Thread: Foles for a 3rd- sign me up

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    rather just pick Tyler Bray or EJ Manuel in the third

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Santonio View Post
    rather just pick Tyler Bray or EJ Manuel in the third
    In foles last four games he had a qb rating near 90, with 290 yards passing per game, with 5 tds and 2 ints.

I'm not saying I love him, but if mornhinweg likes him enough to approve the deal then we should pull the trigger. I know it's sexier to draft our own unproven qb in round 3 but that doesn't make it a smarter move.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FreshBaked 24 7 View Post
    IIRC They didn't pass on him, he opted not to go to Miami
    That was my take too, Miami knew it was such a good fit that they low balled him thinking that he would just jump, seattle offered more money, and he split.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    Flynn will cost $7M this year and $8M next year. Then he's a FA. Foles is under contract until 2015 at less than $1M a year.

Unless Flynn is willing to rework his contract, (Right now it's $15.5M w/ $8M guaranteed over the next 2 seasons). I don't see the Jets can make a move for him. Furthermore, unless the Jets are really sure about Flynn, they are signing him up for what will most likely be a lost season, and then will have to make a decision to keep him for the long term (not unlike Fitzpatrick). I just don't see going after Flynn as realistic.
    You got Flynn's contract wrong. Flynn's salary is 5.5 this year, with a 2 mill guarantee. His cap hit is 7.5 but seattle will be on the hook for the 2mill amortization. His salary is 6.5 next year but with no guarantees. That said, I rather have Foles for a 3rd than Flynn for less draft compensation.

Flynn's contract was a 6mill SB and 4 mill in guarantees and 19.5 over three years, with another 10M in incentives which he did not reach as he did not start.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    In foles last four games he had a qb rating near 90, with 290 yards passing per game, with 5 tds and 2 ints.
    In those last 4 games, he was also 102/166 for a completion percentage of 61.5%.

If you take those stats over a 16 game season, they would look like this:

408/664, 61.5%, 4,640 yards, 20 TD's and 8 INT's.

That might be a slight upgrade over Sanchise.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by boxman View Post
    Of all the somewhat realistic QB possibilities, Foles entices me the most. Great size, knows Mornhinweg, and showed some promise at the end of last year. He's a question mark, but Flynn is arguably an even bigger one and a guy like Smith is a proven mediocre commodity. Foles might be the least likely to get traded though.
    And Foles will come A LOT cheaper than Flynn or Smith and that is something that a lot of people continually fail to realize. With money being as tight as it is in 2013, it does matter .. a lot.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 2foolish197 View Post
    sounds interesting but we need bodies and i'm not so keen to give up a precious 3rd...our drafts backends haven't been tearing up the league lately...i hope we trade down...
    It's not like we give up the pick for an expansive veteran, it is basically if we select Nick Foles with a third rounder which is a pretty decent deal...

I still like E.J. Manuel better but that's just me...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    You got Flynn's contract wrong. Flynn's salary is 5.5 this year, with a 2 mill guarantee. His cap hit is 7.5 but seattle will be on the hook for the 2mill amortization. His salary is 6.5 next year but with no guarantees. That said, I rather have Foles for a 3rd than Flynn for less draft compensation.

Flynn's contract was a 6mill SB and 4 mill in guarantees and 19.5 over three years, with another 10M in incentives which he did not reach as he did not start.
    Thanks, I just took his contract and moved it over, when it comes to trades, I'm not sure how it works exactly.

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    Post Thanks / Like
    I watched Foles when he got the job last year...not sure where all the hoopla is coming from....I would rather Matt Flynn.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    In those last 4 games, he was also 102/166 for a completion percentage of 61.5%.

If you take those stats over a 16 game season, they would look like this:

408/664, 61.5%, 4,640 yards, 20 TD's and 8 INT's.

That might be a slight upgrade over Sanchise.
    There is more to it than stats though.

It took him awhile to get used to the pressure in the NFL and even when it looked like he put it together he was still skittish at the first sign of someone in his face.

Now I know the Eagle's line was horrendous but he still didn't sit in the pocket and deliver.

I honestly value him as a 4th and no higher.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfreak View Post
    I watched Foles when he got the job last year...not sure where all the hoopla is coming from....I would rather Matt Flynn.
    When your best QB is Mark Sanchez, who is complete garage, there will be hoopla surounding any QB linked to the Jets.

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    Post Thanks / Like
    True indeed but it's not like Foles is our only option.

Quote Originally Posted by LockeJET View Post
    When your best QB is Mark Sanchez, who is complete garage, there will be hoopla surounding any QB linked to the Jets.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Idzik should have his house incinerated if he trades any picks for Nick Foles. He's trash.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfreak View Post
    Matt flynn's old coach passed on him when he went to Miami. If he thought he was the answer he would have snagged him when he had the chance. Then he was beat out by a rookie. If that doesn't raise red flags for you I'm not sure what would.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dustykeller View Post
    Idzik should have his house incinerated if he trades any picks for Nick Foles. He's trash.
    I haven't seen enough of Foles to make that determination, but based on his numbers, he seems like he had a pretty solid rookie season. Wasn't spectacular, but he was a rookie after all.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Matt flynn's old coach passed on him when he went to Miami. If he thought he was the answer he would have snagged him when he had the chance. Then he was beat out by a rookie. If that doesn't raise red flags for you I'm not sure what would.
    Quoted for Truth.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    I haven't seen enough of Foles to make that determination, but based on his numbers, he seems like he had a pretty solid rookie season. Wasn't spectacular, but he was a rookie after all.
    He's a square peg in a round hole in regards to running a WCO. Doesn't have a strong arm, and isn't very accurate (60% completion). Obviously he's better than Sanchez, but that's not saying much.

I think the Jets should wait until the 2014 draft to find their franchise QB, in lieu of trading away picks for a band-aid.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dustykeller View Post
    He's a square peg in a round hole in regards to running a WCO. Doesn't have a strong arm, and isn't very accurate (60% completion). Obviously he's better than Sanchez, but that's not saying much.

I think the Jets should wait until the 2014 draft to find their franchise QB, in lieu of trading away picks for a band-aid.
    Not a fan of Foles but the only knocks on him are his durability and his ability under pressure

Everything you named as a "weakness" is actually his strengths

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I based making this move squarely on IF Morninweg saw something in Foles to be an above average QB. We would be spending a 3rd rounder on a sophomore in the NFL. Not saying he would be elite immediately but it basically saves us a season of coaching because he already got it, he is comfortable in this offense and Marty will be able to open the playbook more. He is tall, has a strong arm and knows more about our offense than any of our current players. He showed promise as a rookie last year when given the starts, all we need is someone who doesn't turn the ball over to be competitive, if he actually does something on top of not giving the ball away then I believe we have our QB of the future.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is not true. They wanted him and offered him a deal. He decided he liked seattle's deal better.