to hold out during the contract. The game of chicken here involves Revis taking a chance that he underperforms or gets injured this year vs. him having a comeback year and leaving the Jets with nothing to show for it except a late 3rd round compensatory pick. Not surprised Revis is pushing the issue publicly right now. It's in his interest to push the Jets to trade him or pay him before he has to prove it on the field. The Jets, on the other hand, have two choices: make the choice to yield to trade or pay within a week of the business year (when he is due a $1 million roster bonus), or pay that bonus and see what he's got until the trade deadline, when they can still move him or pay him then. Unless they are blown away by a trade offer now (maybe) or Revis caves a bit for a reasonable price (no way), then their best option is to wait til the trading deadline.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not surprising at all the reaction in this thread, even though the context of these quotes is uncertain.

People complain all the time of the about the media making stories out of nothing, but are ready to jump all over the quotes before seeing the entire interview.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    to all the "i'm done with revis" posters... you guys will never understand football beyond what you see when you press *click* on your remote.

It's ignorant on Everest levels.

I'm not one of those "I'm done with Revis" posters but I do take exception to some of your ignorant and misguided attempt to knock those who are not giving a rat's backside if he stays or goes.

Revis has ALWAYS held out, the Jets frontloaded him a lot of $$$ to make him happy and with the pressing needs the team has on the offensive side of the ball, coupled with his injury and the defense actually playing very well in spite of his absence ( thanks to Cromartie) we don't know how he's going to be post surgery and his position by default leaves him susceptible to reinjuring it because he plays a position that dictates him to react at a moments notice to the receiver he is covering thus having the possibility of him reinjuring himself yet again.

The Jets are bogged down with contracts and while it's sexy to have a shutdown corner, he isn't doing anything that impactful on D that a few offense players couldn't given his possibly salary to those we could sign by trading him.

Granted I don't have as much invested in the team financially or emotional as others here and while I want them to do good week to week and win , I don't let a win or loss change my daily activities.

I would like to add that really good and sound football teams make decisions that will be the best for the team when it pertains to star players asking for too much and a case in point is the Pats who have made those types of decisions all the time and yet today did it AGAIN and told Wes Welker that they aren't going to pay him and if you ask me who's had a bigger impact on their respective teams be it Revis with the Jets or Welker with the Pats? I'd say Welker has had a bigger impact in terms of wins and losses. No 1 guy is bigger then the team regardless.
    Last edited by Inspector Oofus; 02-18-2013 at 05:01 PM.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Conor Orr ‏@ConorTOrr
    Revis says "I need answers and I'm not getting any" tonight in an interview with @nflnetwork #nyj #jets

Revis on why he was upset: "Just the fact that that was put out there instead of contacting your best player on the team" via @nflnetwork
    Typical NFL "Prima donna"

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    You don't pay a cornerback franchise QB money, especially one who will be over 30 by the time the team becomes a contender. In this sport you have a salary cap so you have to allocate money responsibly.

By the way, after Revis gets his next huge 5 year contract will he be threatening another hold out in the second year?
    Last edited by intelligentjetsfan; 02-18-2013 at 05:05 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    This move is going to backfire on him in terms of public support, unless he responds quickly.

His prior history counters his attempt to garner sympathy.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    Old quotes, as others have said there's no story here. That said, Izdik should start negotiations with Revis' agents as soon as possible. With him coming back from an injury this is an opportunity to lock him up at a lesser cost than what he'll demand after the season. Would be a great first move for the new GM.