Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Per NFL.com - "Jets will attempt to trade Tebow at combine."

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by GuidoYaztremski View Post
    The way he was misused last season means he's still basically an unknown at this point. I mean really, 8 passing attempts ALL YEAR. What team could possibly decide anything from watching that?
    What hurt Tebow even more than not really playing last year was the emergence of guys like RGII, Wilson and Kaepernick. Teams saw what a true dual threat QB can do. Guys who can actually throw it in the pocket or can take it 40 yards on the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    What hurt Tebow even more than not really playing last year was the emergence of guys like RGII, Wilson and Kaepernick. Teams saw what a true dual threat QB can do. Guys who can actually throw it in the pocket or can take it 40 yards on the ground.
    FWIW, I seem to recall Tebow beating Pitt FROM THE POCKET in 2011 and he also took it to the house on a 48 yard rushing TD against Oakland.

Not going to try and argue that Tebow is a better passer or runner, but he does have a different style just as Marshawn Lynch and Lesean McCoy have different styles while both being good RBs.

Interesting comments on both sides.

IMHO I think Tebow will surprise on the upside. I would bet he'll get picked up and start again bye and bye.

Quote Originally Posted by LEVYMAN View Post
    He will be on the Patriots and will be a pain in our asses for years to come.
    If there is a just and fair football God, then he will bless us by putting Tebow on the Patriots.

Quote Originally Posted by Dcat View Post
    If there is a just and fair football God, then he will bless us by putting Tebow on the Patriots.
    I dunno. God is just but life is not fair...and for that we are blessed

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

JMO...Tebow has a place on an NFL roster. But, it should be somewhere that has an established QB. Its a helluva lot easier incorporating him into the game plan when the team doesn't have to worry about how it will look.

Also, Tebow should be used in plays of 3, at minimum. Teams should have clusters of plays available where he is used in a variety of positions when the team doesn't need to change personnel. Even if the QB is lined up wide, the defense still has to account for him giving the WC a numbers advantage on the inside. Plus, they can then go to a different formation, with him in the game, and keep the defense on its toes as to what will happen.

Whether you wanted to see more of Tebow or less of him last year, one thing is certain....the Jets found a way to piss off both groups.

Quote Originally Posted by Dcat View Post
    Tebow to the Pats and Eric Smith to the Bills? Merry Christmas, boys.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes9 View Post
    Wow, a whole "few months" and then he reverted back when under pressure ? That"s surprising to you ? It takes more than a few months of reps to change a throwing motion and ingrain it into muscle memory.

Has he thrown enough reps at this point to have done so ? Jury is still out on that one.
    LOL.....The guy has been in the NFL for 3 YEARS now. What has he been working on?

LOL.....The guy has been in the NFL for 3 YEARS now. What has he been working on?
    Bringing back the Johnny U. flat top.

BRAH, HE WORKS HARDER THAN ERREBODY ELSE, DOE!

Jets Insider VIP
    The way he was misused last season means he's still basically an unknown at this point. I mean really, 8 passing attempts ALL YEAR. What team could possibly decide anything from watching that?
    based on the buzz....basically ALL teams save 1 or 2 have decided.

He's been working on a lot. Most QBs only have to tweak their mechanics and will continue to do so throughout their careers. Tebow's mechanics were radically overhauled, that's going to take longer to set in.

Additionally, it's more than just the mechanics of his throwing motion. He also had to (and needs to) work on his footwork and timing when working from under center. That compounds the difficulty as you are trying to fix a number of things at the same time. If you will, just picture someone trying to completely change their golf swing, then add in the complication of having to learn to run up to the ball like Happy Gilmore as opposed to just standing there addressing the ball.

It's one of the reasons that he was seen as a three year project from the outset.

Jets Insider VIP
    Would you really be shocked if someone threw the Jets a 7th for him?

I wouldn't.
    Talent wise, you could argue that a 5th wouldn't be shocking, but the problem with Tebow and everyone knows it is the "everything else" involved with him.

He's a distraction and his fan & media attention is greatly disproportionate to his on-the-field contribution.

He could be a weapon for a team like the Pats because they'd know how to use him, but I bet Belichick and the players wouldn't want to deal with the associated headache of having Tebow on the team.

Can you imagine Belichick having a press conference just about Tebow?

Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    BRAH, HE WORKS HARDER THAN ERREBODY ELSE, DOE!
    Almost as hard as Da Snatchez.

Brah

Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    Talent wise, you could argue that a 5th wouldn't be shocking, but the problem with Tebow and everyone knows it is the "everything else" involved with him.

He's a distraction and his fan & media attention is greatly disproportionate to his on-the-field contribution.

He could be a weapon for a team like the Pats because they'd know how to use him, but I bet Belichick and the players wouldn't want to deal with the associated headache of having Tebow on the team.

I keep hearing about this "distraction" caused by Tebow fans and personally, I think it's way over blown. Call it bad luck if you will, but Tebow has found himself on two different teams that had lousy QBs who weren't winning. I mean, fans in KC this year were chanting for their backup QB. Hell, many of them even applauded when Cassell got injured.

