Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rex and Idzik Press Conferences from the Combine-Thursday at 4:00 (02/21)

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey McG... you have a gif for that?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    Hey McG... you have a gif for that?
    That may very well be the one thing I DON'T have a gif for.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    @MMehtaNYDN: Rex Ryan on teams showing interest in Darrelle Revis: "No team has approached me about Darrelle..." #nyj

Hey Rex, has any team called Idzik, he is the GM.
    LOL.

Would like to see what the second half of that quote is. Does he deflect it to Idzik? For instance, "no team has contacted me but you would have to speak to John, that is his area"

Might be wishful thinking on my part.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    @DWAZ73: The #Jets know reports saying they want to trade Revis/Tebow undermine their ability to do so, so it makes sense to say otherwise now.

There's a reason Jets can't slam door on Revis talk

By Clark Judge | Senior NFL Columnist
    February 21, 2013 5:45 pm ET

INDIANAPOLIS -- The New York Jets insist they're not interested in trading cornerback Darrelle Revis. So why don't we believe them?

If you listened to general manager John Idzik and coach Rex Ryan tap dance around the subject on Thursday, you'd know. Given the chance to end speculation by just saying, "no," they did just enough bobbing and weaving to make you think there's something to the idea.

"We recognize Darrelle's a great player," said Ryan, "and I would say, 'Could there be a trade? Yeah, anybody could be traded.' But do I expect there to be a trade for Darrelle Revis? No. But that doesn't mean something couldn't come up."

That's not what I'd call slamming the door on the subject and for good reason: Because the Jets should consider the idea, and I'll tell you why.

First of all, the guy wants top dollar in a renegotiated contract, which means $15 million or $16 million a year. That's OK if your name is Matt Stafford or Matt Ryan -- but not Darrelle Revis. Cornerbacks don't make that kind of money. An elite pass rusher? It happened with Mario Williams -- but as an unrestricted free agent -- and look how that turned out. An elite quarterback? Naturally. But an elite cornerback? Nope.

Second, the Jets have a zillion cap concerns that they've begun to address with the releases of veteran players. They don't have a guard, a tight end or a running back of consequence under contract for next year, nor do they have either of their starting safeties signed.

Third, they were 6-10 last season without Revis and wide receiver Santonio Holmes, their best player on offense. They were 8-8 the year before. So they're only two games worse without their best defensive player and offensive players? By comparison, Indianapolis went from 10-6 in 2010 with Peyton Manning to 2-14 a year later without him.

Fourth, name the one club that last year did not allow a 100-yard receiver. It was the New York Jets, and they got there without Revis. Yes, he's a terrific player, but, no, he's not indispensible.

Plus, look what happened to Dallas a year ago, when it shelled out $50 million for the best free-agent cornerback on the market, Brandon Carr. Nothing. The Cowboys went from an 8-8 team in 2011 to an 8-8 team one year later.

The question, of course, is what Revis could command in a deal, especially coming off a serious knee injury. Conventional wisdom says it still could be a first-round draft pick ... and maybe then some. Except, talking to a handful of league sources at this year's scouting combine, there's a feeling that might be a stretch; that Revis is overvalued and might not be worthy of a first-round pick in return.

If that's the case, the Jets are in a pickle.

Revis is under contract for another season, then becomes an unrestricted free agent. As part of his contract, if he doesn't hold out, the Jets can't protect him as their 2014 franchise player -- which means he walks. That's a big deal for a couple of reasons: 1) They lose a premier player, and 2) According to reports, they'd get hit with $9 million in dead money in 2014 if he leaves as a free agent. So they either pay the guy now or have him walk in a year.

We already demonstrated why they shouldn't make him the league's highest-paid defender. So then what? Well, then you test his trade value. And while the Jets say they're not interested, they should be.

"What we want is a good end result," Idzik said. "What's good for Darrelle is good for the New York Jets."

Precisely.

He wants money the Jets can't afford, and they're nowhere close to a playoff team, even with him. So see what's out there. And if there's a deal that appeals to them, satisfy Revis with a trade and start rebuilding for the future with the draft picks that you gain in return.

