Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tony Pauline: Jets Interested in Vikes OG via FA?

Tony Pauline: Jets Interested in Vikes OG via FA?

@TonyPauline: Continue to hear the name Geoff Schwartz/OL coupled with the New York Jets once free agency starts; JetsBlog Podcast: http://t.co/fZ23WbvB

Title should be OL.
    Last edited by C Mart; 02-20-2013 at 07:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    @TonyPauline: Continue to hear the name Geoff Schwartz/OL coupled with the New York Jets once free agency starts; JetsBlog Podcast: http://t.co/fZ23WbvB

Title should be OL.

Sign me up.

He won't cost much, he has starting ability, and he provides excellent versatility as a guard and tackle.

We have been pretty fortunate that Brick hasn't missed any time in his career. Up until last year, it was probably the one injury we could least afford to have happen.

If we were to get Schwartz and for some reason Brick got hurt for an extended period of time, while it wouldn't be pretty, we could at least survive it. Schwartz has experience at RT and Howard started a few games at LT when he was on the Eagles. Again, not a situation I'd want, but it certainly wouldn't be a season crippler or one akin to Mangold's injury in 2011.

My only concern is health. He missed all of 2011 with I believe back injuries. He was able to play last year, so maybe he's put it behind him. Regardless, these are the kind of smart but cheap acquisitions we should be looking at this offseason.

Hall Of Fame
    Would he be an upgrade over Slauson and/or Moore?

Only started 19 games since 2009.

Cheap depth and or competition at RG/RT. Wouldn't be opposed to it.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Would he be an upgrade over Slauson and/or Moore?

Only started 19 games since 2009.
    My math skills are going with age, somebody help me here:
    (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ycn-11144146 )

"After being drafted in the seventh round of the 2008 NFL Draft, Schwartz quickly caught on as the starting right guard for the Panthers. Throughout his tenure in Carolina, he played in 32 games, including 19 starts. Unfortunately, a hip injury forced him to sit out the entire 2011 season. When he became a restricted free agent at the end of the season, the Panthers opted not to the tender the promising guard, effectively making him an unrestricted free agent."

So he was at Carolina '08, '09, '10. That's 48 potental games, of which he started only 19 and played 13 others. That hardly sounds like he "quickly caught on as the starting right guard" for the Panthers.

Then he's hurt for a year, and in 2012 he couldn't win the starting position with the Vikings.

And he's really good why? What am I missing?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsNeedNewton View Post
    My math skills are going with age, somebody help me here:
    (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ycn-11144146 )

"After being drafted in the seventh round of the 2008 NFL Draft, Schwartz quickly caught on as the starting right guard for the Panthers. Throughout his tenure in Carolina, he played in 32 games, including 19 starts. Unfortunately, a hip injury forced him to sit out the entire 2011 season. When he became a restricted free agent at the end of the season, the Panthers opted not to the tender the promising guard, effectively making him an unrestricted free agent."

So he was at Carolina '08, '09, '10. That's 48 potental games, of which he started only 19 and played 13 others. That hardly sounds like he "quickly caught on as the starting right guard" for the Panthers.

Then he's hurt for a year, and in 2012 he couldn't win the starting position with the Vikings.

And he's really good why? What am I missing?
    He's not really good.

This would be a depth signing, nothing more.

Better than the Landolt's or Ducasse's seeing significant playing time if someone goes down.

Hall Of Fame
    I agree. Doesn't seem like an upgrade. Maybe they are bringing him in for depth and plan on drafting a Guard early in the draft or re-signing one of our starters from last year. If that is the case then fine. But we need starters too.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I agree. Doesn't seem like an upgrade. Maybe they are bringing him in for depth and plan on drafting a Guard early in the draft or re-signing one of our starters from last year. If that is the case then fine. But we need starters too.
    IMHO, he's better than Slauson and provides G/T flexibility that nobody else on the roster really has. Ducasse doesn't count.

If we let Moore/Slauson go, sign Schwartz, and draft Warmack...the offensive line is sitting pretty in 2013. Then we'd have the option of keeping Schwartz/Ducasse after 2013 when both become FAs while also having a really solid trio in Brick/Mangold/Warmack.

