Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A possible Revis trade I'd like

A possible Revis trade I'd like

My tolerance is wearing thin with Revis. I absolutely love the guy when he is playing, but he's already held out twice in his career and is demanding to be paid as much as a franchise QB. Now, he is b*tching about not being provided with answers, even though the trade rumors came out before we even hired our GM, and Idzik called Revis to clear the air the instant he was hired; what answer do we owe him at this point? We just made our first moves under the Idzik era yesterday with the cuts, what does Revis expect? We proved to be just fine without him, so I am starting to get on board with moving him this year. His demand for money makes me believe if we cannot offer him the money he wants next year, he will go where the money is.

So I have been thinking about possible scenarios and came up with one I think I really like. We have John Idzik as our new GM coming from Seattle. Seattle is looking to take that next step and get to the Super Bowl next year, and they would have to stop the likes of Matt Ryan, Colin Kaepernick, Aaron Rodgers, etc. to get there. What would you guys think of offering Darrelle Revis for Richard Sherman and Matt Flynn? For Seattle, Flynn is on the bench anyway and Revis is a clear upgrade over Sherman, so it could be looked at as Sherman for Revis straight up. For us, we would replace Revis with a slight downgrade but would still provide Rex and quality CB since his system relies on that position, and we would bring in a legit WCO guy to provide competition and possibly be our answer to the QB position. This way we do not need to address QB whatsoever in the draft or FA and can concentrate on finding our answer at OLB and offensive weapons. Another positive is we would be sending Revis to the NFC.

Quote Originally Posted by Beercules View Post
    My tolerance is wearing thin with Revis. I absolutely love the guy when he is playing, but he's already held out twice in his career and is demanding to be paid as much as a franchise QB. Now, he is b*tching about not being provided with answers, even though the trade rumors came out before we even hired our GM, and Idzik called Revis to clear the air the instant he was hired; what answer do we owe him at this point? We just made our first moves under the Idzik era yesterday with the cuts, what does Revis expect? We proved to be just fine without him, so I am starting to get on board with moving him this year. His demand for money makes me believe if we cannot offer him the money he wants next year, he will go where the money is.

So I have been thinking about possible scenarios and came up with one I think I really like. We have John Idzik as our new GM coming from Seattle. Seattle is looking to take that next step and get to the Super Bowl next year, and they would have to stop the likes of Matt Ryan, Colin Kaepernick, Aaron Rodgers, etc. to get there. What would you guys think of offering Darrelle Revis for Richard Sherman and Matt Flynn? For Seattle, Flynn is on the bench anyway and Revis is a clear upgrade over Sherman, so it could be looked at as Sherman for Revis straight up. For us, we would replace Revis with a slight downgrade but would still provide Rex and quality CB since his system relies on that position, and we would bring in a legit WCO guy to provide competition and possibly be our answer to the QB position. This way we do not need to address QB whatsoever in the draft or FA and can concentrate on finding our answer at OLB and offensive weapons. Another positive is we would be sending Revis to the NFC.
    I can't see any possible way Seattle would do that. Sherman himself is a Top 10 corner and Seatltle is already strong at CB, probably only behind Revis/Cro as best CB tandem. So for a slightly better CB than Sherman they would need to invest $8-10 million more a year in the CB position? Not happening.

That said. I do believe we will make a run at Flynn and there is a good chance we can get him for a not exorbitant amount.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    I can't see any possible way Seattle would do that. Sherman himself is a Top 10 corner and Seatltle is already strong at CB, probably only behind Revis/Cro as best CB tandem. So for a slightly better CB than Sherman they would need to invest $8-10 million more a year in the CB position? Not happening.
    +1

This trade makes no sense for Seattle.

Caught last part of a Atlanta Falcons fan call into Pat Kirwan on Sirius NFL radio yesterday and he wants Atl to go after Revis. Kirwan proposed Revis for Roddy White. Pat didn't go much further (any picks involved) but it was an interesting thought

Edit: I didn't realize R White is 31 yrs old. Thought he was alittle younger
    Last edited by C Mart; 02-20-2013 at 11:06 AM.

All League
    From a Seattle perspective (putting on that ugly colored hat) I think signing Revis would be an issue b/c he's coming off of an injury. Your assuming that he will be back to his playing standard while signing him to a long term contract. Now, you can buffer that with playing game incentives, but that leaves Revis at risk of signing a contract that Seattle can get out off. Does he want that? He's going to demand a 5-6 year $65 - $85 mill contract. So a large contract like that will take some time to work through, language etc.

Secondly, the Jets deserve no less than a 1st rounder for Revis. At best Flynn is a 3rd round straight up trade for draft pick. If he has success that draft pick could be worth a 2nd rounder. Is Revis worth a 2nd rounder and a starting CB? From the Jets perspective finding a Franchise QB is worth any amount of money or players. It will be hard for Flynn to succeed without proper pieces in place but I will say that IF Seattle traded Sherman (who will also demand a new contract) and Flynn with a 3rd rounder, then yes this trade makes sense from a Jets perspective. Your getting a cheaper CB say $4m a year for Sherman and a Starting QB. You would have to trade or release Sanchez unless they re-negotiate his contract this year, but next year your cap will be very good. The key would be getting that extra draft pick from Seattle. If he could swing that, I would say yes.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Caught last part of a Atlanta Falcons fan call into Pat Kirwan on Sirius NFL radio yesterday and he wants Atl to go after Revis. Kirwan proposed Revis for Roddy White. Pat didn't go much further (any picks involved) but it was an interesting thought

Edit: I didn't realize R White is 31 yrs old. Thought he was alittle younger
    Trade for a 31 yo WR for the best player at his position in the league? White probably has 3 years of top flight production left maybe less. He isn't worth a 1st round pick staight up, so no I wouldn't do this trade.

