Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Job Interview Help/Advice Needed

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crossfire View Post
    You're lucky... Mark doesn't usually answer his phone.
    Ha! Awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by frostlich View Post
    Just show up and start working....it show's initiative.
    A classic Costanza move! From "The Barber" episode.

GEORGE: So I still haven't heard about that job.

JERRY: Yeah that's a tough one. What are you going to do about that?

GEORGE: I have an idea.

JERRY: Yeah?

GEORGE: I show up.

JERRY: What do you mean you show up?

GEORGE: I show up. I pretend I have the job. The guy's on vacation. If I have the job, it's fine. If I don't have the job, by the time he comes back, I'm ensconced.

JERRY: Hmm. Not bad.

GEORGE: What's the worst thing that could happen?

JERRY: Well, you'd be embarrassed and humiliated in front of a large group of people and have to walk out in shame with your tail between your legs.

GEORGE: Yeah, so?

JERRY: Yeah, I see what you mean. I forgot who I was dealing with here.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite View Post
    Pretty bad advice in this thread thus far, all joking aside...

Although, Shakin is right and that dude is an inconsiderate deek... First question you should ask yourself is 'If that dude treats me like this prior to my employment, how will he treat me after I'm hired'...

Southpole says to leverage with a different opportunity but that depends on who's recruiting and what their prospectus is... He could be put off by you doing such...
    I agree. The problem lies in the fact that I really don't have much leverage in this situation. The job for which I'm waiting on pays about 35% more annually than what I'm making now. I don't want for him to call my bluff and tell me to move on if I play the "I have another offer" card. I really want this job, as I don't see myself finding another opportunity like this (in terms of pay) any time soon.

I'm willing to wait this out, I'm just trying to find a way to get the ball rolling without sounding like, as one poster so eloquently put it, "a crazy ex-girlfriend."

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Straw View Post
    I agree. The problem lies in the fact that I really don't have much leverage in this situation. The job for which I'm waiting on pays about 35% more annually than what I'm making now. I don't want for him to call my bluff and tell me to move on if I play the "I have another offer" card. I really want this job, as I don't see myself finding another opportunity like this (in terms of pay) any time soon.

I'm willing to wait this out, I'm just trying to find a way to get the ball rolling without sounding like, as one poster so eloquently put it, "a crazy ex-girlfriend."
    What you do have the power to do is take less, as those are likely the offers being entertained with you...

Two problems though... You can't directly say you'll take less because you don't want to seem desperate (although, no offense, it's a little late for that) and most importantly, you don't know the real holdup. It could literally be pending capital on their part... There's no way of knowing unless you have contacts built up elsewhere. That's why entertaining other offers in the same sector is a great idea. You can learn a ton about your prospective employer in those interviews if you ask the right questions and use it as a fallback plan if need be...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Send him a message via Linkedin with at least 10 F bombs and various anatomical suggestions regarding the job.

Then call and say your account was hacked.

This works for celebrities and politicians; should work for you.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    My advice is not to close any doors and look for another job in the meantime. I assume you went to a head hunter to spread your resume around. Calling back makes you sound desparate. He already knows you want the job but keep some pride. Good luck.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Find another job.

And then sit and think about what you've done. You're down to asking the rejects of an Internet football message board for job advice.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

GOOD Taleneted people are VERY RARE and if they wanted you...you would know already.

We don't win em all. Time to move on. I just turned 50. I had 2 situations like that in my life...

1- GREAT job offer I turned down
    2- ONE GREAT JOB I didn't get.

I think about both of those even today and wonder what if... it's part of life.

You'll do fine.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    This may be a bit long-winded, but any help would be appreciated.

On January 4th I interviewed for a job at a start-up company that is very well funded by a major auto manufacturer and several private equity firms. Long story short, it's a small operation with big aspirations. I like the idea, love the opportunity, and love the pay, perks, etc. Long story short, on January 4th I interviewed with the CEO. The interview went great, and I left thinking I had the job in the bag (the CEO essentially said as much). I asked the CEO when I would hear back from him, and he said that he'd like for me to come in the following week (week of January 7th) for a follow-up meeting and that he'd be in touch. I wrote a thank you e-mail right after our interview (and sent him a message on LInkedIn, which is how we were communicating in the days leading up to the interview), but never heard back.

Sure enough, the week of January 7th comes and goes, and I hear nothing. I Write a follow-up e-mail on January 14th (and send a message on LinkedIn) asking for an update, but still don't hear anything. At this point, I all but assume that they've moved on to another candidate, and that there isn't any interest on their part.

Finally, on January 30th I decided to write one final e-mail to the CEO asking him if I was still in consideration for the open position. In that e-mail, I thanked him for the opportunity, and wished him luck if had decided to go in another direction.

Sure enough, the CEO responds back to me right away saying that I am one of the top candidates for the position, and that he would contact me the week of February 4th to meet with the other team members.

As you can imagine at this point, the week of February 4th comes and goes without any contact. On February 9th, I decide to call him in an effort to get the process rolling. I assume that a phone call will get me the direct answers I'm looking for. I call him, he answers (he sounded excited to hear from me), but says that he's walking into a breakfast meeting and that he can't talk. He says that he'll call me back and that we'll catch up. So far, as of this writing, I haven't heard back. I followed that phone call up with a message on LinkedIn on February 9th, but still haven't heard back.

At this point, it's February 19th and I'm not sure what to do next. This is my dream position, and I'll do anything to get it, but I feel like I'm pulling teeth here.

What should my next move be? Any advice as to how to proceed?

Any help is appreciated.
    This guy does not seem very organized or dependable. Some people are unfortunately just like this. Can you imagine how it would be to work for this guy? My advice is to call him once a week for the next 2-3 weeks. Also, try to call him early in the morning and after 5 pm when he may pick up his own phone. You should keep looking however and assume that this job is not going to happen for you.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Let me start off with, Classic responses, love it. Screw the Jets talk, I live for these posts.

On a serious note, every time you call this guy back the pay goes from $35k more down in $5k increments, you have contacted him back about 4 times you say, your down to a $15k raise should you take the job now. If it actually happens you will owe him money.

Bottom line, a CEO, let me re-phrase that, a good and credible CEO would be direct and up-front, he would tell you the hold up and communicate with you. If I am a CEO and I want a new hire, I know my company situation and plan for it. This guy seems to be some fly by the seat of his pants jerk-off without any credibility. If I was already working I would be extremely scared to leave a comfortable job for this one, and if I had no job I would consider this temporary. Even if the money was good, he has given you nothing to feel comfortable about,,,,,, to the point that you are asking us knot-heads for advice.

with all that said, never put your eggs in one basket, keep up the good search. Good luck, hope it all works out, whatever it is.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    1. stop stalking him
    2. if they wanted to hire you, you'd be hired

i've walked out of about 10 interviews in my life saying that i have the job, one job at sony they told me the HR person will be in touch to discuss compensation and start date. doesn't happen.

i really think you are ass'ing your way out of the job by stalking him...i personally wouldn't hire any candidate who is calling me directly me.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jack, been there bro...you can't hang on to that hope that he'll come around. Keep looking, give yourself more options. This self-important CEO knows you are out there. He's not going to forget about you and hire someone else. If he hires someone else, he was never going to hire you in the 1st place. The job may sound great, but he doesn't sound like a seasoned, polished CEO. If he was, he'd either make you an offer, or cut you loose.

Have some confidence in your abilities, and tell yourself you have what it takes to get another great offer. Don't keep after him, there is a fine line between persistence and desperation.