Thread: Windows 8

Windows 8

Brought home a new laptop w/windows 8 last night.

Been struggling with it so far. Haven't had the time to pour through the dozens of youtube videos and the like to learn how to manage this mess.

WTF is this "Metro" vs "Desktop" dual versions if IE? I mostly use Chrome anyway, but I do resort to IE enough that I need to be proficient with it.

Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated (other than go buy a Mac, please).

I know you don't want to hear it, but Windows 8 is total garbage. If you bought a computer with Windows 8 Pro, the good news is you have built-in "downgrade rights" which allow you to downgrade to Windows 7 for free. If you do, you can Google it for the "how-to".

Either that, or go buy a Mac.

Jets Insider VIP
    I just got it a few weeks back too. Still getting used to it. one thing that pisses me off is that I can't figure outhow to get my iphone piccs to download the way they did on windows 7.

I used to plug my iphone in and the pics would download to folders marked as the day/month/year the pics were taken.

Now they all go into a folder marked with the date you downloaded them.

Anyone know the solution to this?

Quote Originally Posted by Dcat View Post

Been struggling with it so far. Haven't had the time to pour through the dozens of youtube videos and the like to learn how to manage this mess.

WTF is this "Metro" vs "Desktop" dual versions if IE? I mostly use Chrome anyway, but I do resort to IE enough that I need to be proficient with it.

it's terrible for a PC...maybe ok for a tablet.

i'm sorry i upgraded my laptop (and paid $39.99)

Jets Insider VIP
    I'm staring at an over 6 year old dinosaur desktop computer. Been planning to ditch it for a while and get a new one. I mostly run with my laptop from work and an iPad. But I want the home PC as a kind of central point in our home network where I can run iTunes, do some video editing, store our thousands of pictures, etc. and have a big, comfortable screen to look at. I'm thinking about going with the new iMac rather than a Windows 8 machine. My take on Win8 is that it does a decent job of being a hybrid between a tablet OS and a desktop/laptop OS...but doesn't excel (no pun intended) at either.
    Last edited by jetstream23; 02-21-2013 at 01:04 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Windows 8 was designed for touch screens PCs. The OS is actually better than windows 7 but you can't appreciate unless you have a Tablet or touch screen laptop or desktop.

You should try to get used to it as most people say it's great once you go through the pain of re-learning windows. If you don't have a touch screen you should get a touch mouse which will add a lot of value with gestures that really speed up certain tasks.

Also, if you just miss the start menu/desktop ease just get one of these.

http://arstechnica.com/information-t...my-start-menu/

Actually try this first:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/20267...-for-free.html

Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post
    Windows 8 was designed for touch screens PCs. The OS is actually better than windows 7 but you can't appreciate unless you have a Tablet or touch screen laptop or desktop.
    The new laptop is indeed touch screen. I'll get used to it. I use the desktop screen more than the app screen. It is faster than windows 7.

All Pro
    been the same argument since windows 3.1

Quote Originally Posted by Peebag View Post
    been the same argument since windows 3.1

DOS was the bomb.

And I miss Fortran.

Hall Of Fame
    Windows has always sucked and always will. Its never about the user, its about furthering Micro$sux's agendas.

Hall Of Fame
    Windows 8 sucks. I went back to Windows 7. Try to downgrade if you can. Download the IE Tab Multi extension for Chrome.

OS X sucks, I would never recommend buying a Mac to anybody. The Retina displays are gorgeous but the IPS LCD display on my Sony is just as good.
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 02-22-2013 at 12:23 PM.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Dcat View Post

Did the same thing a few weeks ago, hated Windows 8 Brought it back, upgraded my old laptop and I am in heaven