Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Results 101 to 112 of 112

Thread: The Jets are about 2014 not 2013

  1. #101
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    684
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    Because it's just an ignorant assumption. We should have beaten the Pats last year. We should have beaten the Texans last year. We had no edge rusher, and our best player was hurt all year along with our NT. Sorry to inform you but a piss poor offense does have a big effect of the D, and field position, and how long they're out there. Also our special teams were terrible as well. I don't have to put out the stats to prove Ryan is a superior defense coach, it's a well know fact. Saying that Ryan is not an elite Defensive coach is clearly trolling, and you are clearly trolling.
    Don't gimme the shoulda woulda coulda stuff, you know how many teams can say the same thing? All of them.

    As for the bolded section, it looks to me like you're arguing that either all 3 phases of the Jets were piss poor last year, or the O and ST were so bad it brought down the D. You know who the blame is supposed to fall on when the ENTIRE TEAM looks bad? The guy who's in charge of overseeing the development of all 3 phases, aka the HC. Which Rex is. Not the DC, which Rex isn't. If the other 2 pieces are screwing his D up, maybe just maybe it's because Rex can't manage all 3? Maybe he's truly bitten off more than he can chew?

    And yes, please please show me some relevant stats that say that Rex is some elite DC who if we fired the Jets would cease to exist. Cause the proof sure as heck ain't in the scores his D gives up vs. quality and even some non-quality Os. It sure ain't in division titles and recent playoff appearances neither. I've gone through the trouble of showing the only stat that matters, 2012 scores, as it pertains to my argument. Show me where Ryan has been consistently shutting down the better teams and offenses in the league the last 2 seasons.

    It's his QB. His roster. His coaches. He's the HC and it's his 14-18 record (with some nice, Walton/Coslet-esque late season team meltdowns for good measure) since getting dusted in western PA. Yet he's Teflon to any blame, criticism, or scrutiny. This is plain insanity.

  2. #102
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    52,055
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Down, Set, Haiku View Post
    Don't gimme the shoulda woulda coulda stuff, you know how many teams can say the same thing? All of them.

    As for the bolded section, it looks to me like you're arguing that either all 3 phases of the Jets were piss poor last year, or the O and ST were so bad it brought down the D. You know who the blame is supposed to fall on when the ENTIRE TEAM looks bad? The guy who's in charge of overseeing the development of all 3 phases, aka the HC. Which Rex is. Not the DC, which Rex isn't. If the other 2 pieces are screwing his D up, maybe just maybe it's because Rex can't manage all 3? Maybe he's truly bitten off more than he can chew?

    And yes, please please show me some relevant stats that say that Rex is some elite DC who if we fired the Jets would cease to exist. Cause the proof sure as heck ain't in the scores his D gives up vs. quality and even some non-quality Os. It sure ain't in division titles and recent playoff appearances neither. I've gone through the trouble of showing the only stat that matters, 2012 scores, as it pertains to my argument. Show me where Ryan has been consistently shutting down the better teams and offenses in the league the last 2 seasons.

    It's his QB. His roster. His coaches. He's the HC and it's his 14-18 record (with some nice, Walton/Coslet-esque late season team meltdowns for good measure) since getting dusted in western PA. Yet he's Teflon to any blame, criticism, or scrutiny. This is plain insanity.
    The Rexaholics are going to bash you.

  3. #103
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    684
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    The Rexaholics are going to bash you.
    LOL... They bash anyone BUT Rex

  4. #104
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    hoboken
    Posts
    6,117
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Down, Set, Haiku View Post
    LOL... They bash anyone BUT Rex
    the problem is that you're subtly changing the argument. Not many here would argue that Rex is a great (or even good) head coach at this point. He is, however, good at two things - 1) being a buffoon and 2)coaching defense.

  5. #105
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    684
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by shuler82 View Post
    the problem is that you're subtly changing the argument. Not many here would argue that Rex is a great (or even good) head coach at this point. He is, however, good at two things - 1) being a buffoon and 2)coaching defense.
    Then let him go off somewhere and fulfill his destiny as a great DC, where he'll never ever have to worry about O & ST again, since that seems to be what he truly wants anyway. He's not a good HC, so why should he fulfill that role on this team?

  6. #106
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    684
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by shuler82 View Post
    the problem is that you're subtly changing the argument. Not many here would argue that Rex is a great (or even good) head coach at this point. He is, however, good at two things - 1) being a buffoon and 2)coaching defense.
    And yes, he is good at coaching D. The fact still remains that against potent Os his genius no longer shows up, he can bully a bad O / bad QB, and that even bad Os have opened something lovely on his D. At some point, reputation can no longer be your calling card if the results no longer follow.

  7. #107
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    hoboken
    Posts
    6,117
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Down, Set, Haiku View Post
    And yes, he is good at coaching D. The fact still remains that against potent Os his genius no longer shows up, he can bully a bad O / bad QB, and that even bad Os have opened something lovely on his D. At some point, reputation can no longer be your calling card if the results no longer follow.
    That's not entirely true. His defense has shown in most of the games you mentioned, but has broken down late in games after getting no assistance. The 49ers and Seattle games were competitive until turnovers and the lack of any offensive productions killed them later in the game. Houston and the Pats both had great offensive teams, and the defense held them in check. Even that horrible 2nd Pats game you can't entirely fault on the defense since 14 of the 21 points in the 2nd quarter burst had nothing to do with them.. and once a team is down by three+ touchdowns in the 2nd quarter, it might let up a little.

    I concede - the Jets defense has not shown up in some huge games, and they've had issues ending games... but over all, year after year the defense is the strength of the team while starting only a handful of players who would start on most other rosters.

