Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Pace, Eric Smith, Jason Smith, Josh Baker cut

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Choon328 View Post
    I said that you would only have to replace Pace with anything other then a JAG b/c Scott's replacement is already on the team (D. Davis). The only person the Jets would have to replace with a starting caliber player not already on the team is Pace. Scott's replacement is on the team. The Smith's and Baker can be replaced by vet minimum players. That was my point. I was saying that we could replace them with JAG's not that the players we released were JAG's. Got it?
    So you see Davis getting all the snaps next year? I seen him as more of a nickle guy on passing downs. At 235lbs I don't see him being in there on those "designated" running downs.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    New York Jets ‏@nyjets
    Jets announce 3 veterans have been released--LB Calvin Pace, S Eric Smith, T Jason Smith--and TE Josh Baker has been waived.
    We can only pray Eric Smith will never appear in a Jets uniform again. As one of "Rex's guys" I could see them signing him back for the vet minimum and him hopelessly chasing down another WR for a long TD (again) during the season

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    In an effort to get themselves underneath an encumbering salary cap situation, the Jets parted ways with veteran linebacker Bart Scott, safety Eric Smith, outside linebacker Calvin Pace and tackle Jason Smith today, the team announced.

Tight end Josh Baker, who spent the season on injured reserve, was also waived.

The move should provide the team roughly $31 million in salary cap relief and place them a few million below the cap limit for next year, which, although still undetermined, will sit around $121 million. The team also has $3.4 million in additional cap space that carries over from 2012.

Each transaction was expected, likely part of the “detailed” plan laid out by previous general manager Mike Tannenbaum, one that he mentioned several times after his dismissal in December.

All of the players released, Eric Smith ($3 million), Scott ($7.15 million), Pace ($8.56 million) and Jason Smith ($12,000,000) carried gaudy numbers against the cap in 2013 with little to no penalty for being cut. Eric Smith, Scott and Pace were also near, or over the age of 30.

Those three, staples of Rex Ryan’s first four years as head coach of the Jets, made a combined 167 starts for the team.

“Every one of these players was a major contributor to our football team,” said Ryan in a statement. “I was very impressed with Jason this past season while Bart, Calvin and Eric have been an instrumental part of our defense for the past four years. Josh came in as an undrafted free agent and earned a spot on our roster. They have the work ethic and attitude that you look for in players and they will always be New York Jets. It was an honor to coach each of these men. They are tremendous people as well as outstanding football players.”

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's crazy how some people take every so called "expert" word for it when they talk about the NFL on ESPN or the NFL network. John Clayton actually just said that the Jets released 3 starters from last year, Pace, Scott and Eric Smith? Really? How the eff do these guys get these jobs? And then went on to say how surprised he was that the Jets cut him even if it saved them $3 million b/c we should be nervous that he may go to the Bills. What the hell are these guys smoking? I hope they all go to the Bills. That means there defense will be slow as molasses. Please take them.
    I don't understand espn fascination with using him as a expert on 32 teams. he probably could not name the starters on 1/4 of the teams. They certainly have enough money to divide the country into quadrants so that thier opinion could be a little more accurate. His stuff is supposed to be accurate and factual not opinionated.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by carlito1171 View Post
    Where's Bart's pink slip Idsik?
    He's leaving the building he's just so slow its taking a while!!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Saiyonara Scott, Pace and the keystone cops...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here's hoping the team MVP can be re-signed.

Long live 63 is eligible.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down

It's crazy how some people take every so called "expert" word for it when they talk about the NFL on ESPN or the NFL network. John Clayton actually just said that the Jets released 3 starters from last year, Pace, Scott and Eric Smith? Really? How the eff do these guys get these jobs? And then went on to say how surprised he was that the Jets cut him even if it saved them $3 million b/c we should be nervous that he may go to the Bills. What the hell are these guys smoking? I hope they all go to the Bills. That means there defense will be slow as molasses. Please take them.
    ERIC SMITH ABSOLUTELY BLOWS, and I pray he is signed by an AFC East team, so we are assured to play against him twice a year...

Veteran
    Rochester, NY--Originally from Long Island
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    So you see Davis getting all the snaps next year? I seen him as more of a nickle guy on passing downs. At 235lbs I don't see him being in there on those "designated" running downs.
    The guy played something like 70% of the snaps the last 5-6 weeks of the season. He will be on the field. And Navarro Bowman came into the league 6'1" 242 lbs 26 reps of 225, DeMario Davis was 6'2" 235 36 reps of 225, Patrick Willis 6'1" 242 lbs 22 reps of 225.

Looking at those numbers it appears that even though Willis and Bowman weighed 7 lbs more at the combine Davis was much stronger. His size isn't a worry at all. Unless you think Willis and Bowman aren't very good against the run.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WillieT View Post
    He's leaving the building he's just so slow its taking a while!!
    That's funny !!!!!! Thanks

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The guy played something like 70% of the snaps the last 5-6 weeks of the season. He will be on the field. And Navarro Bowman came into the league 6'1" 242 lbs 26 reps of 225, DeMario Davis was 6'2" 235 36 reps of 225, Patrick Willis 6'1" 242 lbs 22 reps of 225.

