Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Jets are about 2014 not 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Monsterxman View Post
    After Chicago’s 2006 Superbowl appearance which they lost, Lovie Smith led them to a 23-23 record in his next 3 years including 2 losing 7-9 seasons.
    They gave him 6 more seasons after the Superbowl to try to get there again.
    In 9 years with Lovie, the Bears played a total of 6 playoff games – and own 3-3 record.

Personally, I don't think Lovie should have even been fired. He's a good coach. Still, Rex is better -

In 4 seasons, Rex got us to two AFC championship games...
    + 6 playoff games and owns 4-2 playoff record.

That’s a great point about Dilfer….
    Only the team he won with did it by playing incredible defense.
    And who was their defensive coordinator??? Rex
    LOL! This is my exact point about the delusions with Rex. He was a DL coach on that staff. Marvin Lewis was the DC. Heck, their systems aren't even similar, the Ravens changed to a 3-4 under Nolan. The fact that multiple posters have made that claim about Rex Ryan being that team's DC is mind-boggling

Rex didn't become D.C. of the Ravens until 2005 AND was passed over by his own organization because they knew his schtick wouldn't work. You know, the organization who are the defending Super Bowl champions and keepers of two Lombardi trophy's in less than 20 years of existence.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Down, Set, Haiku View Post
    LOL! This is my exact point about the delusions with Rex. He was a DL coach on that staff. Marvin Lewis was the DC. Heck, their systems aren't even similar, the Ravens changed to a 3-4 under Nolan. The fact that multiple posters have made that claim about Rex Ryan being that team's DC is mind-boggling
    Thats because Rex talks about that Raven defense like he was the reason they were dominant. It is comical how much credit Rex tries to take for that defense.

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Thats because Rex talks about that Raven defense like he was the reason they were dominant. It is comical how much credit Rex tries to take for that defense.
    Meanwhile all he was was the Defensive Line coach and the DL consisted of Tony Siragusa, Sam Adams, Lionel Dalton and Keith Washington. **** .. you and I probably could have coached that unit.

After Chicago’s 2006 Superbowl appearance which they lost, Lovie Smith led them to a 23-23 record in his next 3 years including 2 losing 7-9 seasons.
    They gave him 6 more seasons after the Superbowl to try to get there again.
    In 9 years with Lovie, the Bears played a total of 6 playoff games – and own 3-3 record.

Personally, I don't think Lovie should have even been fired. He's a good coach. Still, Rex is better -

In 4 seasons, Rex got us to two AFC championship games...
    + 6 playoff games and owns 4-2 playoff record.

As far as Lovie Smith being retained, dude missed the playoffs 5 out of the last 6 seasons. How do you possibly justify retaining that?

Rex hasn't improved, and I have no problem with the claim that's he's defensively regressed since his first season here, save the playoff game in Foxboro. His blitzes aren't feared at all by anyone anymore, they've given up big drive after big drive (since he's been here, btw), and if anyone has noticed, he's been looking like a stud playcaller only vs. crap teams and young / inferior QBs the past 2+ years. People on the board used to DESTROY Pennington 6 years back as being able to only light it up vs. inferior opponents and then he folds vs. quality teams. Why is that scrutiny not also given to Rex, when it's been the case for several seasons running now?

Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    Rex didn't become D.C. of the Ravens until 2005 AND was passed over by his own organization because they knew his schtick wouldn't work. You know, the organization who are the defending Super Bowl champions and keepers of two Lombardi trophy's in less than 20 years of existence.
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    Meanwhile all he was was the Defensive Line coach and the DL consisted of Tony Siragusa, Sam Adams, Lionel Dalton and Keith Washington. **** .. you and I probably could have coached that unit.
    ALL THIS

Rex ca hold on to his job next year if they don't finish 500, but they can lose by an average of 17 points to teems with winning records. He has to get them more competitive

As far as Lovie Smith being retained, dude missed the playoffs 5 out of the last 6 seasons. How do you possibly justify retaining that?

Rex hasn't improved, and I have no problem with the claim that's he's defensively regressed since his first season here, save the playoff game in Foxboro. His blitzes aren't feared at all by anyone anymore, they've given up big drive after big drive (since he's been here, btw), and if anyone has noticed, he's been looking like a stud playcaller only vs. crap teams and young / inferior QBs the past 2+ years. People on the board used to DESTROY Pennington 6 years back as being able to only light it up vs. inferior opponents and then he folds vs. quality teams. Why is that scrutiny not also given to Rex, when it's been the case for several seasons running now?

Rex doesn't need to improve. He needs a better QB.

6 out the first 7 season's Bill Bellichick coached were losing seasons and just 1 playoff appereance. I bet Cleveland wishes they had him now.

Bill Cower took 14 seasons to win a Superbowl.
    Pittsburgh endured a 3 year stretch where he won: 6, 7 and 9 games and no playoff appearances.

It's easy to say fire Rex... but give me who you are replacing him with?

Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    Rex ca hold on to his job next year if they don't finish 500, but they can lose by an average of 17 points to teems with winning records. He has to get them more competitive
    Easy to say, but switch Brady for Sanchez and we'd see the same thing happen to your Pats team.

Banned
    Easy to say, but switch Brady for Sanchez and we'd see the same thing happen to your Pats team.
    All Rex did in 2000 was get coffee and donuts for Lewis and Billick.

Totally amazing how many Jets fans think Rex had anything to do with that great defense.

2013 Jets aren't about 2014.

They are about spinning wheels and continued failure. Like every other Jets team since Parcells stopped coaching.

