Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Free Agent- Trade- Combine news and rumors.

@AdamSchefter: Ravens C Matt Birk will announce his retirement today, the Baltimore Sun reports. Birk is poised to succeed off field as he did on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rexipus Rex View Post
    You also do realize that if we tender him at the lowest level and we don't match another team's offer, we get NOTHING in return, right?
    Do you REALLY believe that someone is going to offer a contract (and even if they did, one the Jets couldn't match if they wanted to) to the OT who allowed the third most sacks in the NFL, run blocking on the same side of Brandon Moore be damned? Ha.

Austin Howard will never be a hot commodity amongst NFL teams. Keep him for the cheapest you possibly can. He's not going anywhere. Don't worry. Maybe he'll actually come forward with some solid productivity in his fourth NFL season. The nine lives of Austin Howard.

To some Jets fans, if you aren't ****, you're amazing. Gotta love it. We can never have someone who's in between or below mediocre and acknowledge it.
    Last edited by 124; 02-22-2013 at 08:50 AM.

@smartfootball: RT @evansilva: Andy Reid on Geno Smith: "I've had a chance to look at his tape and he's a heck of a football player." Excited to interview

@BryanBroaddus: Hearing from my sources that a team is interested in working Colin Klein out as a TE. He will do position drills in front of the combine.

Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    Howard was the third worst OT in the NFL (64+ starters) when it came to pass protection. He allowed the third most amount of sacks. How the hell is he worth a tender at all? What is the love affair with this guy? This is going to be his fourth year out of college. When does the "promise" tag leave? When he's 30? Is he better than EZPass Hunter? Yes. A cardboard box is more competent than Hunter, but he's nothing special. Heck, he's not even mediocre. He's a below average RT. Tender him at the lowest tender possible for the lone reason that you don't want to have nobody their at RT.
    You do realize that pass protection is more then just what the tackle does.

Our QB holds the ball too long and doesnt change protections at the line to pickup overloads or free runners.

Both our starting and backup TEs were atrocious blockers who offered no help whatsoever.

Our OC never called misdirection or screen passes, allowing DE/OLBs to attack the QB on every play with no alternate responsibility.

Howard isnt jonathon odged, but he is far from terrible and if we tendered him at the lowest level possible, he would be signed away.

Do you REALLY believe that someone is going to offer a contract (and even if they did, one the Jets couldn't match if they wanted to) to the OT who allowed the third most sacks in the NFL, run blocking on the same side of Brandon Moore be damned? Ha.

Austin Howard will never be a hot commodity amongst NFL teams. Keep him for the cheapest you possibly can. He's not going anywhere. Don't worry. Maybe he'll actually come forward with some solid productivity in his fourth NFL season. The nine lives of Austin Howard.

To some Jets fans, if you aren't ****, you're amazing. Gotta love it. We can never have someone who's in between or below mediocre and acknowledge it.
    Yes, i think Howard has enough upside so that a team like Chicago, Cinci or Cleveland make a move, the Pats may make a move if Vollmer leaves in FA.
    Paying a backup swing tackle 3 mill to back up Cannon and Solder who together don't make 2mill is not out of the question. The kid struggled last year but he did get better as the year went on. give him a 250,000 bonus and if he does not make the team it cost 1/4 mill- big deal. It is probably worth the 1/4 mill just to force the jets to deal with another hole.

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetfanfromthestart View Post
    Some typical a....s that post here, sorry to the smart posters. Everyone is great when we are trying to sign or hire them and suck when they are no longer with the organization. He wasn't so bad when he drafted Revis, DBrick, Mangold, Harris, and many others. Give the guy a break.
    Dude, those picks were all Mangini's doing. No one else gets credit for them

Uh, yeah, someone will. Apparently you have little knowledge of the demand of offensive linemen, especially tackles, in this league.

After 2010, Wayne Hunter signed a deal with the Jets where he made $2.5MM. And he was only a part time player the year before with limited starting experience. And this was before we all knew how terrible he was. Howard is light years better.

Oh, the Brandon Moore whose run blocking skills have declined the past two years? If he was so good at making the tackle next to him so much better, than how did Howard grade out as a better run blocker at his respective position than Moore did with his?

Nine lives? God, you're duller than I thought.

Howard was given nothing to this team and EARNED his starting spot. Sure, his competition might have been weak (Hunter, J Smith), but this is one of the few instances where players actually competed for playing time and weren't handed anything. It's only one example, but it flies in the face of one of the legitimate criticisms of Rex that he let's his starters feel entitled.

When did I put the guy in Canton?

You can't have a star at every position, and in some positions you have to go cheap. We have a well above average run blocking right tackle who will be payed well below the league average for that position. In those cases, that's a simple "hold." Either you do not understand simple economics or you have no clue what a salary cap is.

To some Jets fans, if you're not a repeat Pro Bowler, you suck. You just sound like another typical wet blanket Jets fan. Here's a tip: Take up a different hobby because following the Jets is making you an insufferable person.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    You do realize that pass protection is more then just what the tackle does.

