Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mike Mayock draft notes call today.

All League

Mike Mayock draft notes call today.

I really respect Mike Mayock because he's one of the few NFL analyst that actually call college games. He had a lot to say during today's call and thinks picking in the 5-25 range isn't a good thing this year. He did say my favorite player is the best player he has watched this year on tape, Warmack.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jet...medium=twitter

Supposedly Mayock is a great scout, but listening to him call games on TNF and for Notre Dame, he is just brutal. There is a difference though between having the knowledge and being able to articulate it well, he fails at the latter.

Picking winners in the draft is a dicey business, but Mayock appears to be genuinely good at it.

Kiper is a douche.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    Supposedly Mayock is a great scout, but listening to him call games on TNF and for Notre Dame, he is just brutal. There is a difference though between having the knowledge and being able to articulate it well, he fails at the latter.
    I like how Mayock calls a game. He does it from a scouts perspective and is actually pretty critical of players. He may not be eloquent, but what he has to say is pretty informative.

All League
    He played for the CFL and the Giants for a couple of years. Good perspective even if he wasn't a star.

Quote Originally Posted by BrickHouse View Post
    He played for the CFL and the Giants for a couple of years. Good perspective even if he wasn't a star.
    Shannon Sharpe played for 15 years, doesn't equate good perspective.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by BrickHouse View Post
    I really respect Mike Mayock because he's one of the few NFL analyst that actually call college games. He had a lot to say during today's call and thinks picking in the 5-25 range isn't a good thing this year. He did say my favorite player is the best player he has watched this year on tape, Warmack.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jet...medium=twitter
    how far down could the Jets trade and still realistically expect to get Warmack?

Go ahead and take Warmack then.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    how far down could the Jets trade and still realistically expect to get Warmack?
    They couldn't

There's a chance that he's not even there when we pick at #9.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    I would think he wouldn't get pass 10 Tennessee who needs a Guard. He could also go way down to 19 with the G'men who also need a guard. If he fell that far it would be a steal. I wouldn't budge though and get him at #9. Why?

3 things -> He's the only safe pick in the top 5 at a position of need. He immediately becomes a starter day 1. His contributions day one makes the whole offense better, especially in the run game. Look at the Vikings OL and tell me if the running lanes that AD runs through aren't significantly wider than what the Jets have managed to put forth over the last 3 years?

Warmack or bust. Hope he or Jones slips to us at 9. If not, it will be a crapshoot. I guess Dion Jordan would be the guy with most upside, or trade back if someone wants to take a QB at 9.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

There is no way that anyone thinks picking 5-25 is a bad thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    That wasnt what maycock meant

What he said was that in this draft, there is not a huge difference in the talent level if you are picking at 5 or 25.

This draft is not good in the sense of franchis players, either pass rushers or QBs, but is VERY deep. There will be potential first year starters into the 4th round.

The browns paid 3 late picks to move from 4 to 3 last year....if we do in fact want to move down, especially if one of the LTs is availabe (Fischer) I think this is the type of draft to take less then what the "value chart" says and just get more of those late round picks and take somce chances.

Jets Insider VIP
    I like maycok, but he cant be trusted on the evaluation of any notre dame player.

Mayock ran down Vontaze Burfict pretty bad last year. Now Mayock looks like an idiot.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by dustykeller View Post
    Mayock ran down Vontaze Burfict pretty bad last year. Now Mayock looks like an idiot.
    To be fair, pretty much everyone was down on Burfict last year based on his behavior and performance in college. No one will ever be 100% when it comes to predicting NFL success.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    From a talent perspective he's comparing this draft 1-10 vs. the past couple of years, saying the talent from 5-25 is even. If you could trade back to the later half of the first round you can get value at 25 that equates to equal grades at 5. That makes sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    I like how Mayock calls a game. He does it from a scouts perspective and is actually pretty critical of players. He may not be eloquent, but what he has to say is pretty informative.
    +1

My favorite color guy in the biz. By far.

Not really. Burfict pretty much set himself up for all the ridicule.

Warmack would be a killer at guard but the Jets have more pressing needs in the passrush dept specifically OLB

All Pro
    To be fair, he just said the risk of wasting a pick on him was one he wouldnt take. He always said Burfict had talent. Apparently all teams agreed with him, even the Bengals who did not draft him but picked him up as a FA....