Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Foles for a 3rd- sign me up

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by dustykeller View Post
    He's a square peg in a round hole in regards to running a WCO. Doesn't have a strong arm, and isn't very accurate (60% completion). Obviously he's better than Sanchez, but that's not saying much.

I think the Jets should wait until the 2014 draft to find their franchise QB, in lieu of trading away picks for a band-aid.
    What?

Foles has a pretty damn strong arm and since when is completing over 60% of your passes considered inaccurate, especially for a rookie?

Also, Andy Reid and our very own Marty Mornhinweg, two WCO gurus, played a big part in drafting him.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    Things I pull from that video comparing to him coming out of
    college

Does a much better job keeping his eyes down field on the move.

Does a much better job with ball placement than he did in college

Does a better job finding his check downs

Still makes boneheaded throws under pressure when he can't escape the pocket

Still tries to rely on his big arm to squeeze it into windows

Needs to do a better job not locking onto one receiver for that long

Improvement, but has he reached his ceiling?

Quote Originally Posted by FreshBaked 24 7 View Post
    college

I think it's incredibly rare for a QB to reach his ceiling after 8 games. Obviously he has to have the right coaching to improve, but there are only a few cases where a QB's best season was his rookie year (and without injury/laziness)

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    I think it's incredibly rare for a QB to reach his ceiling after 8 games. Obviously he has to have the right coaching to improve, but there are only a few cases where a QB's best season was his rookie year (and without injury/laziness)
    A lot of scouts believed that he reached his ceiling his last year of college, so it's impressive that he fixed 2 of probably his 6 most glaring problems, but how much longer can a coaching staff expect to squeeze blood from a stone?

All Pro
    college

Yeah he's not going to get any better after all these years. I don't know what his ceiling is, but I'm pretty sure he hasn't reached it. He may never reach it. Most players never do. He has improved quite a bit, which is actually a good sign for us, and our OC. He has turned quite a few young QBs into high draft pick trades. I'll defer to him whether this kid is anything special, or if he thinks he can do as well with someone else.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    A lot of scouts believed that he reached his ceiling his last year of college, so it's impressive that he fixed 2 of probably his 6 most glaring problems, but how much longer can a coaching staff expect to squeeze blood from a stone?
    I don't think he stays to long in Philly once they find someone to replace Vick, just not going to be here maybe out to KC. I would like to see him play. Play in the sense to see what happens, if he isn't a Jet phuck em'.
    Last edited by Apache 51; 02-22-2013 at 05:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    Did you really just put colt McCoy and upside in the same sentence?
    Colt looked good in 2011. He had no help at all and was the only bright spot on the O. He had no RB or WRs all he had was a TE. At very least he is a better QB then anyone we have and would be dirt cheap. Flynn hasn't done half of what Colt has done and is overpaid. Without a doubt I'd take him over Flynn. He may not be 6'6 and 220 lbs but he can at least pass the ball and make plays.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    Colt looked good in 2011. He had no help at all and was the only bright spot on the O. He had no RB or WRs all he had was a TE. At very least he is a better QB then anyone we have and would be dirt cheap. Flynn hasn't done half of what Colt has done and is overpaid. Without a doubt I'd take him over Flynn. He may not be 6'6 and 220 lbs but he can at least pass the ball and make plays.
    I'll be surprised if Colt McCoy can tie his own shoes after the hits he's taken

pass

Foles has been a productive signal-caller for Arizona through three years as a starter and has the arm strength and size that warrants first-day consideration for teams looking to fill a void at quarterback. He is a mechanically sound passer who has a solid release. In a different year, Foles might have been considered the top quarterback in the class. He is a big-time leader who rarely gets rattled. Foles' athletic ability will be a concern to some, and some project him as a "game manager" type. But his skill set speaks for itself, so he should be at least a serviceable starter at the next level. If teams can fall in love with his arm strength, he could be selected as early as the second round to develop and become an eventual starter.
    ANALYSIS
    STRENGTHS Foles has a strong arm that gets him through various other hitches in his game. There are times when Foles throws the deep, cross-field out-route off his back foot -- while facing pressure -- accurately and with ease. Though he is not the most athletic quarterback, he avoids pressure in the pocket and has a good sense of how and when to extend a play to his advantage. As a deep passer he has strength but can struggle with accuracy at times. His accuracy is evident in his short-to-intermediate throws, where he can put it right on a receiver or give him the proper lead. He would be more valuable in a West Coast scheme that would allow him to make quick decisions and not be forced to unleash deep throws on a consistent basis. He is an excellent game manager, moving the ball in bunches up the field. He is extremely poised in the pocket and rarely lets a heavy pass rush rattle his throws.
    WEAKNESSES Foles' mobility has been his Achilles' heel and likely will be exposed even more at the next level. He is solely a pocket passer and hardly ever moves the chains with his feet. He has the ability to extend plays, but he is not going to outrun any defenders at the next level. His mechanics can slide when he improvises, although his actual passes rarely are affected. He struggles with his accuracy on deep balls. His release time is sufficient but not fast by any means. His judgment with the ball has been questioned, as he can be slow to throw and often chooses to scramble in unappealing scenarios.

Looks a lot better than some of the choices in this years draft. He has improved on the majority of his shortcoming. His mobility improved greatly.
    I would have no problem giving up a third for this guy instead of a second or first for any of these guys in this draft.

