Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Job Interview Help/Advice Needed

Veteran

Job Interview Help/Advice Needed

This may be a bit long-winded, but any help would be appreciated.

On January 4th I interviewed for a job at a start-up company that is very well funded by a major auto manufacturer and several private equity firms. Long story short, it's a small operation with big aspirations. I like the idea, love the opportunity, and love the pay, perks, etc. Long story short, on January 4th I interviewed with the CEO. The interview went great, and I left thinking I had the job in the bag (the CEO essentially said as much). I asked the CEO when I would hear back from him, and he said that he'd like for me to come in the following week (week of January 7th) for a follow-up meeting and that he'd be in touch. I wrote a thank you e-mail right after our interview (and sent him a message on LInkedIn, which is how we were communicating in the days leading up to the interview), but never heard back.

Sure enough, the week of January 7th comes and goes, and I hear nothing. I Write a follow-up e-mail on January 14th (and send a message on LinkedIn) asking for an update, but still don't hear anything. At this point, I all but assume that they've moved on to another candidate, and that there isn't any interest on their part.

Finally, on January 30th I decided to write one final e-mail to the CEO asking him if I was still in consideration for the open position. In that e-mail, I thanked him for the opportunity, and wished him luck if had decided to go in another direction.

Sure enough, the CEO responds back to me right away saying that I am one of the top candidates for the position, and that he would contact me the week of February 4th to meet with the other team members.

As you can imagine at this point, the week of February 4th comes and goes without any contact. On February 9th, I decide to call him in an effort to get the process rolling. I assume that a phone call will get me the direct answers I'm looking for. I call him, he answers (he sounded excited to hear from me), but says that he's walking into a breakfast meeting and that he can't talk. He says that he'll call me back and that we'll catch up. So far, as of this writing, I haven't heard back. I followed that phone call up with a message on LinkedIn on February 9th, but still haven't heard back.

At this point, it's February 19th and I'm not sure what to do next. This is my dream position, and I'll do anything to get it, but I feel like I'm pulling teeth here.

What should my next move be? Any advice as to how to proceed?

Any help is appreciated.

All League
    Let me guess...in the interview he asked what kind of dinosaur you would be.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

...and cue the resume.

Jets Insider VIP
    Were you wearing a suit when you called him on February 9th?

Just show up and start working....it show's initiative.

Tell him that you have an offer from another company on the table and that you simply can't wait around and pass up other opportunities while they keep you on ice with little communication. Essentially, give him an ultimatum of needing an offer letter by the end of the week. If they are for real, they will react.

Sorry bro, sounds sketchy. Especially if the CEO is giving you the run around. Doesn't sound like a company you should work for if they can't even recruit a new hire properly... imagine how they'd treat you if you worked there.

Jets Insider VIP
    My advice would be to actively pursue other opportunities, i.e. dont just sit around waiting for them. That isn't being fair to yourself.

If they come through before you find something else, and you still are sold on the job, take it. I would keep in mind the overall process though. Obviously there are ins and outs etc with each job hiring; my current job took about a month to finalize, but it does sound like they are giving you a bit of the run around.

Also if you find another position in the meantime you could use that as leverage for them to get their **** together.

Good luck.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by frostlich View Post
    Just show up and start working....it show's initiative.
    And pack crackers in your breifcase!

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Straw View Post
    On February 9th, I decide to call him in an effort to get the process rolling. I assume that a phone call will get me the direct answers I'm looking for. I call him, he answers (he sounded excited to hear from me), but says that he's walking into a breakfast meeting and that he can't talk. He says that he'll call me back and that we'll catch up.
    You're lucky... Mark doesn't usually answer his phone.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Jets Things View Post
    Wow, 4 posts in before this showed up? Hampur is slacking.

To the OP, I would almost guarantee that any of the info regarding this start-up was over-inflated and that they are likely operating on the balls of their collective asses. Keep looking elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetworks View Post

To the OP, I would almost guarantee that any of the info regarding this start-up was over-inflated and that they are likely operating on the balls of their collective asses. Keep looking elsewhere.
    It's the failsafe. I would have said it if I got here in time.

