Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27

Thread: Possible Solution at RT....Woody Part II?

  1. #1

    Possible Solution at RT....Woody Part II?

    I am not very high on Austin Howard as our starting RT. I think as the season went on, people figured him out and he became a liability as a pass protector. While we could "live with" him I think Howard is better suited as a "swing tackle".

    One guy I really like who is an UFA this year is Gosder Cherillus from Detroit. The guy was the 2nd best RT according to PFF and his pass protecting ability is phenomenal while still a pretty good run blocker. Hes only 28 so he still should have another 4-5 quality years.

    Could he come reasonably priced to us?
    Something about him reminds me of Damien Woody...BC O-lineman, underachieved while playing in Detroit, had tremendous physical ability but thought of having an attitude problem while in Detroit

  2. #2
    Cherilus will be out of our price range. Guaranteed.

  3. #3
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Boynton Beach, FL
    Posts
    8,953
    The Jets are in full rebuild mode. Does signing high priced 28 year old with attitude issues sound like a rebuild type move?

  4. #4
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    12,718
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post
    I am not very high on Austin Howard as our starting RT. I think as the season went on, people figured him out and he became a liability as a pass protector. While we could "live with" him I think Howard is better suited as a "swing tackle".

    One guy I really like who is an UFA this year is Gosder Cherillus from Detroit. The guy was the 2nd best RT according to PFF and his pass protecting ability is phenomenal while still a pretty good run blocker. Hes only 28 so he still should have another 4-5 quality years.

    Could he come reasonably priced to us?
    Something about him reminds me of Damien Woody...BC O-lineman, underachieved while playing in Detroit, had tremendous physical ability but thought of having an attitude problem while in Detroit
    I strongly disagree with you. I thought the guy played reasonably well . He had a QB that holds onto the ball too long trying to figure out what to do with it. BRICK looked even worse then Howard. I'd just as soon give the guy his due and let him develop. Constantly changing OLmen is wrong. Consistency is what makes an OL great. Its bad enough as it is that we will lose either Slauson or Moore or both. To now go with 3 new starters on the Ol is crazy. If Suckchez is the starter and he plays as poorly as he did last year, I do not care who you plug into our OL. We are going to suck!

  5. #5
    While cherilus SHOULD be paid very well, he happens to be a FA in a year with a lot of quality OTs on the market and is coming from a team that will probably not bid to retain him as they have younger guys and are tight against the cap.

    While i like howard, cherilus would be a massive upgrade, and allow howard to play the swing tackle spot for us.

    Cherilus is far from a necessity, but could be a nice luxury depending on what happens with revis.

  6. #6
    Howard is fine... AND cheap. There is no reason on replacing him. Offensive line was good last season as per people who don't look at things through Jet hating or loving glasses.

  7. #7
    Howard needs to be replaced no doubt. He was one of the bottom 3 starting RTs last year. This FA has a lot of better RTs then him. I'll be shocked if we actually shell out 1.8 just to give him anther year to develop. As a BU maybe but I'd be shocked if he was the starter again.

  8. #8
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Posts
    16,995
    Austin might work out, he is no John Runyon, but Sanchez is no McNabb.

  9. #9
    I'd love for the Jets to snap up Cherilus for our RT spot

  10. #10
    didn't the jets just replace their oline coach? could it be that dugliemo was the bigger problem with the oline and the new guy might actually improve howard? and let's not forget that howard was playing next to a sub par brandon moore. the bigger problem is getting guys to replace moore and slauson or finding ways to retain them.

    as for the woody redux, woody was an all pro with the patsies before detroit and there was every reason a change of scenery was all he needed. this other guy really needs to show something before the jets should step in.

  11. #11
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    19,817
    I think Cherilus will probably be out of our price range.

    The only way Howard isn't our RT is if we draft Fisher and slide Howard inside.

    There are reports that the Jets might give Howard a first-round tender. Hopefully that ends up better than the last one we did....

  12. #12
    Howard is cheap and serviceable. Draft Warmack and sign a TE like Fasano who can chip block and our pass protection will be very good next season as opposed to mediocre the last 2.

