Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Pace, Eric Smith, Jason Smith, Josh Baker cut

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    I am not a jet lover, just not a jet hater. Honest reasons or just best possible scenarios?

1. Moningwhig > Sparono
    2. Holmes may come back early from Liz Franc
    3. Revis is back
    4. Hill takes a 2nd year jump
    5. Howard takes a 2nd year jump (as starter)
    6 Coples- see above

That is it, I can't at this time,
    You are by far the best non Jet fan poster this site has. There is nothing troll like about what you post. I enjoy your perspective on things.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

So you see Davis getting all the snaps next year? I seen him as more of a nickle guy on passing downs. At 235lbs I don't see him being in there on those "designated" running downs.
    Without getting too deep into this discussion (I'm not sure we've seen enough of Davis to know how he'll do this year), just because a guy was 235 lbs at the Combine, doesn't mean he's still at that weight.

It isn't too outlandish to think he could be weighing 245 at the start of the season - especially after his first full year of an off season NFL weight program.

I don't know if D. Davis will be the no-doubter MLB of the Jets for the next 10 years. But, I don't think his weight will be the determining factor in whether he succeeds or not. Especially considering the movement towards lighter, more nimble LBs in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    You are by far the best non Jet fan poster this site has. There is nothing troll like about what you post. I enjoy your perspective on things.
    Thanks, that was nice of you to say. I try to go overboard on my thought process as i want to be taken seriously. It is just a kind of prejudice
    that I have to put up with if i want to post on this site.

Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Without getting too deep into this discussion (I'm not sure we've seen enough of Davis to know how he'll do this year), just because a guy was 235 lbs at the Combine, doesn't mean he's still at that weight.

It isn't too outlandish to think he could be weighing 245 at the start of the season - especially after his first full year of an off season NFL weight program.

I don't know if D. Davis will be the no-doubter MLB of the Jets for the next 10 years. But, I don't think his weight will be the determining factor in whether he succeeds or not. Especially considering the movement towards lighter, more nimble LBs in the league.
    Agreed, and i asked if anyone seen him at camp because on tv it is hard to tell if one LB is bigger than the other as they all use different style pads.

Just based on what I believe, is that rookie LB are more likely to be used in the running game than in the passing game, as the coverages are certainly less complex. I know jet fans believe that Rex was married to his vets, but if he thought that Davis would be effective in the running game he would have played him more than he did. He trusted him to do the "hard" part - pass d, but not as much in the run game. Thomas played for the fins at 220 for ten years, i know that size is not the be all and end all.

Agreed, and i asked if anyone seen him at camp because on tv it is hard to tell if one LB is bigger than the other as they all use different style pads.

Just based on what I believe, is that rookie LB are more likely to be used in the running game than in the passing game, as the coverages are certainly less complex. I know jet fans believe that Rex was married to his vets, but if he thought that Davis would be effective in the running game he would have played him more than he did. He trusted him to do the "hard" part - pass d, but not as much in the run game. Thomas played for the fins at 220 for ten years, i know that size is not the be all and end all.
    It takes Rex a while to trust certain players on certain downs. It has little to do with their talent level or ability but more to do with their grasp of his defense and where to be in certain situations.

Coples showed amazing talent/skill last year and it took Rex a while to trust him on every down. Davis was significantly more raw so i am not surprised that Rex didn't trust Davis on "running" downs.

Edit to add: Playing on passing downs can me simpler in that you tell Davis to go out and cover TE X. On a running down, he has significantly more assignments (run and pass).
    Last edited by revischrist; 02-20-2013 at 12:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    It takes Rex a while to trust certain players on certain downs. It has little to do with their talent level or ability but more to do with their grasp of his defense and where to be in certain situations.

Coples showed amazing talent/skill last year and it took Rex a while to trust him on every down. Davis was significantly more raw so i am not surprised that Rex didn't trust Davis on "running" downs.

Edit to add: Playing on passing downs can me simpler in that you tell Davis to go out and cover TE X. On a running down, he has significantly more assignments (run and pass).
    I'm just saying that is not normally the case in the nfl, rookies on D don't play as much on 3rd down where the stakes are higher.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by BleedGreen314 View Post
    So by that logic, we should continue to overpay guys just because the fill the role, and not go out and attempt to get better talent? So basically even though they fired Tannenbaum for doing just that, you're saying they should continue the practice anyway. got it.
    Actually, I don't have a clue to what you're saying.

More to the point, you don't have a clue what I said because your post to my post below makes no sense on any level. You have the wrong guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    Hey we could do like every pat troll here and just jump for joy and claim that the Jets just got younger, faster and better every time a veteran player is dropped.
    Last edited by Jet Nut; 02-20-2013 at 01:49 PM.

I am not a jet lover, just not a jet hater. Honest reasons or just best possible scenarios?

1. Moningwhig > Sparono
    2. Holmes may come back early from Liz Franc
    3. Revis is back
    4. Hill takes a 2nd year jump
    5. Howard takes a 2nd year jump (as starter)
    6 Coples- see above

That is it, I can't at this time,
    1)-I hope so and all indications are that should be the case
    2)-Not a fan of Holmes at all but yes his return should be a bonus.
    3)-Not so sure about this one.although our pass D was ranked pretty highly I still think it can be improved(pass rush)but it was pretty good without Revis. If he's back then no doubt it should still be good but if he's not back then that means he's been traded which likely helps elsewhere.This year showed there can be life after DR
    4)-Hope so and pretty crucial.I hope Braylon is back too which should help his development(tbh I think it was a mistake not bringing BE Back last year for this reason)
    5)-Good point and with at least one guard position likely open to a new starter this has to happen
    6)-If he's healthy and starts all 16 and makes the 2nd year jump like Wilkerson did he could be a true difference maker.

I'd also add....

McKnight...has been criminally misused on offence the last 3 years.If Mornhinweg believes in him and utilises him properly perhaps he finally breaks out like we saw glimpses of against Buffalo in the 2010 season finale.