On January 4th I interviewed for a job at a start-up company that is very well funded by a major auto manufacturer and several private equity firms. Long story short, it's a small operation with big aspirations. I like the idea, love the opportunity, and love the pay, perks, etc. Long story short, on January 4th I interviewed with the CEO. The interview went great, and I left thinking I had the job in the bag (the CEO essentially said as much). I asked the CEO when I would hear back from him, and he said that he'd like for me to come in the following week (week of January 7th) for a follow-up meeting and that he'd be in touch. I wrote a thank you e-mail right after our interview (and sent him a message on LInkedIn, which is how we were communicating in the days leading up to the interview), but never heard back.

Sure enough, the week of January 7th comes and goes, and I hear nothing. I Write a follow-up e-mail on January 14th (and send a message on LinkedIn) asking for an update, but still don't hear anything. At this point, I all but assume that they've moved on to another candidate, and that there isn't any interest on their part.

Finally, on January 30th I decided to write one final e-mail to the CEO asking him if I was still in consideration for the open position. In that e-mail, I thanked him for the opportunity, and wished him luck if had decided to go in another direction.

Sure enough, the CEO responds back to me right away saying that I am one of the top candidates for the position, and that he would contact me the week of February 4th to meet with the other team members.

As you can imagine at this point, the week of February 4th comes and goes without any contact. On February 9th, I decide to call him in an effort to get the process rolling. I assume that a phone call will get me the direct answers I'm looking for. I call him, he answers (he sounded excited to hear from me), but says that he's walking into a breakfast meeting and that he can't talk. He says that he'll call me back and that we'll catch up. So far, as of this writing, I haven't heard back. I followed that phone call up with a message on LinkedIn on February 9th, but still haven't heard back.

At this point, it's February 19th and I'm not sure what to do next. This is my dream position, and I'll do anything to get it, but I feel like I'm pulling teeth here.

Any help is appreciated.
    Fill out and send in 20 employment applications to that business each and every day. Know what the second toughest thing you had to do at your previous job was. Make sure you have multiple copies of your resume on hand, and remember that the best answer you can give the question "If you were a dinosaur, what kind would you be?" is the "Twattsaurus."

Follow these steps, and you'll get a job

Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    My advice would be to actively pursue other opportunities, i.e. dont just sit around waiting for them. That isn't being fair to yourself.

If they come through before you find something else, and you still are sold on the job, take it. I would keep in mind the overall process though. Obviously there are ins and outs etc with each job hiring; my current job took about a month to finalize, but it does sound like they are giving you a bit of the run around.

Also if you find another position in the meantime you could use that as leverage for them to get their **** together.

Good luck.
    Or just don't get a job and stay retired for the time being. That's what I did for two years

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by BushyTheBeaver View Post
    Let me guess...in the interview he asked what kind of dinosaur you would be.
    Quote Originally Posted by BURGERMIKE View Post
    ...and cue the resume.
    Quote Originally Posted by crossfire View Post
    You're lucky... Mark doesn't usually answer his phone.
    Oh, lolz

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetworks View Post

The start-up is owned/funded by BMW. I've looked into, and they're legitimate.

Jets Insider VIP
    The start-up is owned/funded by BMW. I've looked into, and they're legitimate.
    Do they know they have dickheads in NJ leasing 3 series'?

As a start-up he simply may need to get approval to add the job you've discussed at this point in the companies life cycle. If he's wrestling with something like that, he may not disclose it and your communication must be strategic to avoid driving him away.

As a CEO you need to assume he has the balls to tell you if he isn't interested.

As a CEO of a start-up he should also have alot of stuff going on. He hasn't told you you're out....so you may not be #1 (dating another to it's conclusion?) or you are and he has to work through something (could be as simple as his timeframe is not as urgent as yours...happens too often).

All League
    You sound like an ex girlfriend. They are just not into you. Move on. It looks desperate.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Any help is appreciated.
    Them: Selfishly and inconsiderately keeping all their options open while dicking you around.

You: Being taken for a ride, eagerly waiting for a job offer from someone who blatantly mistreats you before you're even an employee.

Me: Resident expert on hiring, quitting, slacking, excelling, interviewing (both as the er and the ee), job-hopping and ALWAYS trading up.

Pretty bad advice in this thread thus far, all joking aside...

Although, Shakin is right and that dude is an inconsiderate deek... First question you should ask yourself is 'If that dude treats me like this prior to my employment, how will he treat me after I'm hired'...

Southpole says to leverage with a different opportunity but that depends on who's recruiting and what their prospectus is... He could be put off by you doing such...