Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tebow to speak at controversial church

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Tebow to speak at controversial church

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/ey...las-megachurch

On Sunday, April 28, Tim Tebow will be speaking at a Dallas Baptist megachurch headed by evangelical reverend Robert Jeffress, who has spoken out in the past against Muslims, Jews, Mormons and homosexuals.
    More on Tim Tebow
    Analysis
    Gregg Doyel
    Agreeing to speak at intolerant church is Tebow's greatest sin
    Stories

Ex-Jets QB coach: Didn't use Tebow enough
    More news & notes from around league

The 11,000-member church will host Tebow weeks after the congregation inaugurates a new $130 million campus. And while the Jets quarterback often talks about God's role in his life, Jeffress' controversial background doesn't mesh with Tebow's squeaky-clean public persona.

In the past, Jeffress has claimed that Islam promoted pedophilia, said Judaism "leads people to an eternity of separation from God in hell," and reportedly reduced Catholics, Hindus, Buddhists and others to members of cults. (Jeffress criticized Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney for his Mormon faith but eventually supported him over Barack Obama, whose reelection he said would "pav(e) the way for the future reign of the Antichrist.") Jeffress denounced the repeal of "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" by observing that "It's a fact that [AIDS is] a gay disease so there's a reasonable reason to exclude gays from the military.”

Despite Tebow's well-crafted image, he's also familiar with controversy. Three years ago, he and his mother were featured in a pro-life commercial that aired during the Super Bowl.

"I know some people won't agree with it, but I think they can at least respect that I stand up for what I believe," Tebow said. "I've always been very convicted of it (his views on abortion) because that's the reason I'm here, because my mom was a very courageous woman. So any way that I could help, I would do it."

Jehmu Greene, former president of the New York-based Women's Media Center, responded at the time by saying that "An ad that uses sports to divide rather than to unite has no place in the biggest national sports event of the year -- an event designed to bring Americans together."

Last spring, Tebow spoke in front of 30,000 people at Celebration Church, in Georgetown, Texas, where his message wasn't much different from what he's said during postgame press conferences throughout his football career.

“It's OK to be outspoken about your faith,” he told the onlookers during an Easter service last year (via the New York Daily News). “First and foremost it is what this country was based on: one nation under God.”

As for what we can expect in April, First Baptist's website doesn't offer much in the way of details: "NFL Quarterback and Philanthropist Tim Tebow lives a life that consistently reflects his values, and he is dedicated to helping people and communities in need. … (He) will join us as we conclude our month of grand opening events!"

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Old. We've already discussed this last week, lol.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    lets just cut this fool and move on from tanny's disasters

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    A Southern Church who are against Gays , Muslims and Jews just unbelievable...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    That church is only controversial to Yankees who do not understand the Southern Baptist faith. First Baptist is probably the oldest mainline church in Dallas. They aren't a "mega church" which are typically newer churches based upon a charismatic pastor. They are to Dallas what the Arch Diocese is to NYC.

They have always been and will always be a conservative group: no drinking, no pre marital sex, no dancing, etc. if you don't follow their faith, they think that you are going to hell. But, they don't hate you: their church demands that they try to Save you.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Got to milk that spotlight as long as he can cause he's not playing another down in the NFL.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pragmatic Bus View Post
    lets just cut this fool and move on from tanny's disasters
    nice sig.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Religion poisons everything

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Last edited by RoadFan; 02-19-2013 at 10:01 PM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    wow. sounds like Tebow and President Obama have something in common - controversial pastors and churches.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    B-but Tim Tebow doesn't try to be political it's the media who labels him that way. Jesus told me.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I hope that everyone who is outraged about Tebow speaking at this church were just as outraged in 2008 when the Obama/Rev Wright issue was being discussed.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post
    I hope that everyone who is outraged about Tebow speaking at this church were just as outraged in 2008 when the Obama/Rev Wright issue was being discussed.
    Wasn't Tim Tebow born in the Phillipines? I want to see his Mom's citizenship form. That and the fact that he sucks means he shouldn't be in the NFL.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    B-but Tim Tebow doesn't try to be political it's the media who labels him that way. Jesus told me.

What is political about a devout Christian speaking at a Christian Church ?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tebow wasn't part of the the cap purge. Easy cut, tho little cap space saved.

What does Idzik have in store for Tebow?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ASG0531 View Post

Many around here will **** a brick if Tebow remains with the team. Funny thing is that there are a lot of similarities between the WCO and the Spread Option that Tebow ran at Florida.

I doubt that it will happen, and I firmly believe that Tebow is on his way to another team, but it would be hilarious to see the reaction around here if this came to pass

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post
    I'm outraged.®

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Who cares? Maybe next season some other team will be blessed with the opportunity to discuss important football news like this

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ASG0531 View Post

Tim Tebow is going to be a New York Jet next season. Enough with the bs this joke of an organization has already setup the cover story for not cutting him "we can't cut him we want to trade him and get something in return"

Really?

The one team in the NFL that was dumb enough to want to that clown was Jacksonville and they are no longer interested. Woody loves Tebow he is his socio-political hero I don't buy it for a second that Mikey T was the only one pushing to trade for him that is bunch of garbage. $1.5 million is a substantial amount of cap savings btw.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornfed View Post
    Who cares? Maybe next season some other team will be blessed with the opportunity to discuss important football news like this
    Can we trade Tebow to the Edmonton Eskimoes?