Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Visiting NYC with my 15 year old son

You can 100 people for the best reasonably priced italian place in NYC and get 100 reasonable answers.

I like Johns of 12th Street for standard italian and Lombardis for pizza.

I'd reocommend DimSum for chinese at Golden Unicorn in chinatown, but you A) Have to be adventurous and B) eat stuff you have no idea what it is...
    Assuming you guys still live in NYC, I wouldn't bother with Mexican food, it won't be better than in SD.

I would also recommend going to food trucks for lunch one day or going to Chelsea Market (basically a food court with nothing but fresh ingredients, it's closed right at the moment, but if you like lobster, the Lobster Place is a great place to go and should be re-opened by April)

If the Knicks are too expensive, or not in town, I'd recommend going to see the Nets at Barclays Center, it's a really cool stadium and cheaper to see a game, the atmosphere isn't quite MSG, but it's good.

Normally, I'd say the Bronx Zoo, but if you live in SD, I don't think it's anything more impressive than SD Zoo.

Many Many thanks for all the great recommendations, I grew up in the Bronx, graduated from Hunter College and left NYC in 1978. Have been living on the left coast since. Been a Jets fan since they were the Titans. 10 coupons from Sealtest milk cartons got free admission at the Polo Grounds. When they became the Jets my dad would take me to Peakskill to watch them train. It was great and you could mingle with the team, got everyone's autograph except Matt Snell. He wouldn't give his autograph to anyone. Never post but visit this site regularly.

Arturo's coal oven style pizza located on Houston/Thompson is amazing. Never really slammed because it's a neighborhood place, not a touristy one. Sit down place with live jazz music in the background on weekend nights. Reasonably priced for two. Did I mention extremely delicious too?

Veteran
    North Shore of Long Island. East Setauket
    Quote Originally Posted by sandiegojet View Post
    Gentlemen, need some help on restaurants in Manhattan, little Italy, Chinatown, Delis, etc. please advise, thanks in advance
    Honestly if you are just hanging out around certain areas i would stay away from Brand name places on top of having extraordinary prices they aren't that good. the best places are tiny places with seasonal specialties as far as food...DO NOT EAT AT ANYWHERE WITH A CHALKBOARD in FRONT....Deff a tourist trap and then just ask someone walking around that live locally it might take 2 or 3 people but as far as food they will not steer you wrong. As far as places to see the Bodies exhibit is awesome in south street Sea port and or the museums are great as well...but just hanging around and finding little places is the fun of the city... Have fun

PS anywhere down in chinatown that makes homemade noodles which there are plenty just ask around is the way to goo and the duck is amazing at most places with them hanging in the window..

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by sandiegojet View Post
    Gentlemen, need some help on restaurants in Manhattan, little Italy, Chinatown, Delis, etc. please advise, thanks in advance
    Hill Country BBQ highly recommended:

http://www.hillcountryny.com/about-us.ny

The kid is 15 for cripesakes. Get him a fake ID and take him here:

http://www.flashdancersnyc.com/

SAR I

-Gotta get a slice of Basile's artichoke pizza on MacDougal and Bleeker (or the second location of 14th street between 1st and 2nd).

-If you find yourself on MacDougal, hop into the Kati Roll company and pick up a couple wraps.

-Lastly, still of MacDougal, seek out Mamoun's falefel...their falefel sandwiches and platters are incredible.

-Late night, after your broadway show, make sure you get yourself down to 53rd and 6th ave for some Arabic inspired chicken/lamb and rice street food. The white sauce (hold the jokes) is incredible, and one drop of the red sauce and you'll be poppin Tums for weeks. Awesome stuff.

All of the places listed so far in the thread are awesome, but they seem more appropriate for an older, more experienced crowd. You'll enjoy them, and your son may have some fun as well, but the four places I listed are loved by kids his age, and are places that I, and most people I knew my age, lived on throughout college. They may not have the city's best falefel or best pizza according to "true new yorkers", but they have the type of late night scene your kid will love.

FYI- none of the four places offer adequate seating, and all four are best as cheap late-night food (53rd and 6th platters is only late night), or cheap lunch food (MacDougal is a hoot between 1-3am, but if just going for food, lunch time works just as well).

Have a blast!
    Last edited by greenwichjetfan; 02-19-2013 at 09:37 AM.

SanDiegoJet, just an FYI in case you haven't already, you'll need to make a reservation for Peter Luger's well in advance, such as 1.5-2 months if you want to get your preferred time. They do have some walk ins on a non guaranteed basis but the waiting area is a zoo.

Enjoy the city.

If you enjoy hockey and have a little bit of fun money to spend, the Rangers play the Penguins at the Garden on April 3rd. That'll make for a good time.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Yankees and Mets are both home first week of April if you want to take in a ball game. Always a good father son outing.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

just wing it bro. Everything NY is great. U can walk into a hole in the wall pizza place with People from another country making them and it is STILL great compared to SD. Take your son on a tourist site seeing bus, he will love it. Broadway is awesome if there is a show he is interested. Even if you dont do a show, walk the street. So much to do, so little time. ENJOY WHATEVER YOU DECIDE.

if you are in the area...go with the food cart on 53rd and 6th...it's awesome!

http://www.yelp.com/biz/53rd-and-6th...-cart-new-york

Here are a couple other suggestions:

-Walk into Momofuku Noodle Bar on 1st Ave (btw 11th and 12th). Eating at the David Chang restaurant that started the empire is as good of a NYC-thing as you can do, food-wise. Go early evening. Fun and casual.

-Parm in Little Italy. This is the offshoot of Torrisi's Italian Specialties that you can actually get a table at. It is a good representation of authentic casual Italian and also modern NYC italian cuisine

-John's on 12th Street - I second that recommendation. This is old-school NYC Italian cuisine.

