Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alternative to NFL Sunday Ticket?

Alternative to NFL Sunday Ticket?

Hey guys... looking to the board for some help here. Moved to the Raleigh NC area almost 3 years ago. Currently I have the Sunday ticket to watch my Jets.
    At this point, I have had enough with DirectTV. Seems like our cable goes out every other month and we have to spend 2 hours on phone with support, they send us new DVRs only to go through the whole thing over again. Add the cost to the situation and I have had enough, DirectTV has got to go.
    I am looking into alternatives for viewing the game from home and wanted some suggestions. I have a sweet setup (home theater) so hooking my laptop up to my receiver for anything online is an option. Game Rewind on NFL.com is my top choice - love everything about it except that I have to wait until midnight to view the game.
    I appreciate any and all options that you guys might suggest. Thanks in advance!!!

You can get Sunday ticket with PS3 game console

Perfect... I have a PS3. That will work. Mods, you can close this thread!!!

the only issue with getting it on a PS3 is the fact that they will not be flexible on the price since you are not a customer. expect to pay the entire ridiculous amount

Veteran
    I was looking into the same thing since I moved to DC. I still travel back for the home games, but could only stream the away games. They're also poor quality. The NFL ticket is on PS3 is $300. Feels a little steep to stream a few games. But, I don't think there is any other real time option that has decent quality.

North Carolina?

There's a strong group of 100 or so Jets fans down there that gather for all the Jets games.

Here's a link to their website: http://www.charlottejetsfans.com/1/

I happen to know some of them as when some of them come up they usually join in at our tailgate over at L7.

Not sure how far the distance between Raleigh and Charlotte are, but they are a good group. I am hoping to find my way down there for the Jets/Panthers game this season. Will be a huge tailgate.

You can get it without the PS3 too. Online only. I had it this season. $300.

If you know someone you trust that subscribes to Sunday Ticket, they can add online streaming for $50 and can share their login info with you.

Thanks for the replies.

Charlotte is about two hours away. There some phenomenal sports bars around here as well, but I am looking for in home options. I work 2 jobs so I like to spend my weekends with my family.

I understand the streaming might come in at a lower quality and the other downside is I can't record the game. And $300 is a bit high... one of the great things about DirectTV was we haggled the price down.

Does anyone have the Game Rewind from NFL.com? How is the quality on that? Loved everything about it except that you had to wait until after the sunday night game was over to watch any game.

I have been a Direct TV customer for many many years and have not had one problem with them at all. It sounds to me like either your dish is out of date or alignment or the wiring is not done correctly. I would ask for a supervisor to come in and check the installation from top to bottom

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Sec340 View Post
    You can get Sunday ticket with PS3 game console
    So you are saying that if I am tired of my "eye sore" annoying dish, I can get rid of it and use just a PS3? Id be willing to pay more. How is the quiality? same as having the dish?

Jets Insider VIP
    Not sure if this still works because I haven't had DTV in many years. So you may want to check into it first and find out if it is still possible.

You need someone that has DirecTV and gets Sunday Ticket. If you do, tell them you will pay for them to get an extra box and half the cost of the Sunday Ticket. Use that box at your house in NC. You already have the dish. DirecTV's signal doesn't know what dish it is sending the signal to, it is the activated card that allows the signal to work on your box. You just can't plug the box into the phone line.

Again, not sure if the technology has changed but may be worth a try.

Jets Insider VIP
    What about a slingbox? Does anyone have experience with those?

Quote Originally Posted by Hells Bells View Post

Does anyone have the Game Rewind from NFL.com? How is the quality on that? Loved everything about it except that you had to wait until after the sunday night game was over to watch any game.
    I got Game Rewind for the first time this year. The quality was excellent. For the first 10-15 seconds it would be slightly blurry but then it was HD throughout the rest. You can also watch the shortened versions of the game (i.e. chopping out commercials, halftime, between play BS, etc.). They shorten them to 30 minutes which is great.

Again, the only issue is that you cannot watch it live. I do believe they offer a package where you can watch live, but I'm not sure of the cost. IIRC, Game Rewind was cheap...like 70 bucks or something. I recommend it if you're willing to wait to watch.

If the game rewind game in a live package, I would be done with this thread. From everything I read about it, it does not appear to be an option. Even if it were available directly after the game was played I would be happy.

There is NFL Gamepass which is ideally what I am looking for, but for some reason it is only available OUTSIDE the US. Which makes no sense to me... I am assuming the networks are responsible for that just like they are probably responsible for the game rewind not being able to be viewed until mid-night.

Veteran
    Make sure you check out Oh'Mulligans off airport blvd, jets bar.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by rmeyer52 View Post
    I have been a Direct TV customer for many many years and have not had one problem with them at all. It sounds to me like either your dish is out of date or alignment or the wiring is not done correctly. I would ask for a supervisor to come in and check the installation from top to bottom
    I agree with this. We had a similar problem as the op and it turned out the dish needed to be adjusted.

Hey guys... looking to the board for some help here. Moved to the Raleigh NC area almost 3 years ago. Currently I have the Sunday ticket to watch my Jets.
    At this point, I have had enough with DirectTV. Seems like our cable goes out every other month and we have to spend 2 hours on phone with support, they send us new DVRs only to go through the whole thing over again. Add the cost to the situation and I have had enough, DirectTV has got to go.
    I am looking into alternatives for viewing the game from home and wanted some suggestions. I have a sweet setup (home theater) so hooking my laptop up to my receiver for anything online is an option. Game Rewind on NFL.com is my top choice - love everything about it except that I have to wait until midnight to view the game.
    I appreciate any and all options that you guys might suggest. Thanks in advance!!!
    I live in Apex and have had Directv and the NFL package for years with no trouble. I call every August and complain and they reduce what I pay. Get the fvck out of Cary. That was your first mistake. J&S has the best pizza in the state. On 55 across from Apex Middle school and La Cocina on Lake Pine and 64 is the best Mexican around. You're welcome

Alternative to NFL Sunday Ticket? Thanks in advance!!!

It`s what I do now. Screw wasting time at football games.