Quote Originally Posted by Beercules View Post

IMO Richard Sherman is the 2nd best corner in the league and is 24 years old and will make 550,000 this year and next. Even if he was the 5th best corner how in a million years could this make sense. He is younger Than Revis , is their 2nd most popular player on the team and in 3 years when Revis is 31 will most likely be better than Revis. Throw in the fact that Seatle only has 12 mill of cap room this year (after rookies) and will need to spend that and more to lock him up.

What about Cinci, they have the cap room and hall is in his last year similar to Revis, but will be cheaper to keep long term and still leave the jets with one of the best CB duos in the league so that rex's D scheme won't be affected.
    Last edited by patman; 02-20-2013 at 11:25 AM.

I think Browner and Flynn could be a possibility.

Would still prefer picks.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    IMO Richard Sherman is the 2nd best corner in the league and is 24 years old and will make 550,000 this year and next. Even if he was the 5th best corner how in a million years could this make sense. He is younger Than Revis , is their 2nd most popular player on the team and in 3 years when Revis is 31 will most likely be better than Revis. Throw in the fact that Seatle only has 12 mill of cap room this year (after rookies) and will need to spend that and more to lock him up.

What about Cinci, they have the cap room and hall is in his last year similar to Revis, but will be cheaper to keep long term and still leave the jets with one of the best CB duos in the league so that rex's D scheme won't be affected.
    I had mentioned Cinci a while back as well, they also have two second round draft picks this year. People dismissed it because Cinci has never really paid top dollar for players.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by BrickHouse View Post
    Trade for a 31 yo WR for the best player at his position in the league? White probably has 3 years of top flight production left maybe less. He isn't worth a 1st round pick staight up, so no I wouldn't do this trade.
    Revis is coming off an ACL tear. There is a chance he might have no years left, especially is he re-injures it. I think he will be fine but there are question marks. It is a tricky situation.

Personally, I want picks for Revis. I would prefer 2014 picks so we can use them to move up for a QB if need be.

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    I had mentioned Cinci a while back as well, they also have two second round draft picks this year. People dismissed it because Cinci has never really paid top dollar for players.
    they haven't, but to keep Hall they will need to spend 8-9, if revis is willing to sign for 12 or so they may think he is worth the 50% premium. I am sure they kick thier ass that the didn't sign joseph for the 8 a year it would have took

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Is 2 second round picks in this draft plus leon hall and a conditional pick in 2014 enough?

Personally I think it is. We gain back the franchise tag, get 2 additional picks in a draft with a very strong second round and get a solid NFL player at the same position.

Quote Originally Posted by BrickHouse View Post
    Like I mentioned it was a quick thought/idea by Kirwan. Atl would most likely have to include a pick or two.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsman51 View Post
    I think Browner and Flynn could be a possibility.

Would still prefer picks.
    You have to find a team with the cap room to sign him, and no- you won't get a younger pro bowl corner in return. Vontae Davis got a #2 from the team that had the worse record in the league, which at the time most though was going to be in the low 30s. and he is no where near the player Browner is. Do you understand how valuable a probowl corner is who makes 500,000 a year is?
    Bang for your buck, Seattle has by far the best secondary in the league.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Is 2 second round picks in this draft plus leon hall and a conditional pick in 2014 enough?

Personally I think it is. We gain back the franchise tag, get 2 additional picks in a draft with a very strong second round and get a solid NFL player at the same position.
    Honestly, I would take the two seconds and a conditional in 2014 without Hall in the deal.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post

I think the 2nd is the best you can ask for and no way you get it this year. Remember Revis will not even be able to work out at the time this trade is made.

I think the 2nd is the best you can ask for and no way you get it this year. Remember Revis will not even be able to work out at the time this trade is made.
    Not necessarily true. Jets could grant permission for him to workout/speak to perspective teams.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

No chance Seattle does that

Ljr

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Like I mentioned it was a quick thought/idea by Kirwan. Atl would most likely have to include a pick or two.
    HOw about Julio JOnes?

All Pro
    You have to find a team with the cap room to sign him, and no- you won't get a younger pro bowl corner in return. Vontae Davis got a #2 from the team that had the worse record in the league, which at the time most though was going to be in the low 30s. and he is no where near the player Browner is. Do you understand how valuable a probowl corner is who makes 500,000 a year is?
    Bang for your buck, Seattle has by far the best secondary in the league.
    500,000 holy crap! Maybe the Jets should use that figure to knock some reality into Revis's head. Sorta like, instead of matching the highest paid players, how about the median?