Simple, huh? Not exactly. While Revis might find the money that he wants elsewhere, it's going to be hard for anyone to pay $15 million or $16 million a year for a cornerback -- which makes a trade tricky. But that doesn't mean the Jets shouldn't consider one. They should. And listening to them Thursday, it sounds as if they know it.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/cl...-on-revis-talk

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes9 View Post
    Or as it's more commonly known, "logical, rational thought coupled with deductive reasoning".

:-)
    something no Tebow fan has ever demonstrated

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Women's intuition, huh? I'm skeptical. I've been burned before.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    Sorry to hear that, mine is about 99% infallible.
    Yet you are a Jets fan. That makes you at best 50% fallible.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Boom. Roasted.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Umm, yeah, many of us have

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcat View Post
    Yet you are a Jets fan. That makes you at best 50% fallible.
    LOL - touche! Is there an icon for that?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Man, love Rex and have great hope for our new GM, but learn to just STFU. Answer the question once with what ever boiler plate they wish to use and then follow up every question on the subject with " I believe we have answered that question, next question please. Do a Belichick routine on them over and over. If the media pukes wish to waste the whole press conference on the same question, so be it. An in the end you get, last question, and again answer with, " I believe we have answered that question. Thanks you all for coming and we look forward to seeing you all very soon. :-)

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm so sick of Rex talking. Stfu already .
    I may have to tune him out , just like his players have the last few years

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, Idzik is looking impressive and ultra-professional. Rex OTOH needs to learn English and grammar.
    Yeah, and I'm sure you are just the person to give it to him.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, Idzik is looking impressive and ultra-professional. Rex OTOH needs to learn English and grammar.
    Not a requirement for the Jet's success.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    @nyjets: :#RL Idzik from Indy: "We're going to have a mantra: 'Competition through and through.' You want genuine competition at every position."
    I'm liking Idzik already...no more Rex handing spots to that plodder Shonn Greene and Cement feet Eric Smith.....spots should be earned

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry to hear that, mine is about 99% infallible.
    That's what the 2 ex-wives thought. But could you PM me some lottery numbers?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    The question, of course, is what Revis could command in a deal, especially coming off a serious knee injury. Conventional wisdom says it still could be a first-round draft pick ... and maybe then some. Except, talking to a handful of league sources at this year's scouting combine, there's a feeling that might be a stretch; that Revis is overvalued and might not be worthy of a first-round pick in return.

If that's the case, the Jets are in a pickle.

Revis is under contract for another season, then becomes an unrestricted free agent. As part of his contract, if he doesn't hold out, the Jets can't protect him as their 2014 franchise player -- which means he walks. That's a big deal for a couple of reasons: 1) They lose a premier player, and 2) According to reports, they'd get hit with $9 million in dead money in 2014 if he leaves as a free agent. So they either pay the guy now or have him walk in a year.
    [/URL]
    what I've been saying all offseason . If any team offers a first for revis jump at it, and hope he will sign an extension with that team.(if not your going to get a lot less back in a trade)

So all this multiple picks Jet fans are expecting for dealing Revis isn't happening. The next move is do you make him one of the highest defensive players in the game or trade him for a lot less than he worth.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The injury is the killer, it would be cut and dried that the jets could get at least a 2nd this year and a conditional pick next year if he signed a long term deal.
    Now on the 3rd day of the league year, he gets a mill, then he gets 2 more mill in May for taking part in the off season program. That means when he is traded it becomes a 12 mill cap hit if a team waits until he gets on the field.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

By Clark Judge | Senior NFL Columnist
    February 21, 2013 5:45 pm ET

Fourth, name the one club that last year did not allow a 100-yard receiver. It was the New York Jets, and they got there without Revis. Yes, he's a terrific player, but, no, he's not indispensable.

Plus, look what happened to Dallas a year ago, when it shelled out $50 million for the best free-agent cornerback on the market, Brandon Carr. Nothing. The Cowboys went from an 8-8 team in 2011 to an 8-8 team one year later.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/cl...-on-revis-talk
    bumping for interesting tidbit. no idea we actually accomplished something like that

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOne View Post
    bumping for interesting tidbit. no idea we actually accomplished something like that
    Even if you account for the falling behind and people running on us, that's pretty impressive in today's game

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    Even if you account for the falling behind and people running on us, that's pretty impressive in today's game
    it also shows how much more ineptitude suckchez was.