  8. #108
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    7,775
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Down, Set, Haiku View Post
    Then let him go off somewhere and fulfill his destiny as a great DC, where he'll never ever have to worry about O & ST again, since that seems to be what he truly wants anyway. He's not a good HC, so why should he fulfill that role on this team?
    I'm trying to decide if the chick in your sig is geniunely hot or a butterface

  9. #109
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    684
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    I'm trying to decide if the chick in your sig is geniunely hot or a butterface






    Not the BEST face, still cute though. But her body, the fact that she can shred, and that she can cover darn near any Iron Maiden song puts her on the "extremely yes" end of the doable spectrum IMHO

    In other words, I'd stab that cabin. Daily

  10. #110
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    6,538
    Post Thanks / Like
    you can't automatically assume the jets won't contend next season. look at the doltfins a couple of seasons ago when all they had was a bunch of scrubs and chaddy at qb. they made the playoffs. the ting is that so much depends on things beyond the control of the team and the players. granted it will be tough because sanchez really needs to show something and they will need to replace the oline guards, lbs and safeties but you just never know. and while landry played well, he was also playing for a contract. i'm not sure if it will be wise to try to give him big money. he may go into the tank once he gets his payday.

    Quote Originally Posted by LeonM View Post
    The handwriting is on the wall. The Jets are not going to be a contending team in 2013. The team has gotten progressively worse since the AFC Championship loss to Pittsburgh in January of 2011.

    The Jets fell apart at the end of the 2011 season and then regressed further in 2012 to a 6 and 10 season. The 2013 Jets are going to be worse than they were in 2012. They are bringing back the league's worst starting quarterback in Mark Sanchez and they are going to trade their best player in Darrelle Revis. Combine that with all of the free agent losses upcoming of players like Laron Landry, Dustin Keller,Brandon Moore etc... What you have is a team in transition and on a downward trend.

    This begs the question as to why Rex Ryan is still here. The Jets should have closed the door and moved forward with a new era which has partially begun with John Idzik. This 2013 offseason is all about resetting the franchise for the 2014 season and beyond. Jets fans should not be in denial. Just look at the franchise objectively. The Jets are positioned to take another step backwards in 2013 before they can even begin to move forward in 2014.

    2014 represents what will probably be a brand new coaching staff and some major tweaks to the scouting department. These aspects should have started this current offseason but we are going to go through a poor season with poor expectations and a bad team stuck in neutral for one more year. Hopefully, the cap and draft moves set us up for a brighter future beyond this year. Another poor Jets season will come at a time when the Superbowl is in our shared stadium. It's going to be another rough year to be a Jets fan. Tough pill to swallow but it's the truth.

  11. #111
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    6,538
    Post Thanks / Like
    rex does deserve his fair share of the blame but we don't know how much he had to do with stocking the team or even the hiring of coaches. and i for one don't think sparano was as bad as people say. maybe he just wasn't that good at dealing with the egos of sanchez or holmes or anyone else. it's also important to see what moves the jets have made. they changed their offense and defense coaches. they changed their line coaches and many others. they had a rash of injuries and they changed their strength coach. these are not actions of people who don't have a clue. they took a hard look and made changes. now they have to work on the players and have a number of holes.

    as for the comment about the defense not being able to shut down the better offenses, firstly few defenses can. secondly losing revis hurt and having lbs like scott, pace, and thomas didn't help much either. and their dline is very young. not trying to make excuses but the defense played very well given their talent level and would have looked much better had the offense been able to score points.

    Quote Originally Posted by Down, Set, Haiku View Post
    Don't gimme the shoulda woulda coulda stuff, you know how many teams can say the same thing? All of them.

    As for the bolded section, it looks to me like you're arguing that either all 3 phases of the Jets were piss poor last year, or the O and ST were so bad it brought down the D. You know who the blame is supposed to fall on when the ENTIRE TEAM looks bad? The guy who's in charge of overseeing the development of all 3 phases, aka the HC. Which Rex is. Not the DC, which Rex isn't. If the other 2 pieces are screwing his D up, maybe just maybe it's because Rex can't manage all 3? Maybe he's truly bitten off more than he can chew?

    And yes, please please show me some relevant stats that say that Rex is some elite DC who if we fired the Jets would cease to exist. Cause the proof sure as heck ain't in the scores his D gives up vs. quality and even some non-quality Os. It sure ain't in division titles and recent playoff appearances neither. I've gone through the trouble of showing the only stat that matters, 2012 scores, as it pertains to my argument. Show me where Ryan has been consistently shutting down the better teams and offenses in the league the last 2 seasons.

    It's his QB. His roster. His coaches. He's the HC and it's his 14-18 record (with some nice, Walton/Coslet-esque late season team meltdowns for good measure) since getting dusted in western PA. Yet he's Teflon to any blame, criticism, or scrutiny. This is plain insanity.

  12. #112
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    3,589
    Post Thanks / Like
    2013 is basically for Idzik to find out if Rex can ever figure out how to build an offense. We know Rex can build a competent defense but it's the offense that has been the achilles heel.

    The problem is Rex has a crap QB in Sanchez and a total unknown in McElroy. Matt Flynn's name is thrown out there but let's be honest he's an unknown too.

    Not to mention the o-line will be worse next year too. With the cap problems it's almost like Rex is set up to fail.

    If Idzik really believes Rex can figure it out, then he should guarantee him for 2014 once he knows it. That'll allow this team to properly tank it in 2013 and get a top 5 draft pick next year, clear cap space, and make a run in 2014/2015.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us