Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Possible Solution at RT....Woody Part II?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post
    His pass blocking is bad. His stats make him one of the worst pass blocking tackles in the league. He was responsible for 10 sacks and 10 additional hits on the QB. While you can blame this on Sanchez holding on the ball too long, the truth is Ferguson's numbers are much better and he was protecting the blind side.

Howard is not much better than Wayne Hunter. The biggest difference is Hunter would get manhandled and overpowered, either pushed aside or into the play. Howard would get run around due to his lack of speed and athleticism.

Anointing Howard as starting RT right now would be a mistake. Is RT our biggest need? NO of course not. But it is a position of need and thinking Howard is the answer or might be the answer is a mistake. If we have an opportunity to upgrade the position without breaking the bank , we should.
    You are looking at stats instead of actually watching the games. I made sure to watch him all season long. He isnt perfect but he didnt get beat flat out that often. He is still a bit raw we know this. We are expecting him to improve. Not saying we dont have a back up plan but with the other holes on this team we need to count on him.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jets31 View Post
    You are looking at stats instead of actually watching the games. I made sure to watch him all season long. He isnt perfect but he didnt get beat flat out that often. He is still a bit raw we know this. We are expecting him to improve. Not saying we dont have a back up plan but with the other holes on this team we need to count on him.
    I watched all 16 games (4 in person) and I disagree with your assessment. Howard is slow and unathletic (probably why he went undrafted and bounced around Practice Squads with the Eagles, Ravens, Jets). What I noticed with him is that defenders would take advantage of his lack of athleticism and run around him. This got worse as the season wore on and other teams took notice of his athletic limitations. Its going to be worse next year.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post
    I watched all 16 games (4 in person) and I disagree with your assessment. Howard is slow and unathletic (probably why he went undrafted and bounced around Practice Squads with the Eagles, Ravens, Jets). What I noticed with him is that defenders would take advantage of his lack of athleticism and run around him. This got worse as the season wore on and other teams took notice of his athletic limitations. Its going to be worse next year.
    You are crazy when saying he is not athletic enough. He maybe the most athletic Lineman we have. The guy switched over from TE to Tackle. He is a big man. The guy is raw and inexperienced which is why he went undrafted.

If he continues to work on technique he will be just fine.

Just do a google search and read some scouting reports on him.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    You are crazy when saying he is not athletic enough. He maybe the most athletic Lineman we have. The guy switched over from TE to Tackle. He is a big man. The guy is raw and inexperienced which is why he went undrafted.

If he continues to work on technique he will be just fine.

Just do a google search and read some scouting reports on him.
    Are you insane? Austin Howard is the most athletic lineman we have? There's a 6'6" ballerina on the other side of the line.

As far as athleticism goes, Howard is not a great athlete. Go look at his 3-cone drill. It's not good.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detectivekimble View Post
    Are you insane? Austin Howard is the most athletic lineman we have? There's a 6'6" ballerina on the other side of the line.

As far as athleticism goes, Howard is not a great athlete. Go look at his 3-cone drill. It's not good.
    If you read carefully it says MAYBE the most athletic.

And as a strength and conditioning coach I hardly consider the 3-cone drill a badge of athleticism.

The combine drills are a lot of technique. He is a small school kid so I would bet a lot of money if he spent some time with a real combine coach he could have easily been taught how to improve his 3 cone time in about a day.

People get caught up in numbers way to much instead of actually watching a player in motion.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you read carefully it says MAYBE the most athletic.

And as a strength and conditioning coach I hardly consider the 3-cone drill a badge of athleticism.

The combine drills are a lot of technique. He is a small school kid so I would bet a lot of money if he spent some time with a real combine coach he could have easily been taught how to improve his 3 cone time in about a day.

People get caught up in numbers way to much instead of actually watching a player in motion.
    There is no chance in hell that he's more athletic than Ferguson. So even your statement that he's maybe the most athletic is insane.

Wayne Hunter is a much better athlete than Howard.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    Howard is fine... AND cheap. There is no reason on replacing him. Offensive line was good last season as per people who don't look at things through Jet hating or loving glasses.
    We agree