What do you think?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by FTL Jet Fan View Post
    Foles has been a productive signal-caller for Arizona through three years as a starter?
    when?

as for his NFL "career", proved to the Eagles satisfaction last year that he is a JAG backup at best

we have a bunch of them already

Garrard is a better stopgap

Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    when?

as for his NFL "career", proved to the Eagles satisfaction last year that he is a JAG backup at best

we have a bunch of them already

Garrard is a better stopgap
    That was his scouting report coming out of college. I have watched all of the games that he has played in Philly and was rather impressed how he did in Marty M's system.
    I think he will be more than a JAG.
    Thanks for your opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by FTL Jet Fan View Post
    Foles has been a productive signal-caller for Arizona through three years as a starter and has the arm strength and size that warrants first-day consideration for teams looking to fill a void at quarterback. He is a mechanically sound passer who has a solid release. In a different year, Foles might have been considered the top quarterback in the class. He is a big-time leader who rarely gets rattled. Foles' athletic ability will be a concern to some, and some project him as a "game manager" type. But his skill set speaks for itself, so he should be at least a serviceable starter at the next level. If teams can fall in love with his arm strength, he could be selected as early as the second round to develop and become an eventual starter.
    ANALYSIS
    STRENGTHS Foles has a strong arm that gets him through various other hitches in his game. There are times when Foles throws the deep, cross-field out-route off his back foot -- while facing pressure -- accurately and with ease. Though he is not the most athletic quarterback, he avoids pressure in the pocket and has a good sense of how and when to extend a play to his advantage. As a deep passer he has strength but can struggle with accuracy at times. His accuracy is evident in his short-to-intermediate throws, where he can put it right on a receiver or give him the proper lead. He would be more valuable in a West Coast scheme that would allow him to make quick decisions and not be forced to unleash deep throws on a consistent basis. He is an excellent game manager, moving the ball in bunches up the field. He is extremely poised in the pocket and rarely lets a heavy pass rush rattle his throws.
    WEAKNESSES Foles' mobility has been his Achilles' heel and likely will be exposed even more at the next level. He is solely a pocket passer and hardly ever moves the chains with his feet. He has the ability to extend plays, but he is not going to outrun any defenders at the next level. His mechanics can slide when he improvises, although his actual passes rarely are affected. He struggles with his accuracy on deep balls. His release time is sufficient but not fast by any means. His judgment with the ball has been questioned, as he can be slow to throw and often chooses to scramble in unappealing scenarios.

Looks a lot better than some of the choices in this years draft. He has improved on the majority of his shortcoming. His mobility improved greatly.
    I would have no problem giving up a third for this guy instead of a second or first for any of these guys in this draft.

What do you think?
    Your talking a matter of odds here. Foles has a low up side which is why he is movable. Will likely not even make the team in Philly so why give anything up for him? Teams do not trade good young QBs that may have a future. This is also Philly how has traded QBs like Feeley, Kolb, McNabb, and Garcia who have all busted on new teams, BIG. Taking a QB from Philly is worse then drafting USC QB. You are much more likely to get a viable starter drafting a guy in the 2rd or even 3rd round then trading for one. There is 0 reason to be scared of drafting a QB in mid rounds with this class. Again 1st round OK I get it but there is a ton of guys worth a 2-3 round pick here.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by REDDOG2004 View Post
    If you include Sanchez to the deal, You'de have to give up your first rd picks for the next 3 years for the eagles to even consider it.
    rotflmao

Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    Revis for Foles, Bryce Brown, their 2nd round pick and a conditional 2nd next year if he signs an extension.
    No Way. They can keep Foles for nothing.

Foles looked better than fine last year for rookie. He's got a nice arm, solid accuracy.
    I'd love the Jets to get him, just not sure what value the Eagles want to recoup or what game they a playing right now...

I think this crop of QB's are so weak, they want something crazy for him...
    A 2nd for sure... Maybe more...

Better to wait this one out, once they realize he won't fit their scheme, or they themselves draft another qb (geno?), a better deal will be struck...

When this happens and I think it will, I think the Jets end up being in the mix, we'll see...

Quote Originally Posted by Monsterxman View Post
    Foles looked better than fine last year for rookie. He's got a nice arm, solid accuracy.
    I'd love the Jets to get him, just not sure what value the Eagles want to recoup or what game they a playing right now...

I think this crop of QB's are so weak, they want something crazy for him...
    A 2nd for sure... Maybe more...

Better to wait this one out, once they realize he won't fit their scheme, or they themselves draft another qb (geno?), a better deal will be struck...

When this happens and I think it will, I think the Jets end up being in the mix, we'll see...
    I think you are right, if something does happen it will be after the draft. If Marty likes him I think we will be in the mix

If the Jets trade Revis, and acquire a 3rd round pick as part of the compensation, I would entertain talks regarding a trade to acquire Foles.

Eagles keep AJ Kolb for nothing. Sign me up.

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    What?

Foles has a pretty damn strong arm and since when is completing over 60% of your passes considered inaccurate, especially for a rookie?

Also, Andy Reid and our very own Marty Mornhinweg, two WCO gurus, played a big part in drafting him.
    Jamarcus Russell can have over a 60% completion percentage in a West Coast package that has a very high number of throws to the flats, drags and slants. You guys act like Philly is this factory of young qb talent outside McNabb and Vick for 1 season the Reid regime didn't produce any competent NFL qb's.