Get real with this stuff. No QB, no dice.

You see what the Colts did?

They gave up a season when a great, truly can't miss QB was available.

This team won't do that because the owner is a loser.

If the owner wasn't a loser we'd have Bill Polian forcing them to stink until they could get a great QB prospect. Because that's what Polian does. How that's hard to figure out is mind-blowing.

But anybody enamored by Geno Smith should realize that he's less appealing than even Tannehill was, prospect-wise.

Hall Of Fame
    Regression implies that Sanchez played at a higher level at some point.
    I don't see that. I'd argue that instead of regressing, he just hasn't progressed.

You have a hard time defending Sanchez, but you're still sort of doing it by putting some of the blame on Rex.

I'd like to give Rex a chance with another QB. Is that so wrong?
    Afterall, we gave Sanchez a chance with another OC...

IMO Rex has shown more than Mark Sanchez ever has... bringing us a solid defense for most (you can argue all) of the time he's been here. Show me another coach who's had success with a QB as bad as Sanchez and I'd agree Rex is the problem.
    Fair enough. But I still hold Rex accountable. He is the HC, not the DC. He is responsible for the entire team. How many mulligans is he going to get?

You might be the first person to ever say I defended Sanchez. I am one of the more critical posters here of him. But it just so happens in this case there is plenty of blame to go around. Like I said, I wanted them all gone.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    All Rex did in 2000 was get coffee and donuts for Lewis and Billick.

Totally amazing how many Jets fans think Rex had anything to do with that great defense.
    I agree. But we also have to take into consideration the 2006 Ravens D. That unit was also a record-setting unit.

I think Rex is a good DC. Which is why he will be a DC in 2014 if he is not doing TV.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeonM View Post
    The handwriting is on the wall. The Jets are not going to be a contending team in 2013. The team has gotten progressively worse since the AFC Championship loss to Pittsburgh in January of 2011.

The Jets fell apart at the end of the 2011 season and then regressed further in 2012 to a 6 and 10 season. The 2013 Jets are going to be worse than they were in 2012. They are bringing back the league's worst starting quarterback in Mark Sanchez and they are going to trade their best player in Darrelle Revis. Combine that with all of the free agent losses upcoming of players like Laron Landry, Dustin Keller,Brandon Moore etc... What you have is a team in transition and on a downward trend.

This begs the question as to why Rex Ryan is still here. The Jets should have closed the door and moved forward with a new era which has partially begun with John Idzik. This 2013 offseason is all about resetting the franchise for the 2014 season and beyond. Jets fans should not be in denial. Just look at the franchise objectively. The Jets are positioned to take another step backwards in 2013 before they can even begin to move forward in 2014.

2014 represents what will probably be a brand new coaching staff and some major tweaks to the scouting department. These aspects should have started this current offseason but we are going to go through a poor season with poor expectations and a bad team stuck in neutral for one more year. Hopefully, the cap and draft moves set us up for a brighter future beyond this year. Another poor Jets season will come at a time when the Superbowl is in our shared stadium. It's going to be another rough year to be a Jets fan. Tough pill to swallow but it's the truth.
    Because Rex was able to help Woody accomplish his only and main objective, sell PSL's.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I agree. But we also have to take into consideration the 2006 Ravens D. That unit was also a record-setting unit.

I think Rex is a good DC. Which is why he will be a DC in 2014 if he is not doing TV.
    Couldn't agree more.

99 out of 100 DC's who turned in the performance that Rex did would have automatically been elevated to HC when the Ravens had the vacancy.

Ozzie is a smart dude. He knew early on Rex was not quality HC material.

Rex will be a blast on the TV circut next year.

Banned
    Rex doesn't need to improve.
    Is that a joke?

If not, you don't have a clue.

All Pro
    Mods please merge with all the other whiny self-hating SOJF threads that have obnoxious clueless Pats trolls piling on, thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    Is that a joke?

If not, you don't have a clue.
    BB needed to improve when 6 out of his first 7 seasons we're losing ones...

He magically became a great coach once he had an elite QB.

Give the Jets a young Tom Brady or Peyton Manning and watch Rex become a great coach overnight.

Banned
    BB needed to improve when 6 out of his first 7 seasons we're losing ones...

He magically became a great coach once he had an elite QB.

Give the Jets a young Tom Brady or Peyton Manning and watch Rex become a great coach overnight.
    Rex wanted Sanchez so bad after he was so impressed that so many of his teammates came out to work out with him at Pro Day at USC.

Rex had alot to do with wasting a #5 overall pick on the worst starting QB in the NFL over the last 3 years. Don't kid yourself.

And BTW, everytime Rex gets involved in the offense during a game, the Jets either have a delay of game penalty or 12-men on the field penalty.

The guy is absolutely clueless what an NFL offense is all about.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post

Do we also have to take into consideration the 2009 team that was "ready made" but was bad enough to get the coach fired the year before, and starting a rookie QB. I know at the time you were saying a decent HC would take that team to the SB for sure. I agree Rex has made personnel mistakes, but now realize that he shouldn't be making personnel decisions. I don't know where this HOF head coach tree is that you guys seem to think it's so easy to find coaches with no deficiencies. You have a coach that takes a mediocre team, with no pass rushers, or QB to the championship game two years in a row you give him chances, and give him an OC, and a QB even if you have to get a GM that can protect him from himself. I've been a Jet fan long enough to know that we could do worse. Grossman, or Dilfer both would have made the playoffs with last years team. It's stupid to compare them to just how bad Sanchez played, and the other two QBs were no better.