Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Phil Hughes

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Phil Hughes

Out for a few weeks with a bulging disc.

What a shocker.

Way to detect this in the off season when he could have done something about it.

Its not like he hasnt been prone to back problems.

-

Hall Of Fame
    LOL.

Very good chance this is his last year with the team. I think he has never developed in to the pitcher the Yanks hoped he'd become. Had one great half-season in 2010 but outside of that he has been poor. And I think the Yanks are fed up with him, this is not the first time he has come into camp out of shape. In years past they have questioned his weight and conditioning.

Hall Of Fame
    Unban Sean Ryan so you will have someone to talk to about this.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Dump, Hughes that is.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    LOL.

Very good chance this is his last year with the team. I think he has never developed in to the pitcher the Yanks hoped he'd become. Had one great half-season in 2010 but outside of that he has been poor. And I think the Yanks are fed up with him, this is not the first time he has come into camp out of shape. In years past they have questioned his weight and conditioning.
    Unless Hughes tanks this season it is absolutely his last year in pinstripes. He will want a deal in the neighborhood of 3-4 years and $30-40 mil and he will get it from someone. This is baseball even JAG starting pitchers get the big contract in free agency.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

I feel his pain with the bulging disc. Literally. Unfortunately for him that's not something that just goes away.

I like Hughes hope he gets well. I wouldn't be shocked if we traded him and Nova though. I think we have some good young pitchers that will enter the league this year and both could be traded for IF prospects. By the trade deadline I think we will be selling this year.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    I feel his pain with the bulging disc. Literally. Unfortunately for him that's not something that just goes away.
    I had one taken care of nearly 26 years ago (laminectomy L5-S1), and my back is not even an afterthought in anything I do for nearly all of those years since. I'm sure the surgery is even more precise now. This should have been addressed in the off-season, imho. This is no new thing with Phil.

-

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    I like Hughes hope he gets well. I wouldn't be shocked if we traded him and Nova though. I think we have some good young pitchers that will enter the league this year and both could be traded for IF prospects. By the trade deadline I think we will be selling this year.
    Only way that happens is if CC has a season ending injury.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    I had one taken care of nearly 26 years ago (laminectomy L5-S1), and my back is not even an afterthought in anything I do for nearly all of those years since. I'm sure the surgery is even more precise now. This should have been addressed in the off-season, imho. This is no new thing with Phil.

-
    Yeah you're right. I think I'm going to need that surgery sooner than later. I've been putting it off.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Yeah you're right. I think I'm going to need that surgery sooner than later. I've been putting it off.
    You want to avoid permanent damage to the sciatic nerve. The longer there is pressure on it, the better the chance it is permanently affected. Also, if one of your legs is affected, you get weakness and possible even atrophy (as was my case)..then you compensate and your whole body goes out of whack.

I think I was walking the same day, in and out in 2 1/2 and that was a lifetime ago.

-

You want to avoid permanent damage to the sciatic nerve. The longer there is pressure on it, the better the chance it is permanently affected. Also, if one of your legs is affected, you get weakness and possible even atrophy (as was my case)..then you compensate and your whole body goes out of whack.

I think I was walking the same day, in and out in 2 1/2 and that was a lifetime ago.

-
    Usedtobeacop or usedtobeasurgeon?

All Pro
    That's cause you didn't see me about it.

Depends on how bad Hughes is, where exactly it is, how long he's had it without getting treatment, and where his weight it. Losing 30 pounds from when he got pudgy is a good place to start.

Unfortunately, pitching involves a large amount of torque and bending, which is not ideal for a bulging disc. Getting usedtobeacop to feel able to work every day is a much easier than getting it stabilized to be a professional athlete.

All Pro
    Try decompression first. Some surgeries go well, and no major problems. Some don't, and you need multiple surgeries to fix the first. Plus, once you cut, it is not as strong as it was originally, and you are way to young for that.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    Usedtobeacop or usedtobeasurgeon?
    :Usedtohaveabadback:

-

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Quote Originally Posted by chirorob View Post
    Try decompression first. Some surgeries go well, and no major problems. Some don't, and you need multiple surgeries to fix the first. Plus, once you cut, it is not as strong as it was originally, and you are way to young for that.
    As a chiro, this not unexpected.

Btw, the incision I had all those years ago was very small, maybe 2 inches?

I'm sure there is alot less cutting now.

Anyway, always smart to investigate non-surgical approaches first.

-

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Suddenly the "chiro" in chirorob makes sense.

I'm going to shoot you a PM later this evening if you don't mind. I've got a shot back for an otherwise healthy 28 year old.

All Pro
    As a chiro, this not unexpected.

Btw, the incision I had all those years ago was very small, maybe 2 inches?

I'm sure there is alot less cutting now.

Anyway, always smart to investigate non-surgical approaches first.

-
    2 years ago, my wife was working out with a trainer at the gym. My wife is fit, ex-gymnast (yes, I married UP). He was a dick, had her do too much weight, and herniated L4/5 and L5/S1. We tried everything conservative, no help. 1st surgery, "non invasive" helped for about 6 months. Then came the spinal fusion, now comes the second spinal fusion.

Happens all the time with people, they have the surgery, joint area is compromised, 5 years later, more surgery. It has nothing to do with the size of the scar, all scars are smaller now. Try everything first, surgery last. Some go real well. Some go real bad. Thing is, if you try rehab, and chiropractic, and decompression, and it doesn't work, all you have lost is a little time and some cash. If you do surgery first, and it doesn't work, you are S.O.L. for the rest of your life.

All Pro
    Suddenly the "chiro" in chirorob makes sense.

I'm going to shoot you a PM later this evening if you don't mind. I've got a shot back for an otherwise healthy 28 year old.
    Any way I can help, let me know.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Any way I can help, let me know.
    Thanks man. PM sent.