Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tony Pauline: Jets Interested in Vikes OG via FA?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    May the Schwartz be with us!

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Shift Jet View Post
    May the Schwartz be with us!
    She gives great helmet!

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter
    Chiefs staying busy, visiting today with Vikings free-agent OT Geoff Schwartz, whom they are expected to sign.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    where do you see him RG or RT

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsNeedNewton View Post
    My math skills are going with age, somebody help me here:
    (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ycn-11144146 )

"After being drafted in the seventh round of the 2008 NFL Draft, Schwartz quickly caught on as the starting right guard for the Panthers. Throughout his tenure in Carolina, he played in 32 games, including 19 starts. Unfortunately, a hip injury forced him to sit out the entire 2011 season. When he became a restricted free agent at the end of the season, the Panthers opted not to the tender the promising guard, effectively making him an unrestricted free agent."

So he was at Carolina '08, '09, '10. That's 48 potental games, of which he started only 19 and played 13 others. That hardly sounds like he "quickly caught on as the starting right guard" for the Panthers.

Then he's hurt for a year, and in 2012 he couldn't win the starting position with the Vikings.

And he's really good why? What am I missing?
    Sounds like you are missing that this isn't a video game, and part of the reason Tannenbaum needed to be fired was that this team was only as deep as the starters (and they weren't very good). A team in the condition the Jets are in has to find starters and backups.

This guy is a backup.

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    He's not really good.

This would be a depth signing, nothing more.

Better than the Landolt's or Ducasse's seeing significant playing time if someone goes down.
    ^^^ This.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    In a few years, unless we get lucky and strike gold at QB, we won't be winning the super bowl and people will just be hating this GM as much as Tannenbaum and Bradway
    Jetsfan1983, you are absolutely spot on with this analogy. He can be a cap and scouting genius and stock this roster a whole pool full of talented players that other teams want, but unless he finds a Franchise type QB, we aren't sniffing the SB. That said, Rex did miracles with that defense in years 1 & 2 to get them to the AFC Championship games in back to back years. That's hard to do and considering the teams we beat on the road speaks volumes on the overall roster they had back then.

I like this potential signing (he ain't signed people) and if we get him it would be for depth purposes. But in the NFL when the letters stand for Not For Long, he could be the opening day starter just as much as anyone on the roster do to injuries. So while I do like the signing it doesn't appear he has great upside, maybe a stop gap guy and solid backup.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SizzleBear287 View Post
    Better than Slauson.
    In what way? Slauson is very good in the run game. His pass protection is average at best. What does Schwartz offer?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BrickHouse View Post
    Jetsfan1983, you are absolutely spot on with this analogy. He can be a cap and scouting genius and stock this roster a whole pool full of talented players that other teams want, but unless he finds a Franchise type QB, we aren't sniffing the SB. That said, Rex did miracles with that defense in years 1 & 2 to get them to the AFC Championship games in back to back years. That's hard to do and considering the teams we beat on the road speaks volumes on the overall roster they had back then.

I like this potential signing (he ain't signed people) and if we get him it would be for depth purposes. But in the NFL when the letters stand for Not For Long, he could be the opening day starter just as much as anyone on the roster do to injuries. So while I do like the signing it doesn't appear he has great upside, maybe a stop gap guy and solid backup.
    Is Flacco a franchise QB? I mean i know he's being paid like one, but i'm not sure he's much better than average. I think seeing the 49'ers and Raven's in the SB ought to have dispelled the notion that having a great QB is a requirement to win one. Having an outstanding QB makes everything else easier, no question. But you can still win with an average to good QB. Even the superbowl. Hopefully we can get at least an average to good QB in the next few years...

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    @AdamSchefter: Now official... RT @GeoffSchwartz76: Excited to officially be a new member of the @kcchiefs!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    On to plan B.

The Jets have their RB but they need to fill the following in FA at a minimum before the draft in my mind.

At least one OG even if it is one of Moore or Slauson.
    At least one S, lost both landry and Bell gone we need at least one.
    At least one OLB, Pace and thomas gone.

This is a bare minimum. I'd like to also come away with a TE, WR and another LB. Might need a DT as well.

Lots of work to do.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    In what way? Slauson is very good in the run game. His pass protection is average at best. What does Schwartz offer?
    It's the opposite actually

Slauson is solid in pass protection but leaves a lot to be desired as a run blocker.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Time to lock this thread I suppose.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FreshBaked 24 7 View Post
    Totatlly a depth guy to replace Jason Smith

If hecantches on he might even boot Duccasse off the team
    hecantches?

he Cantchez??

is that Mark's new nickname??