Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mike Mayock draft notes call today.

There is a BIG difference between 9-25, even in years when there might not be a huge gap in overall talent in the first round. Why? You get your pick of the litter positionaly.

by virtue of the top 5 being a "good place to pick" 5-10 must be a good place to pick because at least 1 or 2 of those top 5 guys will end up in picks 5-10.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    how far down could the Jets trade and still realistically expect to get Warmack?
    Trade Revis and use that pick on him. Not many teams are going to be willing to trade up in this draft that's deep in good players, but no clear cut great players at the top.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by BrickHouse View Post
    I would think he wouldn't get pass 10 Tennessee who needs a Guard. He could also go way down to 19 with the G'men who also need a guard. If he fell that far it would be a steal. I wouldn't budge though and get him at #9. Why?

3 things -> He's the only safe pick in the top 5 at a position of need. He immediately becomes a starter day 1. His contributions day one makes the whole offense better, especially in the run game. Look at the Vikings OL and tell me if the running lanes that AD runs through aren't significantly wider than what the Jets have managed to put forth over the last 3 years?
    How many guys can this guy block?

Mayock is hands down the best in the business. Mel Kiper is a fool and Todd McShay is all over the board. As far as Chance Warmack is concerned: IF he slides to 9, he's the no-brainer pick. However, I have a hard time seeing him last past Cleveland.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    Shannon Sharpe played for 15 years, doesn't equate good perspective.
    Except for one minor detail....Mayock is one of the best analysts and draft gurus there are....
    Can't be said for Shannon.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    At least 1, which is better than Slauson and Moore did for us this season. Moore wasn't that great this year because of his hip problem. And he needs to be replaced not resigned and starting. If Warmack is the best player in the draft and falls to 9, you would be a fool to pass on him

I used to worry about Idzik being able to pull the trigger on a GUARD at #9 overall with his first ever pick as GM. Now I worry that Warmack won't even be there. Guys like Mayock and Tony are getting the word out on him and making it "okay" to draft a guard that high.

I don't think missing Warmack would be the end of the world though. You then go OLB and take Cooper or Warford at #39. I'd even trade up a couple of spots ::ducks:: to get one of them in the second. They are just a step down from Warmack.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    Supposedly Mayock is a great scout, but listening to him call games on TNF and for Notre Dame, he is just brutal. There is a difference though between having the knowledge and being able to articulate it well, he fails at the latter.
    This. His lispy voice is brutal to listen to.

How many guys could Anthony Munoz block?

The point is that we already have elite LT/C but the rest of the line has become a liability. adding a stud like Warmack could immediately turn our line from a 15-20 rank to a top 10 OL next year. If Howard improves and we get just average play from our RG we could have a top 5 OL next year.

So yeah, Warmack could be that important to our team. More important than taking a stab at one of the better LBers available.

Quote Originally Posted by Tackleem View Post
    I used to worry about Idzik being able to pull the trigger on a GUARD at #9 overall with his first ever pick as GM. Now I worry that Warmack won't even be there. Guys like Mayock and Tony are getting the word out on him and making it "okay" to draft a guard that high.

I don't think missing Warmack would be the end of the world though. You then go OLB and take Cooper or Warford at #39. I'd even trade up a couple of spots ::ducks:: to get one of them in the second. They are just a step down from Warmack.
    Exactly. No one is advocating for trading up to get this guy, but if he falls to us and we pass, we will regret not taking him for the next 10 years.

All League
    Mayock loved mark sanchez too

I like Mayock.
    Hes a BC boy so you know he has to be good.

Quote Originally Posted by JetsfanfromtheBURGH View Post
    He also loved Andrew Luck and RG3 last year

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    He also loved Andrew Luck and RG3 last year
    We missing anyone?

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsfanfromtheBURGH View Post
    There were others who thought Sanchez would be successful. When you make predictions on as many players as Mayock does, you are never going to be right 100% of the time.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    There were others who thought Sanchez would be successful. When you make predictions on as many players as Mayock does, you are never going to be right 100% of the time.
    I don't buy. You have to be 100% or nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    Exactly. No one is advocating for trading up to get this guy, but if he falls to us and we pass, we will regret not taking him for the next 10 years.
    Just as we might if he ends up being a good starting guard and a guy like Jarvis Jones or mingo turns into aldon smith. If we draft warmack we better be drafting one if not wo new rb's because warkack will have little effect with a guy like greene running the rock.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Just as we might if he ends up being a good starting guard and a guy like Jarvis Jones or mingo turns into aldon smith. If we draft warmack we better be drafting one if not wo new rb's because warkack will have little effect with a guy like greene running the rock.
    That's not really the point. If we take Mingo, and jones turns out to be Aldon we will feel stupid and vice versa. The point is that Warmack is a can't miss guard. You will never regret taking him.

As for guys like Mingo and Jones they could be Aldon Smith, they can be average or busts. There is plenty of upside with both, but significantly more downside than there is for Warmack.

Personally, I NEVER get excited about taking a Guard (or even a tackle) in the first round, but this guy is a difference maker. Something this team needs since we are years away from having an elite QB.

All Pro
    Trade Revis and use that pick on him. Not many teams are going to be willing to trade up in this draft that's deep in good players, but no clear cut great players at the top.
    So you think he will go before nine too, even though it's unheard of for a guard to go so high?