Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Pace, Eric Smith, Jason Smith, Josh Baker cut

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    They shouldn't even get to a cap figure at all with Scott. He should be cut because he doesn't have the athletic ability to play anymore. There should be no reneging with him at all.
    Maybe Scott agreed to undergo Ray Lewis' antler treatment.

All League
    He will be cut. No doubt. And he won't be back under any circumstances.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by BrowningNagle View Post
    yes they are barely under the cap....with not many more easy big $ cuts besides Scott. Plus they also need many starters/upgrades - if they can find a way to keep Scott at or below his dead $ number rather than have to replace him even with a vet min $. No one will sign Scott to more than the vet min...that is any team that has any game film of 2012.
    Buffalo could easily give Scott 3 million.

Plus, Scotts dead money is not money owed to him, it is "cap money". Anything paid to Scott this year will be added to that dead money number for his cap charge for this year.

Jets Insider VIP
    I dont get why we didn't wait to see how Baker would respond to surgery...

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Astoria View Post
    But but...ESPN told me we were in cap ROTFLAMO and couldn't clear significant space without cutting integral players. These are hardly integral players. What gives?
    Not only that, but the Jets have the worst cap situation in the league?

WHat gives?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JonEJet View Post
    Not only that, but the Jets have the worst cap situation in the league?

WHat gives?
    Look at the good news, the Jets just found 1/4 of the money Revis is looking for.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    Look at the good news, the Jets just found 1/4 of the money Revis is looking for.
    As long as Revis signs for less than Brady, he'll be a bargain

Always better to pay a player in his prime, rather than a guy on his downside of his career

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JonEJet View Post
    As long as Revis signs for less than Brady, he'll be a bargain
    Only dumb teams would even think about paying a CB close to the same amount of an elite QB.

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Buffalo could easily give Scott 3 million.

Plus, Scotts dead money is not money owed to him, it is "cap money". Anything paid to Scott this year will be added to that dead money number for his cap charge for this year.
    That's not true. Any deal would be a rework of the current contract. $5M/2 Years w/ $1M signing bonus would be $3M against the cap this year and 500k next year, if cut. You wouldn't add to current deal. That's why it would be reworked.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    Only dumb teams would even think about paying a CB close to the same amount of an elite QB.
    Who is the elite QB you speak of?

Not the guy on the downward spiral of a solid yet unspectacular career?

Do they plan on redoing David Harris' contract ?? $13 Million a year for a slow inside LB ?? I know a lot of people love him but his game has not improved since he signed his new contract.

Quote Originally Posted by jetfanbc77 View Post
    Do they plan on redoing David Harris' contract ?? $13 Million a year for a slow inside LB ?? I know a lot of people love him but his game has not improved since he signed his new contract.
    I'm sure they would love to, but any deal they would make would cost more in 2014 and beyond. None of these players will make deals that will cost them money.

Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    I don't totally that he does nothing. He's certainly not a starter anymore. But he will count for $1.5M against the cap this season, if the Jets sign him for a cheap enough deal, they may get him for the same price and not also have to pay $400,000 (or whatever the league minimum is) for an end of the bench guy. Anything less than $1.9M for Scott is worth it for 2013, even if the Jets have to guarantee a nominal cost like $500K for 2014.

Like you said, they can always cut him if they can't find a mutually agreeable deal.
    This

He provides a more than capable fallback option if we don't find a starter in the draft,FA or roster cuts.At the right price he can still contribute.Would prefer to find an alternative but there are other positions to prioritize.

I think Scott is the poster boy for the anti-RR brigade and gets the lazy 'he sucks' treatment a little too much.Not just ditching him to curry favour with the fans is a pragmatic move at this stage....if a better option emerges then all well and good.

Another thread has this, but the Jets just announced that Bart Scott was released too.

Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    Another thread has this, but the Jets just announced that Bart Scott was released too.
    Then why include it here? Two demerits.

Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    Then why include it here? Two demerits.
    Because this was the original thread. I suggest a merge.

Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    Because this was the original thread. I suggest a merge.
    Just effing around. I'm just ecstatic that all those guys are gone.

Quote Originally Posted by jetfanbc77 View Post
    I didn't realize that Harris only has one year left on his deal. He's $7M against the cap next year, and $2M if they cut him. Maybe they can restructure, but any restructuring guarantees he's on the roster next season. I have no concept of what kind of restructuring he would want. This is a massive year for David Harris, if he is as slow as last season, he's a 30 year old FA coming off back to back mediocre years. If he's great, he's got a lot of leverage, but the Jets have him locked into a $7M deal (like Revis).

Quote Originally Posted by Astoria View Post
    But but...ESPN told me we were in cap ROTFLAMO and couldn't clear significant space without cutting integral players. These are hardly integral players. What gives?
    2 of the players cut were starters, they were overpaid starters but they started for a reason. Your acting as if they cut two lbs that never seen any time. How many intergral players could the jets cut, when 1/2 the team are free agents already?

While your ROTFLAMO please stop and find the replacement players for the for all the players that will be lost. All today's action did was free up enoogh money to sign your 7 draft picks and not a dollar to sign any FA.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    I dont get why we didn't wait to see how Baker would respond to surgery...
    He had major knee injury problems in college. I suspect this last injury was pretty bad and his career may be over. Too bad. He was a good UDFA who showed promise when given a chance. Looked like a poor man's Chris Cooley