All League
    Totatlly a depth guy to replace Jason Smith

If hecantches on he might even boot Duccasse off the team

Just stocking for depth, nothing more

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by FijiJet View Post
    Just stocking for depth, nothing more
    I'm already liking Idzik better than Tanny. He didn't even know the meaning of the word apparently. This move is not sexy or headline grabbing, just one that will strengthen the team at a position of need without costing a lot. I like it.
    Last edited by Vinny Testaverde's Niece; 02-20-2013 at 11:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    I'm already liking Idzik better than Tanny. He didn't even know the meaning of the word apparently. This move is not sexy or headline grabbing, just one that will strengthen the team at a position of need without costing a lot. I like it.
    You've gotta be kidding me...

It's amazing watching this whole process.

Guy starts (Mangini, Rex, Tannenbaum, whoever) and they are all better than their predecessor.

Then, of course the team doesn't win the super bowl every year (because it's impossible) and people find reasons to hate the coach/GM. People made fun of Mangini not saying anything and then talked about how great it was that Rex said everything on his mind (Even though he really doesn't). The team had no high end talent when Tannenbaum took over so he promptly realized that he had to try to acquire whoever they thought had pro bowl ability. Revis, Brick, and Mangold were all guys in this class. Then because he traded up to get the likes of Revis and Harris and people learn to ***** about us not having later draft picks and this supposed lack of depth.

People still fail to realize that you aren't going to win anything if your best players get hurt. Unless you have Peyton Manning or Tom Brady at least. They also fail to realize that in a salary cap world, you can't go out and pay for depth. It's just impossible. Some positions are going to be thin.

Now you get a GM rumored to make a signing like the one listed in this thread and someone makes the giant leap that he's already better than the previous GM. Without actually knowing anything about the player. It's hilarious and sad.

In a few years, unless we get lucky and strike gold at QB, we won't be winning the super bowl and people will just be hating this GM as much as Tannenbaum and Bradway.

Hell, Rex has had the most success of any coach in this franchise's pathetic history outside of Weeb and people STILL want him gone. AND he did it with a BOTTOM 5 QB!

Better than Slauson.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    You've gotta be kidding me...

It's amazing watching this whole process.

Guy starts (Mangini, Rex, Tannenbaum, whoever) and they are all better than their predecessor.

Then, of course the team doesn't win the super bowl every year (because it's impossible) and people find reasons to hate the coach/GM. People made fun of Mangini not saying anything and then talked about how great it was that Rex said everything on his mind (Even though he really doesn't). The team had no high end talent when Tannenbaum took over so he promptly realized that he had to try to acquire whoever they thought had pro bowl ability. Revis, Brick, and Mangold were all guys in this class. Then because he traded up to get the likes of Revis and Harris and people learn to ***** about us not having later draft picks and this supposed lack of depth.

People still fail to realize that you aren't going to win anything if your best players get hurt. Unless you have Peyton Manning or Tom Brady at least. They also fail to realize that in a salary cap world, you can't go out and pay for depth. It's just impossible. Some positions are going to be thin.

Now you get a GM rumored to make a signing like the one listed in this thread and someone makes the giant leap that he's already better than the previous GM. Without actually knowing anything about the player. It's hilarious and sad.

In a few years, unless we get lucky and strike gold at QB, we won't be winning the super bowl and people will just be hating this GM as much as Tannenbaum and Bradway.

Hell, Rex has had the most success of any coach in this franchise's pathetic history outside of Weeb and people STILL want him gone. AND he did it with a BOTTOM 5 QB!
    If I were that fickle you might have a point. That may be true of a large part of the fan base but I have been way more consistent than that. Always liked mangini, still do, never liked Tanny, still don't, liked Rex, still do, you get the picture.

All Pro
    More of a depth move. I doubt he's being targeted to start.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    More of a depth move. I doubt he's being targeted to start.
    depth at the offensive line? Someone get Tanny on the phone and alert him that he's making too much sense

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by FreshBaked 24 7 View Post
    depth at the offensive line? Someone get Tanny on the phone and alert him that he's making too much sense
    I guess your board name is a pretty accurate label

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by nycdan View Post
    I guess your board name is a pretty accurate label
    I meant it as call the former guy that the new guy is making too much sense

oh well. Womp womp

Seeing as how once free agency begins we will have ZERO starting-caliber guards on the roster, I'd say this guy would have a decent chance to win a starting guard position.