Looking at those numbers it appears that even though Willis and Bowman weighed 7 lbs more at the combine Davis was much stronger. His size isn't a worry at all. Unless you think Willis and Bowman aren't very good against the run.
    What are you getting snooty about? When he played against the pats in the loss, I mainly seen him in motion, either blitzing or dropping back. I didn't remember him getting all those snaps that late in the season and I have have doubts that he did since he has no stat line at all for ARI and Ten and only one tackle at Jacksonville. I would think he would be in a lot more plays taking 70% of the snaps. because if he did he got totally outplayed by Scott who got 11 tackles those two games that he did not get on the stat line.

And what does bench pressing have to do with fighting thru traffic and keeping players away from your legs. They guy is taking on guards and centers who are much stronger and and out weigh him by 75lbs. I watch all jet games with my son who is a jet fan. (unless conflicted games) I just don't see him as a thumper to handle being run at all day. You do, great. we can agree to disagree without being disagreeable while asking me if I think that two of the best LBs in the league can play just because they are the same size as Davis. they are 75 Ilb/MLB in the league 90% of them 242lb +/- 10lbs only a dozen of them can be compared to Willis, as you chose to do.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    He's 250

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Eric Smith goes to the Pats and becomes an All Pro player. Oh the ironing.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bcess View Post
    He's 250
    (voice of truth and reason)

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Would have liked to see Baker back after injury. Oh well.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri_0515 View Post
    Eric Smith goes to the Pats and becomes a locker-room attendant. Oh the ironing.

Veteran
    Rochester, NY--Originally from Long Island
    Post Thanks / Like
    What are you getting snooty about? When he played against the pats in the loss, I mainly seen him in motion, either blitzing or dropping back. I didn't remember him getting all those snaps that late in the season and I have have doubts that he did since he has no stat line at all for ARI and Ten and only one tackle at Jacksonville. I would think he would be in a lot more plays taking 70% of the snaps. because if he did he got totally outplayed by Scott who got 11 tackles those two games that he did not get on the stat line.

And what does bench pressing have to do with fighting thru traffic and keeping players away from your legs. They guy is taking on guards and centers who are much stronger and and out weigh him by 75lbs. I watch all jet games with my son who is a jet fan. (unless conflicted games) I just don't see him as a thumper to handle being run at all day. You do, great. we can agree to disagree without being disagreeable while asking me if I think that two of the best LBs in the league can play just because they are the same size as Davis. they are 75 Ilb/MLB in the league 90% of them 242lb +/- 10lbs only a dozen of them can be compared to Willis, as you chose to do.
    Snooty? I'm being a little snooty b/c all you do is come on this site and throw cold water on anything or any player that has anything to do with the Jets. I could care less if your son is a fan of the team, you're not. So why come here just to constantly go against anything anyone says positive about the Jets? And lets be honest you're not a coach in the NFL/College so you actually have no more knowledge then any other person who sits at home on Sunday and watches games. You have no clue how any player will develop so stop acting like you're an expert. You're act is old. You must be really lonely. Is that snooty enough for you?

And the point of comparing him to Willis and Bowman was to show that he is big enough to be a 3-4 ILB especially since those 2 are 2 of the best in the league and are of comparable size. I wasn't comparing talent, just size. And that's b/c you made the comment that he was too small and you are wrong obviously.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Snooty? I'm being a little snooty b/c all you do is come on this site and throw cold water on anything or any player that has anything to do with the Jets. I could care less if your son is a fan of the team, you're not. So why come here just to constantly go against anything anyone says positive about the Jets? And lets be honest you're not a coach in the NFL/College so you actually have no more knowledge then any other person who sits at home on Sunday and watches games. You have no clue how any player will develop so stop acting like you're an expert. You're act is old. You must be really lonely. Is that snooty enough for you?

And the point of comparing him to Willis and Bowman was to show that he is big enough to be a 3-4 ILB especially since those 2 are 2 of the best in the league and are of comparable size. I wasn't comparing talent, just size. And that's b/c you made the comment that he was too small and you are wrong obviously.
    What I said was that I did not see him being effective on those designated running downs at 235#. I never said that he can't play. You then said that he played effectively the last 5 games at 70% of the snaps, I just pointed out that i did not see him on the field that much and that the stats backed my observations.

I don't say that I know more than anyone else on this site, nor do I have a crystal ball. again my statement that i see him more of a fit against the passing game than the running game. I did not say you were wrong, just that I seen it different.

My point about my son, was that is why I watch a lot of jet games closely.

I always go against the jets? I don't think so. Just earlier in this thread I agreed with the anti-clayton statement. before that I took exception to a jet fan that mis-quoted espn and acted like the jets being 5 mill under the cap was something to be happy about. My take on things is the same take that many jet fans on this site have, both positive and negative. And you can always put me on ignore. My feelings won't be hurt

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri_0515 View Post
    Eric Smith is the one guy who would actually be a downgrade from the garbage the Pats already have in the secondary.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FijiJet View Post
    Saiyonara Scott, Pace and the keystone cops...
    Pace and Scott 2012 = Mo Lewis and Marvin Jones 2003

Old, slow and overpaid. McIntrye actually had more sacks than Pace!