Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tebow to speak at controversial church

Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Tim Tebow is going to be a New York Jet next season. Enough with the bs this joke of an organization has already setup the cover story for not cutting him "we can't cut him we want to trade him and get something in return"

Really?

The one team in the NFL that was dumb enough to want to that clown was Jacksonville and they are no longer interested. Woody loves Tebow he is his socio-political hero I don't buy it for a second that Mikey T was the only one pushing to trade for him that is bunch of garbage. $1.5 million is a substantial amount of cap savings btw.
    Why not try? What difference does it make if they do it now or before March 1.

@WFAN660: Tim Tebow cancels appearance at controversial First Baptist Dallas megachurch | http://t.co/BZu6K9bv2j #Jets

It was about 20 years ago but still in the 80's but I went to school in Arkansas. This reverend's beliefs are no as unique as people might think. My Catholic upbringing was the topic of many conversations and being that I was from the Northeast, I used to get asked "Do I know any Jews and what are they like?" (not often, but it would happen to my surprise)

Naturally, I would tell them about the Hanukkah Monster and how he would steal all of the Christian babies and turn them into dreidels.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    @WFAN660: Tim Tebow cancels appearance at controversial First Baptist Dallas megachurch | http://t.co/BZu6K9bv2j #Jets
    I'm glad he came to his senses. The NFL, and many others, would have frowned upon him for speaking along side of that homophobic, racist, antisemitic ass-clown.

Scary stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by RoadFan View Post
    I'm glad he came to his senses. The NFL, and many others, would have frowned upon him for speaking along side of that homophobic, racist, antisemitic ass-clown.

Scary stuff.
    And even more people are would have cheered Tebow and are now upset he didn't do this public appearance with Robert Jefress. The Catholics on this board should give a listen to what he says about the Catholic Church. He is a madman.

And even more people are would have cheered Tebow and are now upset he didn't do this public appearance with Robert Jefress. The Catholics on this board should give a listen to what he says about the Catholic Church. He is a madman.
    Why ? Jeffress isn't really saying anything new. These same ideas are what led to the Great Schism and the Protestant Reformation in the freaking 1600s.

Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes9 View Post
    Why ? Jeffress isn't really saying anything new. These same ideas are what led to the Great Schism and the Protestant Reformation in the freaking 1600s.
    Well by your logic it's ok to use the n-word to describe black people because once upon a time that was ok and led to the American Civil War. What would compel Robert Jefress to take the offensive against Catholicism like that his religion is already the fastest growing in the United States what are those "Satanic" Catholics eating into his tax free donations I mean followers?

Well by your logic it's ok to use the n-word to describe black people because once upon a time that was ok and led to the American Civil War. What would compel Robert Jefress to take the offensive against Catholicism like that his religion is already the fastest growing in the United States what are those "Satanic" Catholics eating into his tax free donations I mean followers?
    My point is that Protestantism was the result of disagreement with the Catholic Church over practices, dogma and theology. Luther, Calvin etc thought that the Catholic Church had gone away from the teachings of Christ, which led to them splitting away from the "Church".

What compels Jeffress to take the "offensive" is his belief that he is supposed to preach the "biblical truth" as he understands it. Similarly, it's what would cause him to preach about the "evils" of adultery as well.

BTW, fwiw, I was born into and raised as a Catholic and even did time as an Altar boy when growing up. (Nope, no pedophile preachers in my parish luckily). This lasted until about half way through high school when I started my long drift away from the Church, Religion and even God (whomever or whatever he might be).
    Last edited by Demosthenes9; 02-21-2013 at 11:17 PM.

All Pro
    My point is that Protestantism was the result of disagreement with the Catholic Church over practices, dogma and theology. Luther, Calvin etc thought that the Catholic Church had gone away from the teachings of Christ, which led to them splitting away from the "Church".

What compels Jeffress to take the "offensive" is his belief that he is supposed to preach the "biblical truth" as he understands it. Similarly, it's what would cause him to preach about the "evils" of adultery as well.

BTW, fwiw, I was born into and raised as a Catholic and even did time as an Altar boy when growing up. (Nope, no pedophile preachers in my parish luckily). This lasted until about half way through high school when I started my long drift away from the Church, Religion and even God (whomever or whatever he might be).
    +1

Tebow knows what that church stands for. I he believes the same thing, and backed away just for politics, then he isn't the true Man of God he says he is. If he had no idea what the church stood for, he should really learn about where he is going to speak, as that obviously brings a lot of attention to him.

Although I went the other route, was born Catholic, drifted away from the church because of issues I have with the Catholic church, and now go to a non-denominational church which teaches from the bible.

