Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Cheese Corner

Hall Of Fame

The Cheese Corner

Stinky french style cheese - who's in? I'm guessing me, Borg, Claude LeGhey, and JungleShift/Flushing.

Paulie? Maybe a sharp english countryside cheese. Stokes? Probably a light Italian cheese with the most mild of stink. The rest of you Kraft Singles types? F*** no..

Scored some in Montreal on Valentines Day.

The soft one in front, not so bad. The others - clothes pin on the nose.

Jets Insider VIP
    Boar's Head has a new 3 Pepper Jack cheese. Very good.

Best cheese experience of my life was as a culinary student in France. We knew several renowned affineurs (persons who "finish" the cheese in their caves before they are released for consumption) who exposed us to some of the most amazing cheeses you can imagine.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    Best cheese experience of my life was as a culinary student in France. We knew several renowned affineurs (persons who "finish" the cheese in their caves before they are released for consumption) who exposed us to some of the most amazing cheeses you can imagine.
    if i see cave-aged cheese I'll buy it. kind of like old-vines wine.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    if i see cave-aged cheese I'll buy it. kind of like old-vines wine.
    It's the only properly finished cheese.

All League
    Send the Heady Topper West!!!

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Always fond of the Stinky Bishop.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by 2milehighJet View Post
    Send the Heady Topper West!!!
    they just doubled the size of the brewery, but i don't think they'll be sending it any further. it will now sell out in two days instead of one - hopefully.

All League
    Recently Ive been geeting some great local goat cheeses. Gouda, feta, humboldt fog, iberico, drunken, chili jack. I prefer a sauvignon blanc with the cheeses.

:pinkyinair:

Timmy: As you love Apremont, look into the cheeses of the Savoie, where both products are made. My favorites are Reblochon, Tomme de Savoie, Beaufort, and Raclette. The last one you enjoy melted over bread, meats and pickled vegetables. Incredible.

Hall Of Fame
    Timmy: As you love Apremont, look into the cheeses of the Savoie, where both products are made. My favorites are Reblochon, Tomme de Savoie, Beaufort, and Raclette. The last one you enjoy melted over bread, meats and pickled vegetables. Incredible.
    i will definitely do this, i once brought home a savoie cheese by dumb luck, and enjoyed it. Tomme de Savoie sounds familiar.

i can't go too high up the stink scale though. for years i wanted to try some
    chimay cheese, made by the monks who make Chimay ale. as Paulie would say, whoa. even well wrapped, the smell was overtaking my car. that was a few years ago, maybe i'm ready for it now.

Jets Insider VIP
    Stinky french style cheese - who's in? I'm guessing me, Borg, Claude LeGhey, and JungleShift/Flushing.

Paulie? Maybe a sharp english countryside cheese. Stokes? Probably a light Italian cheese with the most mild of stink. The rest of you Kraft Singles types? F*** no..

Is that some kind of hand repair moisturizer in the background right on the table? Chaffed palms Timmy??

Jets Insider VIP
    I gave up cheese for Lent. It's only been a week, but I've dropped 4lbs and constantly want to kill myself.

Feta cheese right here.

Jets Insider VIP

Claude Le Ghey in the house

For a correctly presented cheese assortiment you would need 3-4 cheeses (to be taken from the weakest to the strongest):

My top 3:

- A camemebert 'done' (meaning like wine, the cheese should be kept at room temp for about 3-4 hours. when the room starts to stink, you're good to go ). Camembert is the French cheese. In Normandie they also take some salted butter with it. Very good.

Done, it should leak like this

- I also love me some St Felicien: when it’s done correctly it’s really creamy, almost liquid cheese

- A 24 month aged Comté is to die for. It’s aged so much you can taste the salty crystals in it. Can also be replaced by an equally aged mimolette (a bit like cheddar) which can have the same salty crystals too.

Not a big fan of blue cheeses (except for gorgonzola) or goat cheese (too dry)

PS: When you sending over my 4 pack biatch?
    Last edited by RaoulDuke; 02-21-2013 at 03:57 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    I enjoy those as well.

During the summer we melt a camemebert on the bbq (put it in tin foil).

Then just dip your bread in

Last edited by RaoulDuke; 02-21-2013 at 04:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post

OMG. That looks so good. Invite me over. I'll bring the wine.

Not sure if I mentioned it in the past, but one of my favorite cheese experiences in France was perfectly aged Saint-Marcellin. I still dream about it's scent and flavor. Bought it imported here in the U.S. once, but it was not the same.

As for blue cheese, I'm biased, but think the mild Gorgonzola Dolcelatte is the best, and amazing topped on steaming hot polenta. When I'm in the mood for a stronger blue, I always go for Bleu d'Auvergne.

Jets Insider VIP
    OMG. That looks so good. Invite me over. I'll bring the wine.

Not sure if I mentioned it in the past, but one of my favorite cheese experiences in France was perfectly aged Saint-Marcellin. I still dream about it's scent and flavor. Bought it imported here in the U.S. once, but it was not the same.

As for blue cheese, I'm biased, but think the mild Gorgonzola Dolcelatte is the best, and amazing topped on steaming hot polenta. When I'm in the mood for a stronger blue, I always go for Bleu d'Auvergne.
    St Marcellin and St Felicien are very similar. If I closed my eyes I'd prolly have a hard time differenciating the two.

Bleu d'Auvergne is perfectly matched with pears. Try it. Actually cheese in general goes well with grapes or pears. My mother in laws does a sort of tart with pears and bleu d'Auvergne.....ZOMG

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Just when I thought the "Low" in "New Hampur Low" had been reached, I click on this thread and find out...... its not a joke.

-

Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    St Marcellin and St Felicien are very similar. If I closed my eyes I'd prolly have a hard time differenciating the two.

Bleu d'Auvergne is perfectly matched with pears. Try it. Actually cheese in general goes well with grapes or pears. My mother in laws does a sort of tart with pears and bleu d'Auvergne.....ZOMG
    Did not know this. Thanks.

We always include sliced pear and assorted grapes with cheese, as well as olives I dress in lemon zest and herbs. I know purists don't want you to eat fine cheese with bread, but I just can't have one without the other. That's the great part about being Italian; we don't give a crap about convention. If it tastes good, go.

The tart sounds insanely good. Might need to look up a recipe.

One day, buy the drinks and I'll give you the recipe for a dish we cooked in France, "Gnocchi au Roquefort". Basically, pâte ŕ choux quenelles baked in cream and roquefort. When they exit the oven, they're puffed and melt in your mouth. Essentially, an orgasm on a fork.