-Artichoke Pizza. Second that too. The one on the west side (10th Ave and 17th street) is the biggest and easiest to sit down at. The one on MacDougal is pretty easy too. Try the artichoke slice and the sicilian.

-Baohaus on 2nd Ave & 14th St. They ripped off the Momofuku pork buns and went nuts. Very casual and not a huge eating area in the back, so maybe you stop in here for lunch if you're in the area. But the pork bun craze is also very NYC.

-Meatball Shop. There's one all the way down on Stanton and Allen (the original) and another on Greenwich Ave between 7th Ave and 11th St. Kicked off the NYC (and nationwide) meatball dining phenomenon.

-In terms of burgers, there are a million options. It's a little too cold to eat Shake Shack outside, but Corner Bistro is an old standby (cash only). Burger Joint (hidden inside the Parker Meridian) is awesome too.

-If you don't feel like trekking over to Brooklyn to do Peter Luger's, try and work a reservation at Minetta Tavern.

This is a follow up if you are in the East Village. The best Italian pastry shop in the city (again, ask 100 people, and you'll get 10 opinions) is on the corner of 11th St and 1st Ave. Veniero's.

Practice Squad
    Agree w/ most, Little Italy is seriously overrated and I think you could just go to the Little Italy on Arthur Ave and spend less and go to the Bronx Zoo before or afterward. Zoo is free on Wednesday, I believe.

Can anyone tell me the name of the place in Bensonhurst that makes upside down pizza? Easily the best pizza I've ever tasted.

Take him to Smith & Wolensky's on 3rd and 49th for a steak or burger. Or even Shake Shack would be good. Check out the Highline, Intrepid, and Central Park.
    Last edited by rlucas4137; 02-19-2013 at 05:23 PM.

Only two places come to mind ...

Peter Luger's (Best Steak in N Hemisphere)

or

Keen's Chophouse (Awesome Mutton and Steak)

Both have quite a history ... keen's is older i think.

if your looking for a fun restaurant aimed at teens ...

Ninja and Tao come to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Kotch View Post
    Here are a couple other suggestions:

-Walk into Momofuku Noodle Bar on 1st Ave (btw 11th and 12th). Eating at the David Chang restaurant that started the empire is as good of a NYC-thing as you can do, food-wise. Go early evening. Fun and casual.

-Parm in Little Italy. This is the offshoot of Torrisi's Italian Specialties that you can actually get a table at. It is a good representation of authentic casual Italian and also modern NYC italian cuisine

-John's on 12th Street - I second that recommendation. This is old-school NYC Italian cuisine.

-Artichoke Pizza. Second that too. The one on the west side (10th Ave and 17th street) is the biggest and easiest to sit down at. The one on MacDougal is pretty easy too. Try the artichoke slice and the sicilian.

-Baohaus on 2nd Ave & 14th St. They ripped off the Momofuku pork buns and went nuts. Very casual and not a huge eating area in the back, so maybe you stop in here for lunch if you're in the area. But the pork bun craze is also very NYC.

-Meatball Shop. There's one all the way down on Stanton and Allen (the original) and another on Greenwich Ave between 7th Ave and 11th St. Kicked off the NYC (and nationwide) meatball dining phenomenon.

-In terms of burgers, there are a million options. It's a little too cold to eat Shake Shack outside, but Corner Bistro is an old standby (cash only). Burger Joint (hidden inside the Parker Meridian) is awesome too.

-If you don't feel like trekking over to Brooklyn to do Peter Luger's, try and work a reservation at Minetta Tavern.
    I'll definitely endorse the bolded choices.

As for Artichoke, I prefer the sister shop next to it (the 14th b/t 1st/2nd Ave) -- Chubby Mary's. Take out only. All old school Italian sandwiches. Owned by the people from Artichoke. Reasonably priced, enormous, and quite tasty. The eggplant parm is a dream.

All League
    Being from Dallas, I love the steak at Del Frisco's.

For Pizza, look for the coal fired places. Avoid all the Ray's Pizza places.

For Sushi, I loved the omakases experience. They tell you what you are going to have. Sansabune on the UES has the sushi nazi, but he was great.

Quote Originally Posted by Digetydog View Post
    Being from Dallas, I love the steak at Del Frisco's.

For Pizza, look for the coal fired places. Avoid all the Ray's Pizza places.

For Sushi, I loved the omakases experience. They tell you what you are going to have. Sansabune on the UES has the sushi nazi, but he was great.
    Del Frisco's does have an great steak ... but the environment is very blah for a 15 year old. Lots of mid-town droll suits. I think Lugers or Keens would be better and more fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Rexipus Rex View Post
    I'll definitely endorse the bolded choices.

As for Artichoke, I prefer the sister shop next to it (the 14th b/t 1st/2nd Ave) -- Chubby Mary's. Take out only. All old school Italian sandwiches. Owned by the people from Artichoke. Reasonably priced, enormous, and quite tasty. The eggplant parm is a dream.
    This place is a newer amazing italian down in Soho right at the tip of little italy.

http://www.osteriamorini.com/

Oesteria Morini ... awesome fresh pasta and a decent steak.

90% of the restaurants in Little Italy are worth going to. My personal faves are La Mela and back in the day was Umbertos.

Chinatown - don't eat anything there. Cool place to visit and the bakeries are ok for a nosh but I wouldn't go anywhere near the filthy restaurants with food that was bought from a wholesaler in the 80's.

Pizza - you can pick up a rock and hit a good pizzeria in Queens, Brooklyn and most of Manhattan.

Dogs - Katz's Deli

Try to hit up City Hall Bakery (Carlos' Bakery from Cake Boss) in Hoboken. That and other spots in Hoboken (baseball field where they invented baseball) are worth the ride on the Path.