Talking Dr. Jeffers: anti Jew, Catholic, gay, muslim, mormon, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by chirorob View Post
    +1

Tebow knows what that church stands for. I he believes the same thing, and backed away just for politics, then he isn't the true Man of God he says he is. If he had no idea what the church stood for, he should really learn about where he is going to speak, as that obviously brings a lot of attention to him.

Although I went the other route, was born Catholic, drifted away from the church because of issues I have with the Catholic church, and now go to a non-denominational church which teaches from the bible.
    TEACHES FROM THE BIBLE..? Give me a break. There are 30,000 Protestant denominations that profess to " teach from the bible." Which is correct; which interpretation is accurate.? It was the Catholic Church which gave us the 27 Canonical books of the New Testament in 363. A.D. (approx.)
    The Protestant Churches were not even extent at that time.
    Of course, there has been corruptions in the 2000 year history of the Church- that can be expected in the future also. But to split-off and start a new congregation everytime you or your pastor disagree about a doctrine or practical issue-- makes for nonsensical interpretation. The growth of the Dr. Jeffers style feel- good- narcissistic- health and wealth Gospel Mega churches is symptomatic of Individualistic Americanism gone amok.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Seagirt View Post
    TEACHES FROM THE BIBLE..? Give me a break. There are 30,000 Protestant denominations that profess to " teach from the bible." Which is correct; which interpretation is accurate.? It was the Catholic Church which gave us the 27 Canonical books of the New Testament in 363. A.D. (approx.)
    Of course, there has been corruptions in the 2000 year history of the Church- that can be expected in the future also. But to split-off and start a new congregation everytime you or your pastor disagree about a doctrine or practical issue-- makes for nonsensical interpretation. The growth of the Dr. Jeffers style feel- good- narcissistic- health and wealth Gospel Mega churches is symptomatic of Individualistic Americanism gone amok.
    +1. Amok I tell ya. AMOK!!

Undrafted Free Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    nice sig.
    thanx

Undrafted Free Agent
    I shall pray to God that may he bless the JI congregation with more wisdom or what-not

Does anyone really think Tebow and his people didn't know everything about this pastor already? He cancelled because the pastor's views were plastered all over the national media headlines and he doesn't want it associated with his public persona. I'm sure if someone put the energy into going back to all the pastor's Tebow has endorsed and preached with you'd find there are lot's of them that are just as homophobic, racist, and anti-semetic as this guy is.
    Last edited by Snell41; 02-22-2013 at 02:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Seagirt View Post
    Ummm, Jeffress is hadly a "feel good, narcissistic healt hand wealth" type Church. You must be thinking about Olsteen is the like.

Jeffress is actually the opposite. He's a hardliner of the Southern Baptist Convention.

Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    Does anyone really think Tebow and his people didn't know everything about this pastor already? He cancelled because the pastor's views were plastered all over the national media headlines and he doesn't want it associated with his public persona. I'm sure if someone put the energy into going back to all the pastor's Tebow has endorsed and preached with you'd find there are lot's of them that are just as homophobic, racist, and anti-semetic as this guy is.

Just out of curiosity, you'd contend that believing homosexualty to be sinful makes one homophobic ?

Or one who believes that followers of Judaism won't get into Heaven is anti-semitic ?

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by chirorob View Post
    +1

Non denominational teaches from the Bible hah! I've been to plenty of those churches if you don't agree with how their certain pastor or groups interpretation of the Bible you're wrong and they tell you to keep reading and praying till you get it. Problem is there is about 33,000 other pastors who think their interpretation is the correct one. No Thanks Went back to the Catholic church who's flaws are apparent but started the church within 100 years of Christs death. If the Catholic church is wrong im probably going to Hell. If they're right im probably going to Hell too. Probably going to Hell in every religion. But we got confession! So I got that going for me.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by thebigragu View Post
    Non denominational teaches from the Bible hah! I've been to plenty of those churches if you don't agree with how their certain pastor or groups interpretation of the Bible you're wrong and they tell you to keep reading and praying till you get it. Problem is there is about 33,000 other pastors who think their interpretation is the correct one. No Thanks Went back to the Catholic church who's flaws are apparent but started the church within 100 years of Christs death. If the Catholic church is wrong im probably going to Hell. If they're right im probably going to Hell too. Probably going to Hell in every religion. But we got confession! So I got that going for me.
    Yeah but you have to really be sorry so no you don't..

Quote Originally Posted by thebigragu View Post
    You also get a free gulp of wine with a wafer to go with it.

Talking HARDLINERS IN THE SOUTH

Ummm, Jeffress is hadly a "feel good, narcissistic healt hand wealth" type Church. You must be thinking about Olsteen is the like.

Jeffress is actually the opposite. He's a hardliner of the Southern Baptist Convention.
    You are correct. I got carried away. Still, Dr. Jeffress is probably a narcissistic- neurotic- hardliner . He's got God in his pocket and nobody's gonna tell him otherwise. LOL