Orton was something like 6-22 in his previous starts and everyone here is well aware of Sanchez's troubles. IF Tebow hadn't been on either team, then fans of both would have been chanting the names of whomever the backup QB was. Here, it would have been chants for Stanton.

Additionally, does anyone really believe that huge numbers of "real Jets fans" had their tickets snatched up by Tebow fans ? Or, is it much more likely that most of those fans who were chanting "Tebow, Tebow, Tebow" were actually "real Jets fans" who were fed up with Sanchez's continued failure ?

There's a simple answer to the "Tebow" chants and his "horde" of fans who supposedly make things intolerable. Simply have a GOOD QB who doesn't SUCK. Problem solved.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes9 View Post
    I keep hearing about this "distraction" caused by Tebow fans and personally, I think it's way over blown. Call it bad luck if you will, but Tebow has found himself on two different teams that had lousy QBs who weren't winning. I mean, fans in KC this year were chanting for their backup QB. Hell, many of them even applauded when Cassell got injured.

Orton was something like 6-22 in his previous starts and everyone here is well aware of Sanchez's troubles. IF Tebow hadn't been on either team, then fans of both would have been chanting the names of whomever the backup QB was. Here, it would have been chants for Stanton.

Additionally, does anyone really believe that huge numbers of "real Jets fans" had their tickets snatched up by Tebow fans ? Or, is it much more likely that most of those fans who were chanting "Tebow, Tebow, Tebow" were actually "real Jets fans" who were fed up with Sanchez's continued failure ?

There's a simple answer to the "Tebow" chants and his "horde" of fans who supposedly make things intolerable. Simply have a GOOD QB who doesn't SUCK. Problem solved.
    The bolded really is the solution, LOL.

As to your point on the distraction, the problem with today's sports age is that perception is reality. Your assessment can be 100% correct, but Tebow, regardless of the circumstances you describe, is viewed as a distraction.

It's not me saying it. We've seen the recent articles mentioning the comments of NFL executives and scouts and THEY are the ones talking about the distraction. NFL executives believe it and that's what ultimately matters.

A perfect example is the new GM for the Jags. Normally when a GM is asked about a player the stock answer is, "I will not discuss a player under contract with another team," or something to that effect.

But in this instance, the GM flat out says that Tebow won't be on the team. That's unprecedented and that has everything to do with teams' perception of the distraction he creates.

Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    Almost as hard as Da Snatchez.

Brah
    TEBOW EATS HOT DOGS WITH HEART! HE'S LIKE A KID OUT THERE ON THE SIDELINES, EATING HOT DOGS IN THE BACKYARD, BRAH!

The bolded really is the solution, LOL.

As to your point on the distraction, the problem with today's sports age is that perception is reality. Your assessment can be 100% correct, but Tebow, regardless of the circumstances you describe, is viewed as a distraction.

It's not me saying it. We've seen the recent articles mentioning the comments of NFL executives and scouts and THEY are the ones talking about the distraction. NFL executives believe it and that's what ultimately matters.

A perfect example is the new GM for the Jags. Normally when a GM is asked about a player the stock answer is, "I will not discuss a player under contract with another team," or something to that effect.

But in this instance, the GM flat out says that Tebow won't be on the team. That's unprecedented and that has everything to do with teams' perception of the distraction he creates.

Perhaps. The ironic thing is that when teammates are asked about it, they say that it isn't really a distraction. That most of that is basically media driven projection.

For the coaches and FO ? Sure, it might be distracting to get asked about it in a press conference, but I'd hope that both coaches and FO types would be able to handle it easily enough.

WRT the Jag's GM, you're speculating. Perhaps he just doesn't think that Tebow is a good QB ? Or perhaps it's a negotiation tactic ? We may never know the real reason for his comments, but we'll find out soon enough if he stands by the statement or if Tebow ends up there.

I think the difference with the Pats, and by Pats I mean BB, is that they would have zero interest in any of the press-side of the equation. So, unlike Woody and Rex, who trotted Tebow out to the press at every opportunity, Bill would put a muzzle on him. You forbid him to give interviews, ANY interviews, and much of the distraction goes away.

Can I imagine Belichick having a press conference just about Tebow? No. Because it wouldn't happen. The MOST he would say is he's one of 53 guys who give us the best chance to win games. And you can be 100% sure that ESPN wouldn't be given 24/7 unfettered access to training camp.

Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post
    You can't draw conclusions from his time with the Jets. If he was tradable before this season, he should be tradable this year.
    What difference does it make who helped him, he was working on his mechanics all season long from the weekly reports and was supposedly getting better.

Denver beat the Steelers in their one playoff game with Tebow. He inspired the team. On that basis alone someone will think differently than the Jets crowd.

In any case we have perhaps 2-3 week wait.

Only two teams per Elway were interested, Jacksonville and the jets. Caldwell now says there is no interest. There will be a few teams interested in him as a FA for 530,000, but not at 2.560,000. You can get a starter for that, or a top rotational backup olineman/Dlineman/LB. That would even have him as the top paid B/U qb in the league beside Orton.