Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Visiting NYC with my 15 year old son

Visiting NYC with my 15 year old son

Gentlemen, need some help on restaurants in Manhattan, little Italy, Chinatown, Delis, etc. please advise, thanks in advance

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by sandiegojet View Post
    Gentlemen, need some help on restaurants in Manhattan, little Italy, Chinatown, Delis, etc. please advise, thanks in advance
    OMG not today I hope, it's brutally cold.

spring break

Veteran
    That place is overrated.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Hall Of Fame
    Can we swap places? I'm looking to get out and I hear SD is lovely.

If I were bringing my son to NY for the first time I would go to Peter Luger or Wolfgang's and bond over a nice porterhouse.

All Pro
    Here is a list of places to visit eat and shop

http://www.visit5thavenue.com/nike/

How about Niketown or the Jets shop? Will you be in Manhattan for the draft? (I assume it will be in Radio City Music Hall again, did not check).

Apple Store?

No idea if this would appeal to a 15 yo boy but Blue Man Group is considered 'cool'
    http://www.blueman.com/tickets/new-york/

But stay away from Guy Fieri's new Times Square restaurant it is supposed to be horrible.

http://www.guysamerican.com/

Maybe this will get you started anyway
    Last edited by Vinny Testaverde's Niece; 02-18-2013 at 01:49 PM.

Very provencial, every other restaurant is mexican. weathers great, Mexico is not safe to visit, sea world, legoland, are a bore.

Veteran
    Little Italy, Anthony's

It goes without saying that you must go to the hole and pay your respects.

Quote Originally Posted by sandiegojet View Post
    Little Italy just for tourists, you can do better food wise in other places...you want the best Pizza in the world? NY's got it, but you have to go to Brooklyn...DaVinci's on 18th Avenue off 66th Street...Squares

Chinatown, you can also do better, try Uptown...Chef Ho's 89th & 2nd..
    While you're Uptown grab the best Hot Dog you'll ever have...Papaya King..86th and 3rd.

Deli...no place better than the 2nd Avenue Deli...at Turdy, Thurd and Thurd (33rd Street off 3rd Ave).

Feel free not to take my advice...you'll be sorry.

Jets Insider VIP
    checking in from Vermont -- almost froze to death on the slopes

saw the post from Vinny's niece about America restaurant.... before you make that trip downtown, sandiego jet

that place has been closed for at least 3-5 years

as it says in the website

This venue is closed.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF View Post
    Little Italy just for tourists, you can do better food wise in other places...you want the best Pizza in the world? NY's got it, but you have to go to Brooklyn...DaVinci's on 18th Avenue off 66th Street...Squares

While you're Uptown grab the best Hot Dog you'll ever have...Papaya King..86th and 3rd.

Deli...no place better than the 2nd Avenue Deli...at Turdy, Thurd and Thurd (33rd Street off 3rd Ave).

I agree with Joewillie, it is very touresty, but I think that is what you are there for, to say you where there. If you want true homestyle italian cooking than again, as Joewillie states, you have to go accross the bridge into Brooklyn. I can name a dozen hole in the walls that blow Little Italy away, but if you are enjoying the experiance you can't go wrong with Anthony's, as long as it is still there, has been a few years.

Deep into Chinatown and flushing has the best Chinese food: Golden Unicorn, Joe's Shanghai
    Delis... I would go with Katz's in the LES, but that's just me.
    In general there's food for any taste.

But for everything else, you need to give a little more information: What does he like? shows (Stomp, Blue Man Group), museums (Arts: Met, Whitney, MOMA History Natural Museum, sports: , or just walking around: Highline Park, Greenwich Village, Central Park, Brooklyn Brdige

For food recs, in addition to the knowledgeable folks here, try this site. When I was traveling all over the country on business, I found it the most valuable and far better than Zagat, TripAdvisor, or God forbid, Yelp.

For Manhattan: http://chowhound.chow.com/boards/18
    Outer Boroughs: http://chowhound.chow.com/boards/19

If you find yourself in the lower part of Manhattan...try Ninja....it's good food and a good time.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Can you give us an idea of what you're looking to do and where you'll be? In addition to great food, are you looking for value, luxury, interesting experience, etc?

Arriving April 1 leaving April 6 staying at the Hotel Metro in Manhattan. Have the days planned out, Museums, Empire state bldg, shows at night. Can't really go to see music he's to young, mostly places to eat. Definately going to Peter Lugars. He likes italian, chinese, likes hamburgers, what about PJ Clarks ?

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by isired View Post
    Can you give us an idea of what you're looking to do and where you'll be? In addition to great food, are you looking for value, luxury, interesting experience, etc?
    You trying to send him to the village? and btw, I'd like to know where the value section is myself.

You need to see a broadway show, and a couple of museums the trade center, and the statue(but that's in Jersey) You should go to the Garden and watch the Rangers lose, and Yankee Stadium to watch them win. Lugar's you already know. Try Sal and Carmine's for pizza on Brodway, and 101st. It's a dive, but it's the best I've had next to Maffie's which is closed. Anyone know why they closed? Other than that I don't know what you'll do with a 15 year old. All the things that make NYC are kind of a little too interesting.

I agree, Little Italy IS just for tourists. You should go there for dessert, pastry and cappuccino. There is a small gelateria around Spring St. and Mulberry that is great - the owners are young and from Italy. For pizza, not close to the best in the world - someone must not have been to Italy and New Haven, for that matter. Bar Piti is on the corner of 6th and Bleecker. It's a casual restaurant and the owner is from Florence, Italy. Excellent and not overpriced. Just my two cents...

If you want authentic, classic NYC fare, nothing beats this place:

https://plus.google.com/111703440703...58/about?hl=en