Our QB holds the ball too long and doesnt change protections at the line to pickup overloads or free runners.

Both our starting and backup TEs were atrocious blockers who offered no help whatsoever.

Our OC never called misdirection or screen passes, allowing DE/OLBs to attack the QB on every play with no alternate responsibility.

Howard isnt jonathon odged, but he is far from terrible and if we tendered him at the lowest level possible, he would be signed away.

Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    Yes, i think Howard has enough upside so that a team like Chicago, Cinci or Cleveland make a move, the Pats may make a move if Vollmer leaves in FA.
    Paying a backup swing tackle 3 mill to back up Cannon and Solder who together don't make 2mill is not out of the question. The kid struggled last year but he did get better as the year went on. give him a 250,000 bonus and if he does not make the team it cost 1/4 mill- big deal. It is probably worth the 1/4 mill just to force the jets to deal with another hole.

Guys, guys, guys. Stop making sense. You're going to befuddle 124

welcome to cap hell

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    I can't believe he would warrant a 1st round tender. However maybe he showed enough to justify it, the Jets are not in a position of strength when it comes to RT after the Hunter debacle.
    At most the equiv of a second;he's just. Ok. Don't expect any pro bowl appearances. With Long on the market spend the money there not on the AH's of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    That seems a bit of overkill, me thinks. No one will touch him with a second round tender, why the need to give him the 1st rounder? And if someone does in fact make him an offer at the second round level, I'll drive the dude to the airport.
    +1

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    Okay, but no one is going to sign him for a 2nd round pick. If someone offers a 2nd round pick you trade him in a heartbeat.

$2M is fine for him.
    Level 3, $2M (2nd RD) is the only real option because they can't do Level 2 since he's an UDFA which means no compensation and Level 4 (1st rounder) is just too much money for him at about $3M.

Quote Originally Posted by Rexipus Rex View Post
    Uh, yeah, someone will. Apparently you have little knowledge of the demand of offensive linemen, especially tackles, in this league.

After 2010, Wayne Hunter signed a deal with the Jets where he made $2.5MM. And he was only a part time player the year before with limited starting experience. And this was before we all knew how terrible he was. Howard is light years better.

Oh, the Brandon Moore whose run blocking skills have declined the past two years? If he was so good at making the tackle next to him so much better, than how did Howard grade out as a better run blocker at his respective position than Moore did with his

Nine lives? God, you're duller than I thought.

Howard was given nothing to this team and EARNED his starting spot. Sure, his competition might have been weak (Hunter, J Smith), but this is one of the few instances where players actually competed for playing time and weren't handed anything. It's only one example, but it flies in the face of one of the legitimate criticisms of Rex that he let's his starters feel entitled.

When did I put the guy in Canton?

You can't have a star at every position, and in some positions you have to go cheap. We have a well above average run blocking right tackle who will be payed well below the league average for that position. In those cases, that's a simple "hold." Either you do not understand simple economics or you have no clue what a salary cap is.

To some Jets fans, if you're not a repeat Pro Bowler, you suck. You just sound like another typical wet blanket Jets fan. Here's a tip: Take up a different hobby because following the Jets is making you an insufferable person.

Guys, guys, guys. Stop making sense. You're going to befuddle 124
    Couldn't agree more with every word here....my god it's harder being a Jet fan because of our 'fans' than actually going through the ups and downs of the organisation....thank god I have the team-whatever it's struggles-to make it all bearable

Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    Good post Patman,credit where it's due

@JasonLaCanfora: Titans announced a deal with free agent S George Wilson, formerly of the Bills. They showed immediate interest, as did Detroit

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    @BryanBroaddus: Hearing from my sources that a team is interested in working Colin Klein out as a TE. He will do position drills in front of the combine.
    Then he's already 100% a better player/person than Tebow.

Amazing what happens when college kids don't have a Jesus freak PR machine behind them hacking at any coaching attempt to change his position for the better of the team/the player

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    @JasonLaCanfora: Titans announced a deal with free agent S George Wilson, formerly of the Bills. They showed immediate interest, as did Detroit
    I didn't realize teams could sign FAs already. I thought that wasn't until next week.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    I didn't realize teams could sign FAs already. I thought that wasn't until next week.
    Players cut by their current team can sign, it is players whose contracts have expired and are free agents that have to wait till March.

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Players cut by their current team can sign, it is players whose contracts have expired and are free agents that have to wait till March.
    March 12th. Just so people don't freak out March 1st when the Jets haven't signed anyone.

@LeonSandcastle: Asking for my Combine score's like asking what color the sky is: if you dont already know, shame on you http://t.co/jiHRBjCxeP #PerfectScore

@NFL_ATL: Raiders GM Reggie McKenzie said Taiwan Jones will be moved from RB to CB. Jones has been buried on the depth chart. http://t.co/14DdCdQhGW