  13. #13
    Howard is unquestionably a bottom tier RT. Anyone who tries to tell you otherwise needs a pair of glasses or a lesson in OL 101. Anyways, Cherlius would be a tremendous signing, however, he'll likely be out of our price range. It's going to be Howard at RT again in 2013. He'll be replaced next off-season.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    Howard needs to be replaced no doubt. He was one of the bottom 3 starting RTs last year. This FA has a lot of better RTs then him. I'll be shocked if we actually shell out 1.8 just to give him anther year to develop. As a BU maybe but I'd be shocked if he was the starter again.
    Where are you getting this ranking from?

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Gastineau99 View Post
    Where are you getting this ranking from?
    Pro Football Focus has him listed as allowing 10 sacks, third most in the NFL, and ranked as the 60th tackle in football. They're usually pretty darn accurate.

    Yes, yes, he is also listed as the 8th best run blocking tackle, but last I checked this is a passing league and we'll see how "awesome" his run blocking is when Brandon Moore isn't alongside him.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    Pro Football Focus has him listed as allowing 10 sacks, third most in the NFL, and ranked as the 60th tackle in football. They're usually pretty darn accurate.

    Yes, yes, he is also listed as the 8th best run blocking tackle, but last I checked this is a passing league and we'll see how "awesome" his run blocking is when Brandon Moore isn't alongside him.
    They usually don't know what the hell the line call was and have no idea 1/2 the time who was supposed to block who. Football is a team game, it is not baseball where one guy pitches, no one interferes with the batter striking the ball and no one interferes with a defender catching the ball.

    if it is on the internet is has to be true.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    Pro Football Focus has him listed as allowing 10 sacks, third most in the NFL, and ranked as the 60th tackle in football. They're usually pretty darn accurate.

    Yes, yes, he is also listed as the 8th best run blocking tackle, but last I checked this is a passing league and we'll see how "awesome" his run blocking is when Brandon Moore isn't alongside him.
    OK, I was just wondering. PFF is pretty good. I think a lot o those sacks were prolly on te QBs sucking and holding the ball too long. McElroy was sacked 10 times against the Chargers and only a few of those were the O-Lines fault. I watched Howard a lot last year and was pretty happy with him overall. He is still kinda raw and developing. I'd be happy with him as our RT and think Guard is more of an issue.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Gastineau99 View Post
    OK, I was just wondering. PFF is pretty good. I think a lot o those sacks were prolly on te QBs sucking and holding the ball too long. McElroy was sacked 10 times against the Chargers and only a few of those were the O-Lines fault. I watched Howard a lot last year and was pretty happy with him overall. He is still kinda raw and developing. I'd be happy with him as our RT and think Guard is more of an issue.
    What starters from last year would you not take over him? Who evers GB RT was and Jax had I think Guy Whimper. That is pretty much it IMO. Maybe Sam Young in Buff but I thought he looked better.

  19. #19
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    2,398
    Howard will be the Jets Starting RT this year PERIOD.

    He is still young and developing and cheap. Also he was no where near as bad as some people on here a saying.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by jets31 View Post
    Howard will be the Jets Starting RT this year PERIOD.

    He is still young and developing and cheap. Also he was no where near as bad as some people on here a saying.
    His pass blocking is bad. His stats make him one of the worst pass blocking tackles in the league. He was responsible for 10 sacks and 10 additional hits on the QB. While you can blame this on Sanchez holding on the ball too long, the truth is Ferguson's numbers are much better and he was protecting the blind side.

    Howard is not much better than Wayne Hunter. The biggest difference is Hunter would get manhandled and overpowered, either pushed aside or into the play. Howard would get run around due to his lack of speed and athleticism.

    Anointing Howard as starting RT right now would be a mistake. Is RT our biggest need? NO of course not. But it is a position of need and thinking Howard is the answer or might be the answer is a mistake. If we have an opportunity to upgrade the position without breaking the bank , we should.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us